Arcane unforging and tome of furion

Ask any rules specific questions here
martin7

Arcane unforging and tome of furion

#1 Post by martin7 »

Greetings fellow warriors,i would like to ask you this: l was watching a game between lizzies and dark elves,when a situation came up:
the slann cast arcane unforging on the sorcerres,and she revealed the 2 magic items she had,tome of furion and a talisman.the slann randomly selected wich item to be destroyed,and it was Tome.so far so good.
but then the lizzie player daid that she forgets also the spell ,the tome helped her to select.the dark player disagreed,saying that the spell couldnt be destroyed,only the magical item.eventually we house ruled it,but i want to hear what more experienced players have to say

thanks for reading and answering
"Those who live by the sword,die by the White Lions"
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Arcane unforging and tome of furion

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

Tome of Furion is such a cool item. I miss choosing spells.

I'd say a spell is not lost as the item does not generate it, it simply has a one-off effect of letting you choose it.
elaneron

#3 Post by elaneron »

I believe this is correct Spellarcher, however, is this item valid for Arcane Unforging? Is Tome of Furion considered as "One use only"?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Good question.

I'd say RAW it is destroyed but no effect.

RAI it can't be considered and the Talisman would automatically be Unforged.
mcmulligan

#5 Post by mcmulligan »

If you agree that the item no longer has any effect in the game, then it can't be targeted by Arcane Unforging (as covered in the catch all they put in the spell description around mounts, one use items, etc). So if the spell that it helped select isn't lost, it is a one use item that has already been used.

Like a fireball ring that has already miscast not being able to be targeted, despite the character still having it.
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Arcane Unforging's conditions are pretty straight forward
can't be used
a) mounts magical item (hinting for 9th that mounts could be bought as a magical allowance?)
b) bound items that have already been miscast (i.e no longer can be used)
c) One use items (e.g dispel scroll) that has already been used

Tome of Furion does fit in any of these categories so therefore can be "unforged"

When the bearer of the Tome of Furion generates spells from the Lore of Dark Magic, she can choose one spell.
The mage generates not that the item therefore when you "unforge" the item it doesn't have any effect on her (i.e doesn't lose a spell).
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Nicene

#7 Post by Nicene »

Obliquely related:

Arcane Unforging no longer requires the opponent to reveal which magical items the target possesses (of course, in this case, you already know that the target possesses Tome of Furion, since it was revealed during spell selection).

So how do you randomize which item is destroyed? We've been rolling a d6, then the opponent uses that result and tells you what was destroyed. This of course relies on your opponent's honor. I suppose they could also write the names of the items on little pieces of folded paper, and you could draw one from a hat?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
nick larking

#8 Post by nick larking »

Nicene wrote:Obliquely related:

Arcane Unforging no longer requires the opponent to reveal which magical items the target possesses (of course, in this case, you already know that the target possesses Tome of Furion, since it was revealed during spell selection).

So how do you randomize which item is destroyed? We've been rolling a d6, then the opponent uses that result and tells you what was destroyed. This of course relies on your opponent's honor. I suppose they could also write the names of the items on little pieces of folded paper, and you could draw one from a hat?
Did it get faq'ed recently?If not you are wrong, cause it says:
blablabla... The owning player must then reveal to the caster all magic items possessed by the target (if any) blablabla...
"Today we mourn Sir Technical, horrifically dismembered in battle. He was unable to survive the fight, but his form was impeccable!"