StarCraft II, Wings of Liberty

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

EricJ

StarCraft II, Wings of Liberty

#1 Post by EricJ »

I figure the absence of a topic is due to either that no-one is in the beta, or that they're all too busy playing to actually talk about it.

Me, I'm barely out of the placement matches and have been playing Terran the whole time. I absolutely can't win 1v1 unless I catch them with their pants down with no defence against cloaked Banshees, though I'm improving at backing them up with Vikings. (Makro'ing is hard)

So, who plays? What do you think of the game?
[i]"I am a big believer in technology and I’m a big believer in openness when it comes to the flow of information. I think that the more freely information flows, the stronger the society becomes, because then citizens of countries around the world can hold their own governments accountable."[/i]
- [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWvBQyRTJD8]Barack Obama[/url]
Aryel

Re: StarCraft II, Wings of Liberty

#2 Post by Aryel »

There's a Starcraft 2?!
I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say "snuggle 'em all!"
Uther Di Asturien

#3 Post by Uther Di Asturien »

Definitely in my "to get" list, and i've been watching some people play the Beta and I have to say I love the visuals.
Ambassador of the [url=http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org]Roundtable of Bretonnia[/url]

[quote="EricJ"]You're all (well.. except Raneth) forgetting the age-old dogma: on the internet, all men are men, all women are men, and all children are the FBI.[/quote]
"Brute force with care"
-Luna Guardian
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#4 Post by Luna Guardian »

What's a Star Craft?
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
EricJ

#5 Post by EricJ »

Uther Di Asturien wrote:Definitely in my "to get" list, and i've been watching some people play the Beta and I have to say I love the visuals.
I heard they're taking pre-orders now. Included with the pre-order is a beta key. :)
[i]"I am a big believer in technology and I’m a big believer in openness when it comes to the flow of information. I think that the more freely information flows, the stronger the society becomes, because then citizens of countries around the world can hold their own governments accountable."[/i]
Uther Di Asturien

#6 Post by Uther Di Asturien »

EricJ wrote:
Uther Di Asturien wrote:Definitely in my "to get" list, and i've been watching some people play the Beta and I have to say I love the visuals.
I heard they're taking pre-orders now. Included with the pre-order is a beta key. :)
Yeah, I know, but i'm much too busy right now to afford losing some sleep while dropship raping the enemy's base. :roll:
Ambassador of the [url=http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org]Roundtable of Bretonnia[/url]

[quote="EricJ"]You're all (well.. except Raneth) forgetting the age-old dogma: on the internet, all men are men, all women are men, and all children are the FBI.[/quote]
"Brute force with care"
-Luna Guardian
Giladis
The Merlord

#7 Post by Giladis »

I will be looking to have some fun when the game come. I still remember having tournaments during my high school Programing Class with the teacher usualy winning :D
NoOoDLe

#8 Post by NoOoDLe »

Waiting for it to hit the stores which is when I'll get it and play 'till my fingers bleed. :D

<3 the original
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
Ghost

#9 Post by Ghost »

I don't like how they have chosen to make it three seperate games for each campaign... But nonetheless i will be getting it for old time sake...
lathian

#10 Post by lathian »

Irritated by the fact that this one seems even more micro heavy than the last one.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
Spartan

#11 Post by Spartan »

I actually don't see myself ever getting this. Like lathian said, I've heard it's still full of micromanagement and resource gathering...and if that's true, then it doesn't interest me. RTS's are too monotonous, repetetive, and impersonal in my mind; these things combined with the need to build enormous bases, regardless of the context of the battle, really kill my suspension of disbelief.

I really like where Dawn of War has been taking the RTS concept, and unless StarCraft 2 is moving in that direction (that is, more troop-focused and less production-focused), I'll pass on it.
[i]"To contemplate letting the alien, the heretic or the traitor win just to save a few million lives is the worst kind of heresy, because it is clad in the mantle of good intentions."[/i]

"I am Aenarion's heir, not Aenarion himself. My fate is my own."
-Tyrion, Champion of the Everqueen
Meif

#12 Post by Meif »

lathian wrote:Irritated by the fact that this one seems even more micro heavy than the last one.
+1.

If I played online games or rts, I'd go for Dawn of War. Then again I'm a fan of turn-based gaming. Heroes of Might and Magic for the win! :D
[quote="EricJ"]I guess Swedes are just a tad more gay than your average European.
And Finns a tad more masculine.[/quote]
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#13 Post by Eldacar »

EricJ wrote:I figure the absence of a topic is due to either that no-one is in the beta, or that they're all too busy playing to actually talk about it.
I have a beta key. I've just been busy with other stuff.
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
VictorK

#14 Post by VictorK »

I don't think there's been a game that's ever been driven so much by cashing in on nostalgia.

