Loremaster magic

Ask any rules specific questions here
SquidVicious405

Loremaster magic

#1 Post by SquidVicious405 »

If I use the loremaster sig spells, do I get the attribute bonus?
John Rainbow

Re: Loremaster magic

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Yes. You always get the lore attribute, no matter the caster. Even bound items benefit.

Not sure on a rules reference for you at the moment but seach for lore attribute in the BRB and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.
SquidVicious405

#3 Post by SquidVicious405 »

Do you think sig spells or high magic is better for buffs and debuffs?
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

I'd go with signatures - you're spoiled for choice between Wildform, Iceshard, Miasma and Earthblood. Besides, in the End Times he gets 56 spells to chose from!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
theviking

#5 Post by theviking »

RE.Lee wrote:Besides, in the End Times he gets 56 spells to chose from!
I was under the impression that since the loremaster's rules replace the normal spell selection process, he would still have the signature spells rather than knowing every spell of the eight lores.
Cold Phoenix

#6 Post by Cold Phoenix »

SquidVicious405 wrote:Do you think sig spells or high magic is better for buffs and debuffs?
High magic only has 3 direct ways to buff or debuff; the lore attribute, Hand of Glory and Drain Magic. The Lore attribute is great, but hard to use. Drain Magic is situational, because it's used to get rid of an enemy buff or debuff. Hand of glory is less effective than Miasma (because -3 to WS will make most infantry and cav hit our Elites on 5s). The Signature spells include Wildform (very good), Iceshard Blizard (good), Miasma (useful most of the time) and Earthblood (great if you don't have a ward or regen save).

This doesn't tell the whole story though, because High Magic has some interesting ways to effect combat indirectly. Walk Between Worlds can allow you to get a unit out of danger, set up a flank charge, close with the enemy (giving them less turns to shoot or magic you or giving you more time for combat) or bring up another unit in support if the combat lasts multiple rounds. Arcane Unforging can break a crucial item on a nasty character (such as a Ward save, Dawnstone, +S Sword, Stubborn hat), which could allow you to win combat because the character is does less damage or dies more quickly. Firery Convocation can quickly kill off multiple ranks of cheap Steadfast infantry.

It really depends on what you want. The Loremaster provides better tactical combat support. He's much better at affecting the outcome of a combat happening this turn. High Magic can help in combats this turn, but is more effective when used to tilt the odds of a combat in your favor a couple of turns before.
Iluvatar

#7 Post by Iluvatar »

theviking wrote:I was under the impression that since the loremaster's rules replace the normal spell selection process, he would still have the signature spells rather than knowing every spell of the eight lores.
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 90#p892871

The Loremaster of Hoeth is the explicit example they use in the rules for spells generation. He does know every spell from every lore he originally knows a spell from, which makes 56 spells as RE.Lee wrote.
jayzerus

#8 Post by jayzerus »

If you use Swordmasters, getting miasma off gives you a 2/3 chance that any WS4 infantry will be hitting you on 5s, and iceshard blizzard means hitting on 6s. That's my favorite combo with the Loremaster. That's better than most buffs in my opinion.
sparkytrypod

#9 Post by sparkytrypod »

Iluvatar wrote:
theviking wrote:I was under the impression that since the loremaster's rules replace the normal spell selection process, he would still have the signature spells rather than knowing every spell of the eight lores.
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 90#p892871

The Loremaster of Hoeth is the explicit example they use in the rules for spells generation. He does know every spell from every lore he originally knows a spell from, which makes 56 spells as RE.Lee wrote.

does he also get to reroll his casting attempts too with the upgraded loremaster rule?
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Iluvatar

#10 Post by Iluvatar »

Read the text. :wink:

I short: no.
Wizards that were not loremasters before the End Times are now the equivalent of previous loremasters (ie they know all the spells for their domain).
Wizards that do have the Loremaster special rule can re-roll all casting attempts - including Malekith, for instance, who is Loremaster (Shadow). They added this modification so the Loremaster rule keeps doing something.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#11 Post by Curu Olannon »

Let´s keep the thread on BRB magic please. End times are campaign books and, until requested otherwise by the OP, not relevant to this topic.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::