SKYRIM, a Blog of sorts..

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tengal Krakenbane

Re: SKYRIM, a Blog of sorts..

#91 Post by Tengal Krakenbane »

I'm a lvl. 31 Wood Elf Ranger. Been wanderin' in the wilds and leveling up a tad too much to enjoy some quests (liberating Skyrim was too easy and over quickly, the only problem was that my puny Stormcloak friends made the game freeze a lot). Also, killing a few beasts on an epic hunter trial-by-fire and gaining an amulet of +5% bow damage, -10% damage taken from animals was lame. :D Should continue on the dragonslaying quest line...
~
Meif

#92 Post by Meif »

I have a hood which gives bows +35% damage :P
[quote="EricJ"]I guess Swedes are just a tad more gay than your average European.
And Finns a tad more masculine.[/quote]
CainTheHunter

#93 Post by CainTheHunter »

Enchanting skill increase must You!
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#94 Post by Eldacar »

Meif wrote:I have a hood which gives bows +35% damage :P
Using the Fortify Smithing/Alchemy/Enchanting loop and the Fortify Restoration glitch, it is possible to get much higher than that. For example, I have a ring that enhances one-handed damage by 241%, while also boosting magic resistance by 119% (and magic resistance applies to fire, frost, shock, and dragon breath attacks).
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
Tengal Krakenbane

#95 Post by Tengal Krakenbane »

... aaaaand lost my save. Let a couple friends try it and start a new game, now I can't find my save anywhere, despite the fact my friends never saved manually. :-k
~
Meif

#96 Post by Meif »

Eldacar wrote:
Meif wrote:I have a hood which gives bows +35% damage :P
Using the Fortify Smithing/Alchemy/Enchanting loop and the Fortify Restoration glitch, it is possible to get much higher than that. For example, I have a ring that enhances one-handed damage by 241%, while also boosting magic resistance by 119% (and magic resistance applies to fire, frost, shock, and dragon breath attacks).
Well, my enchanting is like 41, same with alchemy. No perks in either. Smithing is 100, though.
[quote="EricJ"]I guess Swedes are just a tad more gay than your average European.
Tengal Krakenbane

#97 Post by Tengal Krakenbane »

Started a new game, playing a High Elf mage knight kinda deal (mostly one-handed, destruction and heavy armour). Dying a little more often than with the ranger, but like the fact I don't need to wuss around running and sneaking. Hate the fact I'm now getting diseases and getting poisoned much more often now. :D
~
Meif

#98 Post by Meif »

I'm playing a Breton with heavy armor and two-handed weapon. Running in the midst of enemies and bashing them all to bits is fun :mrgreen: .
CainTheHunter

#99 Post by CainTheHunter »

It gets much easier if You add Conjuration :) And if You throw in Illusion as well, things get a bit more different. With Illusion and Conjuration You can clear dungeons without actually hitting anybody.
Meif wrote:I'm playing a Breton with heavy armor and two-handed weapon. Running in the midst of enemies and bashing them all to bits is fun :mrgreen: .
But not very fluffy :) Bretons are designed for a more subtle gameplay :P
Phloop

#100 Post by Phloop »

Started over with an altmer mage myself.

If I get hit once, I'm dead. But that's only IF. Magic rocks.
[size=50]Track record since May 2011:[/size]
Ξ W 16 Ξ L 34 Ξ D 5 Ξ
[quote="Ptolemy"]Becalming [Cognition] is a bastard. Its a bastard child of OJ Simpson and Cruella DeVille. [...] As if having a giant Toad that got instructions on magic from ET wasn't enough, they give it the powers of Zen Buddhist Kung-Fu flick monks on top of it.[/quote]
Meif

#101 Post by Meif »

CainTheHunter wrote:But not very fluffy :) Bretons are designed for a more subtle gameplay :P
I took a Breton because of the 25% magic resistance and Dragonskin. The kind of characters I play usually have no probs against physical damage but tend to get owned by mages casting cold spells etc.
CainTheHunter

#102 Post by CainTheHunter »

Today I defeated a dragon in my underpants only. Seriously. The game is awesome, but random effects tend to be stupid sometimes :P
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#103 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Lvl 8 Nord at the moment. Mainly single handed, but with destruction and restoration thrown in - also raise dead for kicks.

