Starting a club in Cambridge, UK. First meeting 26th October

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

small_furry_spider

Starting a club in Cambridge, UK. First meeting 26th October

#1 Post by small_furry_spider »

Some friends and I have become fed up with the serious lack of an gaming facilities in/near Cambridge so we are setting up our own club.
The website is: sonsofwar.org.uk

However, if you can't be bother to go that far, here are some of the details listed below. If you think you might be interested please come and try us out, as if we don't get enough people turning up, the club won't last. If you have any questions you can either PM me or post in this thread.

Welcome to Sons of War. We are a new wargaming club based in Cambridge, UK. We will soon be affiliated with the GCN, but welcome anyone who wants to play games from Warhammer 40k and Warmachine to board games and RPGs.

Our first meeting will be held on:

Wednesday 26th October, 2011 (tomorrow!)
6.00pm til 10.30pm

Flamsteed Road off Rustat Rd
Cambridge
CB1 3QU

£3 per session as a one off
£2.50 per session with 6 month membership at £10
Annual Membership £15

9 gaming tables with full terrain
7 of which are full 6′x4′ tables… eager and willing for you to spill 40k blood onto..

PLEASE NOTE: WE SUPPORT ANY AND ALL GAMING SYSTEMS….COME AND PLAY
small_furry_spider

Re: Starting a club in Cambridge, UK. First meeting 26th October

#2 Post by small_furry_spider »

This is*our Sons of War Newsletter - our attempt to keep in touch with you guys and let you know what is happening at the club.*
What's up at the club then? All*sorts!! We are now supporting even more gaming systems than ever*before and hope that this caters to all your needs!
Any game you want to try and come along to play..we can support it!
We actively support (they are played each week at the club) the following games:
- Warhammer
- Warhammer 40K
- LotR Strategy Battle
- Blood Bowl !!
- Malifaux
- Infinity (we are about to launch an escalation league, so if you are new or want to check it out, come on down)
- Dystopian Wars (Whoot! NEW!! Several of us have taken a plunge into the oceans of Dystopian Wars and are loving it! Come on down and check it out!)
In addition to these we are playing a lot more card games, from Magic The Gathering to Munchkin (a current personal favourite!) and even board games such as Small World.. we actively encourage you guys to come om down and check them out.. they are great if*you finish your game early and are seeking*a quick filler for 1/2 hour to an hour*before returning to the real world!

Don't forget to spread the word either, we are always looking to grow the club and the more people you guys introduce the club to, the less we are able to Icharge you for using the facility.
I personally dream of the day we can charge you guys a £10 annual fee and then just £0.50p per evening.. we have the gaming boards, terrain and capacity to do this.. but we need you in order to do that! So if you have a mate or a few friends that play regularly, why not bring them all down to the club and throw down the gauntlet to the club? *

*Lastly for today, please, please, please let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your gaming experience! We operate this club so that gamers can go to one place, once a week and play anything they like for a bargain price! But if we are getting the club experience wrong, please let us know either in person, email or on the forums.. we run this thing for you guys afterall..
That's it for May, I look forward to seeing all of you down at the club for some excellent games over the next few weeks.
'Til next time,
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm no where near anything in the UK, but did want to comment that if this is real and it's working (seems that it is) then I'm quite impressed.
Caradryal

#4 Post by Caradryal »

if only you were nearer to me
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=46653]New Blog - Warlock of the Black Tower(8th Edition)[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=49906]Ogre Blog - The Manglegut Tribe[/url]

[color=#000000]Caradryal's Host (HE) W 1 D 0 L 1[/color]
[color=#FF0000]The Manglegut Tribe (Ogres) W 3 D0 L2[/color]
small_furry_spider

#5 Post by small_furry_spider »

Well, the club is running, but more members would certainly make things better! We are particularly light on fantasy players, which is my preferred system. We got quite a good kick start when the local GW threw away all their non-GW scenery and boards a year or two ago. One of the committee members collected them in a van and had been storing them in case we started a club. The hall is a bit expensive so we are just making ends meet at the minute (my fellow committee member who wrote the newsletter is a bit optimistic about the future pricing!), but I see no reason why we should not be around for the long haul.

If there is no club near you, then you could always start one with some friends, to reduce the cost/hassle. Have you checked out the warhammer players society list in case there is one near you already?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#6 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

small_furry_spider wrote:We got quite a good kick start when the local GW threw away all their non-GW scenery and boards a year or two ago.
GW has gone kind of crazy on some things. I remember when they used to really push people to make their own terrain, now it seems they'd much prefer you buy it, and only from them.

We have a really good group here, we meet in my pole barn pretty much whenever anyone wants a game (I've given copies of the keys to the guys who I've known for a long time). There are 10 of us, some who've been playing together for over two decades and a couple who are new in the last few months. Not bad for a small town. It's a bit of a drive over here for some of them now, and a lot of us have gotten married. So mostly I play about one weekend a month now, unless we have a big campaign going on (we do at least one a year). Right now we're on a push to understand 8th so we've been playing a bit more often, the wife has even joined in for a couple games.
small_furry_spider

#7 Post by small_furry_spider »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: GW has gone kind of crazy on some things. I remember when they used to really push people to make their own terrain, now it seems they'd much prefer you buy it, and only from them.
Yeah, I go to the odd GW tournament particularly doubles with a friend as we live a couple of hours apart now. Last year they specified "bring a terrain piece" and there was a range of cool stuff on show, this year the rules pack stated "bring a terrain piece based on a current GW scenery piece"... I don't think I have ever seen a more exciting range of hills, towers and woods #-o
We have a really good group here, we meet in my pole barn pretty much whenever anyone wants a game (I've given copies of the keys to the guys who I've known for a long time). There are 10 of us, some who've been playing together for over two decades and a couple who are new in the last few months. Not bad for a small town. It's a bit of a drive over here for some of them now, and a lot of us have gotten married. So mostly I play about one weekend a month now, unless we have a big campaign going on (we do at least one a year). Right now we're on a push to understand 8th so we've been playing a bit more often, the wife has even joined in for a couple games.
You are quite fortunate- none of us have anywhere big enough to hold something like that, you can't put many tables in a standard garage. The local GW used to have a battle bunker with 6 tables downstairs and 2 upstairs, which was great if a bit limiting in games you could play. After they shut it down it meant a year plus of virtually not gaming for many of us, before we set the club up. A lot of the guys have just drifted away but we are hoping we can draw them back.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#8 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

You are quite fortunate- none of us have anywhere big enough to hold something like that, you can't put many tables in a standard garage. The local GW used to have a battle bunker with 6 tables downstairs and 2 upstairs, which was great if a bit limiting in games you could play. After they shut it down it meant a year plus of virtually not gaming for many of us, before we set the club up. A lot of the guys have just drifted away but we are hoping we can draw them back.
It's one of the many advantages to being a ruralish American. We have so much more room available then most of Europe (we also spend a fair bit of time in Switzerland, also a nice place- but much more expensive for living space.)