Freedom of Speech?

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tahl

Re: Freedom of Speech?

#31 Post by Tahl »

@Andrew_Uk there are laws against those sorts of things, I remember my grandad pointing out a newspaper article about a guy fined £80 for blowing his nose whilst behind the wheel.

In Scotland there's currently two new proposals trying to get passed. The first is that kiosks are outlawed with tobacco products having to be under the counter and out of sight.

The second is that all packets lose their branding and therefore look something like this

Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
Tengal Krakenbane

#32 Post by Tengal Krakenbane »

I love the fact all smoking is seen as a nasty, perpetual habit that slowly kills you so that people who occasionally buy a pack of cigarillos (or even cigarettes, God forbid) or cigars garner as much as hate as those poor nicotine addiction ridden tar-lungs looking for the cheapest smokes just because there's a SMOKING KILLS YOU sticker on the packs. Yeah, it's still unhealthy, but much less so because of the rather random nature of the smoking, and also more brand-centered, which is harmed by the stickers.
~
Keith

#33 Post by Keith »

Tahl wrote:"Five tobacco companies have sued the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) over a new law that would force them to place graphic health warnings on their cigarette packets."

Full story here

"Picture packets" have been kicking about in the UK for the last few years but it seems that a suggested law to introduce them to the US has drawn much ire from the tobacco companies who claim it's a violation of their freedom of speech.
"In their 41-page complaint, the five companies say the new labels would illegally force them to make consumers "depressed, discouraged and afraid" to buy their products.

"The government can require warnings which are straightforward and essentially uncontroversial, but they can't require a cigarette pack to serve as a mini-billboard for the government's anti-smoking campaign," Floyd Abrams, a lawyer representing the cigarette makers, said in a statement."

A fair complaint?
The biggest issue with this is that a Company is considered a "person" therefore having the right to free speech. That is also how they are able to "donate" to political campaigns here. It is really a huge problem.

They used laws intended to protect newly freed slaves in to claim personhood for a company.
Defender of Ulthuan
spafe2302

#34 Post by spafe2302 »

Reckon due to the seriousness of the potential ill effects, yeah governemnt should be able to put these up. Same way they put up warning signs showing graphic images of bikers coming off and getting road rash from not wearing proper gear. Its to show people the consquences of their actions. They can then make slightly more informed desicions. If they imply 'you smoke you die of cancer aged 30' then its wrong, but if they only put it forwards as significantly increases your chances of such and such then I dont see why theres a problem.

And for all those people who say no health care spent on them, really? I mean really? well I choose to ride a motorbike, its more dangerous than a car, I accept that and if I total myself, I have myself to blame (if a car hits me another matter, but...) however I would still want hospital if needed, and help to recover. I've paid for that. same deal with smokers, they have paid, they then later need help, so be it. To argue anything else is stupid, whats that, you like cycling, dont be silly, thats dangerous, whats that, you like playing sports, dont be silly, thats dangerous. etc etc. Only leg I can see for that arguement is hurting others, well society has moved on, in good ole blighty, no smoking inside, (including bus shelters). There are some smoking zones outside pubs etc to go smoke, and usually outside work offices etc. so they arnt hurting anyone else.

Sorry for the rant

(damm, jsut noticed date, sorry for the necro, assumed since it was on 1st page it was still new)