Question about deamons

Ask any rules specific questions here
Andros123

Question about deamons

#1 Post by Andros123 »

Hello guys.

This is not really a question about our rules, but I still hope you can help me.

I played against a deamon army the other day, and the guy had such a powerful magic phase, to the point where I had to look it up after the game.
He basically brought 2 heralds of Tzeentch and gave them both Exalted Locus of Conjuration. This gives them +1 strength to all magic they or their unit casts. Now he claimed that because both mages are in the same unit, this ability stacks and so the casters cast magic missiles with +2 strength now.. Does it really stack?
Sackree

Re: Question about deamons

#2 Post by Sackree »

i don't have the book on me but judging by your definition, I would say if one of the heralds cast a spell it would benefit from +1 as the ability only applies to spells that " they or their unit cast," the other herald is not them or their unit, he is an independent character so he does not grant an additional +1.

whereas if the unit of horrors casts a spell, pink fire for example, they would benefit from +2 strength, as long as both heralds are in the unit, as the strength bonus is given to "them or their unit," and as both heralds are part of the unit that is casting the spell the rule applies.

As I said though, I'm not on my laptop so don't have a pdf of the book open so I may be wrong and take my explanation with a grain of salt incase I am, but going i how you explained it this is how I would rule it.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Iluvatar

#3 Post by Iluvatar »

It shouldn't stack.
The definition of Loci in the Daemons book (p26) states that "if a unit is affected by more than one Loci, only the most powerful takes effect, the rules of the others are ignored". [translated from French]
Obviously, this is easy to apply for the 3 different types of Loci (minor, major and exalted), and a little less if the same Loci is applied twice on the same unit. However, you *could* argue to your opponent that none of those is more powerful than the other, and thus neither can apply...
Andros123

#4 Post by Andros123 »

Thanks guys for your answers. Much appreciated.

I guess his defense would rely on saying that since non of them are more powerful then the other, both of them must apply. But as you say Iluvatar that argument can also be used to argue that neither of them apply.

I really hate when people go an bend the rules like that. From the wording it seems fairly obvious, that it was meant that a unit can only be affected by a single one Loci..
Iluvatar

#5 Post by Iluvatar »

You're welcome! :)

As for your opponent, it really depends on his general state of mind. It can be an honest mistake, because such loopholes do happen quite often in Warhammer and it's easy to interpret such rules as you would like. One of the items I have difficulties playing for this very reason is our Gem of Sunfire (+1 to wound to the model's flaming attacks for a turn): since it's not specified when you declare it, you can technically do it when you want, and some people here declare it after rolling for the number of hits on a spell. Legal for some, borderline for others - depends on point of view. (as for me, I declared it after my opponent declined dispelling my fireball last time I used it. I felt dirty enough as it was. :wink: )
Andros123

#6 Post by Andros123 »

Yeah you are right. I just feel that some people deliberately wants to interpret vague formulations in the rules to their benefit, regardless of what common sense might suggest.

As for your example with the gem of Sunfire, it can be very confusing. I usually play in tournaments that uses the ETC restrictions and in these restrictions they have actually made an FAQ about the item saying that you can roll your hits BEFORE activating the item. Pretty awesome when you roll that 5 or 6 hit on a searing doom on a +3 dragon. Now you are wounding on 2's.
As for feeling dirty I always hate my self a bit when I activate the forbidden rod in a unit that carries the banner of the world dragon. Seems so stupid that you get d6 PD for free basically.