Black Amulet and Banner of the World Dragon

Ask any rules specific questions here
Ladril Caledor

Black Amulet and Banner of the World Dragon

#1 Post by Ladril Caledor »

So in a combined Elf army, if a Dreadlord with the Black Amulet is in a unit with the Banner of the World Dragon, and he is fighting a challenge against a character with a magic weapon, does the Black Amulet inflict one wound (with no armour save) on the Dreadlord's opponent for each 2++ ward save he makes? Here is the full rule text from the Dark Elf book, I can't see any other way it could be interpreted:
The wearer of the Black Amulet has a 4+ ward save. Furthermore, each time the bearer of the Black Amulet makes a successful ward save while fighting in a challenge, the Black Amulet inflicts one wound on the bearer's opponent. Armour saves cannot be taken against wounds caused by the Black Amulet.
That would make him (lets say Dreadlord on dark steed, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, sword of anti-heroes, dragonhelm, black amulet: 274 points) indisputably the best challenge character in the game. Any generic character I can think of, any Greater Daemon, Tyrion, Malekith or Nagash all lose to him in a challenge. Only Imrik has a chance and they would probably both die in round 2.
John Rainbow

Re: Black Amulet and Banner of the World Dragon

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I don't see why not. If your quoted text is correct it isn't specific as to the source of the ward save.

Having said this, I can't see it being all that useful as there are too many variables required to get it to work. Just buy a Giant Blade and cut them down instead.
Ladril Caledor

Re: Black Amulet and Banner of the World Dragon

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I've found powerful characters with magic weapons to be such a large part of the meta since the lords allowance increased to 50% that I think you'd have no problem getting the highly-mobile cavalry bus into contact with an enemy combat lord or hero. Then you just issue the challenge, they either accept and die or skulk off to the back row which gives you a huge advantage in combat.

The Black Amulet can also be combined with either the Ogre Blade or Sword of Anti-Heroes, neither quite as good as the Giant Blade, sure, but close, and you get a 4++ ward and an auto-win for challenges. It's only 15 points more than the Talisman of Preservation, surely that's a bargain?

I don't think the Black Amulet is that good in a pure Dark Elf list, and it was never very popular, but it gets a HUGE boost when combined with the Banner of the World Dragon. I think it really is the best option for a cavalry combat lord in a mixed Elf army. Brown trousers time for any opponent.