Killed a Dragon - which is a bit silly when I then got killed A LOT by a sabercat. Ah well, can only improve :P
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Phloop

#104 Post by Phloop »

Prince_Asuryan wrote: Killed a Dragon - which is a bit silly when I then got killed A LOT by a sabercat. Ah well, can only improve :P
Don't even joke. The roar those sabercats make haunt my dreams. You'll just be walking along in an icy tundra, minding your own business, then WHAM! You're f-ing dead with a cat licking its stupid chops.
[size=50]Track record since May 2011:[/size]
Ξ W 16 Ξ L 34 Ξ D 5 Ξ
[quote="Ptolemy"]Becalming [Cognition] is a bastard. Its a bastard child of OJ Simpson and Cruella DeVille. [...] As if having a giant Toad that got instructions on magic from ET wasn't enough, they give it the powers of Zen Buddhist Kung-Fu flick monks on top of it.[/quote]
Mentheus of Caledor

#105 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

On the topic of unexpected and very sudden deaths...
anyone made the mistake of venturing into Lost Valkygg?
I found myself in there, (obviously nowhere near a high enough level...) slaying some run of the mill draugr - as I made my way into the dark expanse of a cave-like section... All I hear is a "thuck", I get taken off my feet and die. "HUH???". So I reload. And do it again, and the same thing happens.
Turns out Draugr Deathlords with ebony bows are... somewhat... Dangerous :)
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
CainTheHunter

#106 Post by CainTheHunter »

Cython wrote:On the topic of unexpected and very sudden deaths...
anyone made the mistake of venturing into Lost Valkygg?
I found myself in there, (obviously nowhere near a high enough level...) slaying some run of the mill draugr - as I made my way into the dark expanse of a cave-like section... All I hear is a "thuck", I get taken off my feet and die. "HUH???". So I reload. And do it again, and the same thing happens.
Turns out Draugr Deathlords with ebony bows are... somewhat... Dangerous :)
It is somewhere near that Labyrinthian thing? I stumbled across those ruins, but failed to find my way into - probably tried the wrong part. I've read the description - that Draugr is always levelled 15 levels above Yours and uses Disarm shout, so he will pose some problems to any melee character.
In fact, dragons are the easiest oponents, since they are always levelled (unless there are two of them spawning at the same time). Except, sometimes they can be annoying - two of them spawned in the wilderness, where I was catching mudcrab souls for my enchanting practice. Needless, to say, beasties killed all mudcrabs, wild bears and rest of the fauna. The underpants incident happened in Solitude when Spoiler I had already handled my serious equipment to Malborn and was talking to Delphine to drop the rest of the stuff, when - bang, here we are... One lassie even made a remark that I should feel embarassed. As much as I could see on the avatar, there was nothing to feel embarassed, quite the contrary :P End of spoiler

I have also a question for those who finished the main quest already.
Spoiler If I have not started the Civil War faction quests and proceed with the main quest Season Unending - the peace treaty negotiations - do the Civil War faction quests disappear afterwards? End of spoiler
Mentheus of Caledor

#107 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

Yeah, its right next to labryinthian. Short answer, yes. Unfortunately... :( or at least they have for me. Could just be a bug, however...
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
Aethyr

#108 Post by Aethyr »

Hi guys.

Making a character based on Eltharion the Grim.
Two Hander, Bow, some 'limited' magic tricks(alteration "ward save" and perhaps a fireball of sorts, i plan on limiting his actual use of combat magic as i dont think he relies on it as much as his prowess as a warrior). Medium Armor.

Any tips/thoughts?
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
CainTheHunter

#109 Post by CainTheHunter »

Aethyr wrote:Hi guys.

Making a character based on Eltharion the Grim.
Two Hander, Bow, some 'limited' magic tricks(alteration "ward save" and perhaps a fireball of sorts, i plan on limiting his actual use of combat magic as i dont think he relies on it as much as his prowess as a warrior). Medium Armor.

Any tips/thoughts?
There is no such thing as medium armor - light or heavy only. And for that You'll have to do some smithing work :). Two handed sounds good - though I cannot say anything about perks, since I did not even bothered looking into. I am using one-handed from time to time, but haven't picked up a single perk. In fact, with limited magic in destruction (that's where fireballs come from) You can't do anything much - You either have to invest into perks and raise the skill, or better not bother. I have destruction around 56 now, and sometimes I feel that double Lighting bolt is not enough, but sometimes Lighting bolt and Fireball combo is devastating.
One point of advice - do not neglect Restoration - for a mage-knight IMO this is far more important school.
Does Sneaking feel like totally off the way for Your character? If not, I recently discovered that it has some nasty potential.
Cython wrote:Yeah, its right next to labryinthian. Short answer, yes. Unfortunately... :( or at least they have for me. Could just be a bug, however...
I dunno, maybe there are actually good news for me. I wanted initially to side with Ulfric, since Stormcloaks helped me initially to escape from Helgen, but things he is doing are definitely weakening the Empire and playing in Thalmor favor. Plus, I really LOVE Whiterun, it is my home now, I have acquaintainces and own a house there. So I'd hate to assault that city. As far from Imperial point of view, I'd hate to slay Ulfric, since there is something which I like about him, despite all that I previously said. So the truce option sounds really good for me.
Tengal Krakenbane

