Teclis.. Can i pick from Undeath Errata?

Ask any rules specific questions here
thommo21

Teclis.. Can i pick from Undeath Errata?

#1 Post by thommo21 »

Teclis can pick from the 8 lores of Magic, should he be able to pick from the lore of Undeath hence giving him 9 picks/ Spells
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

Re: Teclis.. Can i pick from Undeath Errata?

#2 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

In short, yes.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Ladril Caledor

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I'm not so sure. I've looked around online and seen it argued both ways. Does anyone have a bulletproof argument or tournament ruling that confirms this?

If he can take this ninth spell, what spell would be best to pick?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's undecided. Completely unclear what the effect is of the Lore of Undeath on wizards who have their spell selection determined beforehand, like Teclis or the loremaster (or even the dragon mage).

BRB rules and Armybook rules are in direct conflict in this instance. Armybook says to use the 8 lores from the BRB, BRB says there are 9.

which gives 3 options, all of which are equally valid:
- use 9 instead of 8. After all, one was added after, and it should be clear that they meant use all BRB lores. They just didn't forsee this situation when the armybook was written.
- use the original 8. After all, armybook trumps BRB. And the armybook points to the original 8 lores.
- use any 8. After all, armybook trumps BRB. Army book tells you that you get 8 BRB lores. There are 9, so you can chose 8 of them.

Depending on the setting I would:
- ask the tournament organiser: he has final say in what rules will be used anyway. Even if it's completely clear to you, he might disagree. Or he is just ignoring the ET alltogether...
- Discuss with my opponent before the game starts, assuming that option 2 above (so only the original 8) is the likely outcome. Though it depends a bit on the level of competitiveness
- Just use option 2 above. So only the original 8.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Cold Phoenix

#5 Post by Cold Phoenix »

@thommo21,

I think that allowing Teclis to pick a spell from undeath makes sense given the undeath Errata in the main GW FAQ, but given that outside of ETC rules (which include a FAQ for this question), there isn't a FAQ on this specific issue. Because of this, it's up to you to convince your opponent or get a rulling from the TO (for non-ETC tournement play).

@Ladril Caledor

The ETC FAQ ( Section 18 High Elves):

Q: Do you need to write Alarielle’s or Teclis’ lores or spells in the armylist? Can Teclis’ spells be duplicated by other wizard? Can he choose a spell from Undeath in addition to the 8 common magic lore spells? Can Teclis be reduced to level 0 while he has the War Crown? Does he lose spells if the Crown is destroyed?

A: No. No, unless he’s Loremaster. Yes. Yes. Yes.

For spells, I'd actually go with Ryze. Summoning Infantry is useful (as anyone which has had Vampires block a unit with summoned Zombies for a few turns knows), but the intermediate version allows you to get a 30 Zombie Tarpit with Standard + Mus and the Big version lets you get 3 Vargheists, 3 Cairn Wraiths (which have an rare section profile in the Vampire counts list which trades Infantry (Character) for infantry at a 10 point per model cost reduction) or 4 Crypt Horrors (with a token).
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

I support what the others have said. In my experience though Teclis usually gets short shrift as he is so good already. I wouldn't expect to get the extra spell.