Reign of Chaos

Ask any rules specific questions here
henrypmiller

Reign of Chaos

#1 Post by henrypmiller »

I have a confession.

I have never played against demons.

However I have a fluffy mono-Khorne warriors army and with the new chaos legions I am thinking about putting in some Flesh hounds and a blood throne.

The reign of chaos table is interesting. I was having a debate today about it.

I think the rules as written for some of the results on the table are something like

"...all enemy units and all friendly units with the demon of X suffer hits..."

I read it like only units with the exact mark on both sides suffer wounds, but my friend read it as ALL enemy units and those friendlies with the certain mark suffer wounds.

That just seems crazy OP to me.

Can someone with more experience clear this up for me?

Henry
wisetiger7

Re: Reign of Chaos

#2 Post by wisetiger7 »

I believe your friend is correct: All enemy units. Period. Also, all friendly units with the particular mark. Period.

The first reason I believe this to be true is because on the same page, "Chaotic Surge" (Reign of Chaos result of 10) says "All models with the Daemonic Instability special rule (friend and foe)..." This specifically states the all models with the rule, regardless of yours or your opponents.

If gw meant it to be all units with the mark, they would have said just that: "All models with the Mark of [blah] (friend and foe)..." But it doesn't say that. It says your units with Mark of [blah] as well as ALL enemy units.

Second reason: ET:Glottkin has a new Reign of Chaos table, and it simply says all enemy units. Period. Doesn't even mention friendly units at all, regardless of mark. This most likely shows the original intention that all enemy units are affected regardless of which Reign of Chaos table you are using, old or new. The old table in the Daemons book simply adds friendly units with the Mark.
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)
henrypmiller

#3 Post by henrypmiller »

Wow. Tough! That's what all the complaining is about then!

Second question....

Anyone know if I include 1 unit of demons in my army do I roll on the table?

I guess I need to buy the book to find out...
wisetiger7

#4 Post by wisetiger7 »

If you have a Daemons of Chaos army, then you apply Reign of Chaos rules (found in the DoC army book) from your Winds of Magic roll.

If you are using End Times rules, and you have a Chaos army (Legions of Chaos, Warriors of Chaos, Beastmen, or Daemons of Chaos), then you apply the Reign of Chaos rules (found in the ET:Glottkin supplement).

These are the only times you should be using the Reign of Chaos rules in your games. If, for some reason, you are homebrewing a game where your main force is not of Chaos, but have included a Daemon unit, then it is up to you and your opponent whether to use those rules or not. But strictly speaking, ruleswise, the above are the only situations where you would use the RoC rules.

Hope this helps!
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)