Hell, even Doom 3 tried to innovate.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#15 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

More accurately; driven by South Koreans.
EricJ

#16 Post by EricJ »

Ugh, chilly responses here. :|
VictorK wrote:I don't think there's been a game that's ever been driven so much by cashing in on nostalgia.
True that, from what I've seen its very much like the original -- as a Terran you still build supply depots, barracks and factories and still produce marines, siege tanks. To me the differences are in the details -- they've basically taken the original game and tweaked a few things (supply depots now double as lowerable walls) and exchanged a few units with other, similar ones. (Valkyrie is now called Viking, and Wraith gave way to the Banshee)

That said, I'm greatly enjoying SC2. I liked the first one, and this is by almost every accord a better game.
lathian

#17 Post by lathian »

Spartan wrote:I actually don't see myself ever getting this. Like lathian said, I've heard it's still full of micromanagement and resource gathering...and if that's true, then it doesn't interest me. RTS's are too monotonous, repetetive, and impersonal in my mind; these things combined with the need to build enormous bases, regardless of the context of the battle, really kill my suspension of disbelief.

I really like where Dawn of War has been taking the RTS concept, and unless StarCraft 2 is moving in that direction (that is, more troop-focused and less production-focused), I'll pass on it.
I don't mind resource and unit production. Those are actually considered macro. What I would rather see is smarter automatic unit AI (don't mill around while being attacked) and none of that intense clicking micro by adding a large (like, 2 second) command delay. I can get into a gory click fest with my high templars, or my ghosts locking down massed groups of vehicles, or storming a ton of the field, I just don't think it's fun, or that I should have to.
As far as I know, there are only two things that deserve the fear of humanity. Uncertainty, and certainty. The fear of what is certain, one can come to terms with, while the uncertain, one cannot. I seek knowledge because I am a coward.
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Lathian/Lathiansig-1-2.png[/img]
Aethyr

#18 Post by Aethyr »

Ot on my list of games to get, first off, while it caters to the gamers who enjoyed the first, I personally believe the advances made in dow1, coh and dow2 are in the right direction and I just can't bring myself to play a game with such little unit ai.

Besides is rather be killing mutant heretics, mon keigh, foul orks, and swarms of pests in need of extermination.

For the craftworld!
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
Act of God

#19 Post by Act of God »

I don't have the beta, but from what I've seen, the new units are just more ripping off of 40k, change their names and you now have assault marines, and what looked like a dreadnaught.
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#20 Post by Seredain »

EricJ wrote:I figure the absence of a topic is due to either that no-one is in the beta, or that they're all too busy playing to actually talk about it.

Me, I'm barely out of the placement matches and have been playing Terran the whole time. I absolutely can't win 1v1 unless I catch them with their pants down with no defence against cloaked Banshees, though I'm improving at backing them up with Vikings. (Makro'ing is hard)

So, who plays? What do you think of the game?
I haven't got the beta but what I do have is a complete addiction to watching all the commentaries I can find on youtube (many many- in training for playing my friend Mat who always kicks arse at games like this), so I've observed a few things.

You can go straight up vikings and do excellent harrass against Zerg by taking out their overlords. You can also land by mineral lines to keep him guessing, but overlord slaying is a really good use for them: it supply-blocks them, which is awesome, and (just as important), it prevents them from grabbing map control and spreading creep everywhere. Once zerg start piling in the resources they are really hard to stop and creep makes all their units faster: prevent them from spreading it and you're looking good. Marauders kill roaches and siege tanks kill hydras. Always shove up a turrent here and there to watch for mutalisks. Ravens with hunter-seeker missile totally kill balled-up zerg units. I've seen Koreans do a Thor/Medvac harrass: if your micro is up to it you can devestate expansions, but to do it successfully it seems to take a lot of the player's attention and that makes macroing much harder unless your APM is amazing. Perhaps a thor/medvac rush would work well but I've never seen one. Zerg usually go for the fast expansion so an early Hellion rush with a few marauders (to take out spine crawlers and queens), can win you the game (hellions roast zerglings and hydras but you should get the flame upgrade asap). Get a reactor on your barracks (build around 11 supply I think) and pop out a couple of marines. Then build the factory and then swap the buldings around by flying them so the factory gets the reactor: then pump hellions- 4 will roast his drones, 6 might be terminal. Problem with them is that they're easily countered by roaches so be prepared to switch to a marauder/tank ground army.

Against protoss the accepted method seems to be Marine/Marauder/Medvac. Psistorm will kill you, but take ghosts with EMP and you can own protoss. You can also out-macro them with mules. Vikings also very good since they can hit the colossus and 'toss struggle with air superiority until they get carriers. Always place a few missile turrets to spot dark templars.