#110 Post by Tengal Krakenbane »

There is no such thing as medium armor - light or heavy only.
And as far as perks go, having some heavy armour and some light armour (like a chestplate with scale braces/gauntlets and whatnot for that Asur feel) may seem like a cool idea, but doesn't really work. It could work if heavy armour was that much heavier and clunkier than light and it would be neat middleground but since you can have perks that only benefit if you have a matching set and heavy armour doesn't really make you go at crawling speed, it's not that effective.
~
choclatecruncher16

#111 Post by choclatecruncher16 »

My guy is a lvl 46 altmer, light Armour and 2 handed with restoration, never thought using 2 handed with light armour would work, but legendary elven Armour is far two pretty....
think im on 60 dragon kills, only a couple of giants though :P

My hated foe is defiantly saber-cats though, back at lvl 2-10 they murdered my dude all the time.

And holy heck no wonder the Thalmor are such a powerful foe in the fluff!, they seem to dodge these knee seeking arrows with shocking effectiveness!.
[color=#0080BF]"I shall not give up a single scrap of Ulthuan without an entire ocean of druchii blood spilled in its name!"[/color]
[color=#0080BF]Tyrion-Sons of Ellyrion[/color]
Total scores with high elves since start of 2009.
W/ D /L
49 19 18
Paraicj

#112 Post by Paraicj »

Soooo, my brothers bought me a PS3 and Skyrim for christmas. All I need now is a TV to actually play it, then I'll see if it's worth the fuss...
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/mora3q5k.gif[/img]
[i]Dread Lord Zakhital Goremane the Incompetent, 181 kills 5/22/11
[color=red][b]Vaul's Vengeful Villain[/b][/color]
[url=http://img3.abload.de/img/paraicamonueiq.jpg]Paraicamon, I choose you![/url][/i]
NoOoDLe

#113 Post by NoOoDLe »

I love it how around level 20 a dragon is a piece of cake and a chaurus reaver violates you and every dream you've ever had in 2-3 blows.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
choclatecruncher16

#114 Post by choclatecruncher16 »

NoOoDLe wrote:I love it how around level 20 a dragon is a piece of cake and a chaurus reaver violates you and every dream you've ever had in 2-3 blows.
Wait until you find an ancient dragon and a frost one at the same time with near zero cover...
[color=#0080BF]"I shall not give up a single scrap of Ulthuan without an entire ocean of druchii blood spilled in its name!"[/color]
W/ D /L
49 19 18
Meif

#115 Post by Meif »

choclatecruncher16 wrote:Wait until you find an ancient dragon and a frost one at the same time with near zero cover...
Been there, done that. With potions to victory.
choclatecruncher16

#116 Post by choclatecruncher16 »

I actually didn't use potions that time, just lots of restoration magic...
Next challenge fist fight a giant...
W/ D /L
49 19 18
Facade19

#117 Post by Facade19 »

EricJ

#118 Post by EricJ »

Paraicj wrote:All I need now is a TV to actually play it, then I'll see if it's worth the fuss... RO DAH!
There, I fixed it.
[i]"I am a big believer in technology and I’m a big believer in openness when it comes to the flow of information. I think that the more freely information flows, the stronger the society becomes, because then citizens of countries around the world can hold their own governments accountable."[/i]
- [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWvBQyRTJD8]Barack Obama[/url]
Paraicj

#119 Post by Paraicj »

So, I'm all set up and on my way. A Dark Elf bowman/mage, no real hand-to-hand or armour skills, we'll see how it goes. I'm level 10, so far so handy enough, my ratchet up the game difficulty.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/mora3q5k.gif[/img]
[i]Dread Lord Zakhital Goremane the Incompetent, 181 kills 5/22/11
[color=red][b]Vaul's Vengeful Villain[/b][/color]
[url=http://img3.abload.de/img/paraicamonueiq.jpg]Paraicamon, I choose you![/url][/i]
Greenman

#120 Post by Greenman »

Theres a surprisingly satisfying aspect to elder scrolls discovered by the missus and I was wondering if anyone else here had discovered it.
I refer, of course, to soft furnishings and table laying.

Quite a bit of skill required and an eye for detail... Mind you, she plays awood elf