Magic resistance - stackable or no?

Ask any rules specific questions here
afterglow82

Magic resistance - stackable or no?

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

In the rulebook it clearly states that "If a model has two sets of magic resistance, the two do not combine, it uses the highest" - this is clear enough.

BUT, "If a character with magic resistance joins a unit, all models in the unit benefit from the magic resistance"

The way I read that, any character with two magic items (or special rules or whatever) that grant magic resistance, will not be able to stack effects. But, a unit that is 'benefitting from the effects of' two different magic-resistance items on two different characters, would be able to stack the effect?

Lets say a unit has a mage with the obsidian amulet (MR2) and a noble with the spellshield (MR1). No character has "two sets of magic resistance" - if they did, they wouldn't stack. But wouldn't the unit get a 4+ ward from the two effects?

To carry this line of thought on, I don't know whether it could be argued that the noble (with an un-stackable item) would still be able to stack the EFFECT of the mage's item?

tld;dr: Is the rule written to prevent characters getting two different magic resistance items? or is it intended to stop the effect stacking on units?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Magic resistance - stackable or no?

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

No

Model != character. A model can also simply be a R&F model of a unit.

So, a character with MR in a unit a source of MR for the models in the unit. 2 characters, each with a MR source are then 2 sources of MR for the models in the unit. And so you pick the highest of the 2.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
afterglow82

Re: Magic resistance - stackable or no?

#3 Post by afterglow82 »

ok thanks :)