Banshees are a one-hit wonder unit: once they get detected they're just fragile and very expensive units. If you're looking for a cheaper harrass, try early reapers? I've seen people shove a bunker outside a zerg fast-expand, shove a few reapers in it and just own everything: their bombs destroy buildings very quickly, they also rape light units and the bunker makes up for the fact that they're not very tough.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Facade19

#21 Post by Facade19 »

I for one am amped. Like Seredain I have been watching commentaries left and right (Husky Starcraft and HD Starcraft being my favorite).
I do enjoy the micro elements more. It just feels more engaging and more planned out than some other RTS's. I am saving up for a new machine to be able to play it. I probably will not have time when it comes out, but with FEAR 3 announced, it gives me a perfect reason to get a new machine. I do have time here and there to play the campaign. So hurray to SC2!
White_Phoenix

#22 Post by White_Phoenix »

Im still rocking on WC3, might buy this when it eventually comes out, but ATM still having fun.
EricJ

#23 Post by EricJ »

Seredain wrote:Against protoss the accepted method seems to be Marine/Marauder/Medvac.
So I've been playing some more, and I'm starting to get the hang of the biological units -- against most typical (copper-league) opponents, I do a quick reactor on the first barrack and pump out marines to hold the fort while I tech to factory, starport and go either vikings or banshees. Dumping a Medvac full of marines in the middle of a mineral field and back them up with air units typically ruins anyone's day, especially since almost noone build photon cannons or missile turrents. (or scout very well to find out what I'm doing, for that matter)
Seredain wrote:Banshees are a one-hit wonder unit: once they get detected they're just fragile and very expensive units. If you're looking for a cheaper harrass, try early reapers?
I think they're actually more than that -- they're mobile, and as you pointed out, takes a bit more punishment than reapers. I've found detectors to be less-than-awesome against them -- you obviously start by the mineral field and kill workers unless there's a detector around, in which case you just go destroy units somewhere else. Being able to cloak means you don't stay around for an honest fight, you take the fight where they can't defend. And even if there's a detector building right where you want to attack, one or two barrages of just a few Banshees takes it out in no time -- in fact, I might do that just to clear up the airspace for bringing in medivacs and marines.

Admittedly, I suck at utilizing the heavier stuff -- I've never built a Thor, very few siege tanks, and bringing ghosts to counter templars (or protoss in general) just hasn't seemed... necessary. Blowing up protoss's economy and harassing them to death works just fine in the copper league. :)
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#24 Post by Seredain »

Banshees are very very cool units (I think they actually got a hitpoint buff in one of the recent patches). They're fragile against Terran just because Terran has easy detect (turrets) around its bases and scanner sweep in other places (until they get ravens). In these situations stimped mass marines or vikings will counter banshees, so watch out for that.

I've just seen a game where a Terran player sent the odd banshee to attack the mineral line while other big battles were going on - so much action that his opponent never noticed quickly enough and lost 5 workers per attack. That seemed to work pretty well.

I guess your marine/banshee combo works well since the marines can cover the banshees from air attack while they slay things on the ground. Upgraded marines seem surprisingly powerful.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#25 Post by Ruerl Khan »

A bit late, but I got into the beta now too, and fully enjoying it in the copper league. Presently ranked 8th on the 2v2 ladder.

So far i've found that blocking the entrance to your base with pylons and sending a single worker out to establish a gate near the enemy base works wonders, and void rays are just... scary when you can get just 3 of them on an enemy base for a few seconds.
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
WarpPhoenix

#26 Post by WarpPhoenix »

I went to a blizzard event a year ago in paris and I got sent a beta key. Then a friend beta invite. Then another one. Im up to my eyes in beta keys.
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
EricJ

#27 Post by EricJ »

I'm still nagging away in the 1v1 Bronze League, this time as Zerg. In 2v2 I recently got bumped up to Silver, but damn what thrashing I receive there -- seems like every game I expand, build a massive income, generate a huge army... Then get visited by an even bigger army ten times the size of mine.

I'm thinking that keeping up the pressure with tier one units might be a good way to keep such silliness down. :|
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#28 Post by Ruerl Khan »

EricJ wrote:I'm still nagging away in the 1v1 Bronze League, this time as Zerg. In 2v2 I recently got bumped up to Silver, but damn what thrashing I receive there -- seems like every game I expand, build a massive income, generate a huge army... Then get visited by an even bigger army ten times the size of mine.

I'm thinking that keeping up the pressure with tier one units might be a good way to keep such silliness down. :|
Don't remind me of the 1v1 matches, i'm not just horrible in that, i'm horribad, i'm too fond of building and building and building and that gets me destroyed. Last match I met someone who was building a large fleet and I thought "hey... that means void rays! None bothers with carriers in a frontal assaulth!" but nope... was carriers wich meant that my measures fell sadly short.

On 2v2 I tend to focus on building the defense of our own base, I make a Pylon barrier at the spot wich seperates the area wich me and my ally share from the enemy, and build sentinels behind it, just more and more and more sentinels.
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
EricJ

#29 Post by EricJ »

As a Terran, I find it of utmost importance to keep scouting them Protoss, and scout them well. Just this morning I saw a Protoss player building 4-5 Warpgates, so I increased my Barracks count and pumped out Marauders while my Starport was building Medivacs.

Then he visited with a bunch of Void Rays out of a hidden Stargate, and my economy collapsed. Had I seen it earlier, I could've built Vikings. :(
NoOoDLe

#30 Post by NoOoDLe »

Finally picked the game up yesterday.. Qualified for Platinum League by winning 5 out of 5 trial matches. =P

Anyone of you still playing?

Edit: Rolling Zerg obviously..
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]