Bladelord using Sword of Battle

Ask any rules specific questions here
Careck

Bladelord using Sword of Battle

#1 Post by Careck »

I gave my BladeLord a sword of Battle hoping to get one extra attack out of him. When I was playing a game though my opponent argued that since I am using the Sword of Battle and not my GW then I would be striking at strength 3 and not strength 5.
Is that true? If that's the case then what is the point of taking any sword for the bladelord?
Thanks for your help!
John Rainbow

Re: Bladelord using Sword of Battle

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Your opponent is correct. You exchange your weapon as per the BRB and don't get the benefit of your mundane one. In this case the +1 attack sword is not a great choice for a SM champ. I wouldn't recommend putting any magic weapon on this guy really.
shizuo

#3 Post by shizuo »

Yeah putting a magic in your weapon is like a suicide attempt. It will weaken you str and will be a waste.
cerebros

#4 Post by cerebros »

Careck wrote:I gave my BladeLord a sword of Battle hoping to get one extra attack out of him. When I was playing a game though my opponent argued that since I am using the Sword of Battle and not my GW then I would be striking at strength 3 and not strength 5.
Is that true? If that's the case then what is the point of taking any sword for the bladelord?
Thanks for your help!
As others have said, the Bladelord has to use the magic weapon if you give it to him so there's no real benefit to.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that for elf characters extra attack weapons are a bit pointless (especially in an all-comers list) unless they also give a strength bonus or you're also going to invest in the appropriate support to boost their strength in some way
My all new painting blog

Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website.
Nightwing

#5 Post by Nightwing »

I've used the sword of anti heroes to great effect on the Bladelord. He often comes into contact with 3 characters at once, giving him 6 ASF str6 attacks.
Andrew_uk

#6 Post by Andrew_uk »

Nightwing wrote:I've used the sword of anti heroes to great effect on the Bladelord. He often comes into contact with 3 characters at once, giving him 6 ASF str6 attacks.
But on the occasions that he doesn't - he's only at 3 S3 and you just made him worse, even 4 S4 is probably worse than his basic level 3 S5

How often does he really come into contact with his MAXIMUM of 3 characters? Because frankly if your opponent is exposing his character laden unit to our most killy unit then he's a bit of an idiot and if you've played him before and used this weapon on your swordmaster champ and he's fallen for it again then he's a massive idiot!!

It's a shame you can no longer give the SM champ other magic items... ToL, TotS, PoS were all fun options
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#7 Post by Curu Olannon »

Keep in mind that Sword of Anti Heroes only requires the unit to be in base contact with enemy characters.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Nightwing

#8 Post by Nightwing »

Andrew_uk wrote:
Nightwing wrote:I've used the sword of anti heroes to great effect on the Bladelord. He often comes into contact with 3 characters at once, giving him 6 ASF str6 attacks.
But on the occasions that he doesn't - he's only at 3 S3 and you just made him worse, even 4 S4 is probably worse than his basic level 3 S5

How often does he really come into contact with his MAXIMUM of 3 characters? Because frankly if your opponent is exposing his character laden unit to our most killy unit then he's a bit of an idiot and if you've played him before and used this weapon on your swordmaster champ and he's fallen for it again then he's a massive idiot!!

It's a shame you can no longer give the SM champ other magic items... ToL, TotS, PoS were all fun options
I see it as a minor investment that pays off well in terms of risk vs reward. It's not something I build a list around, but it makes him a good assasin of bsbs and mages.
aquietfrog

#9 Post by aquietfrog »

Sword of Anti-Heroes on a bladelord isn't legal. The sword costs 30 points, and the bladelord can only has a 25 point magic weapon allowance.