noob question on abbreviations :S

Ask any rules specific questions here
afterglow82

noob question on abbreviations :S

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

Sorry for the stupid question, but can someone glossary a couple of terms for me?

Bus - from what I read, this seems to be a kind of heavy hitting, probably fast moving unit with good protection, aiming to get into combat quickly?
RAW and ETC - variations on the rules in some way?

Coven of light build - is this purely based around the idea of casting banishment? I've heard it talked about so much, but it seems like a major build based on the chances of getting one spell, and then being able to cast it?

had a couple more, but I've gone blank - i'll add them on if I remember :P

cheers guys
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: noob question on abbreviations :S

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

A bus is usually a large cavalry unit containing multiple characters.

RAW is Rules As Written. So interpreting them to the letter. Contrast with RAI, Rules As Intended, where you interpret by what you think the writer was aiming to achieve.

ETC is European Team Championship, held annually and effectively the World Cup of Warhammer as teams also come from other continents. Each year it produces a set of adjustments to army selection and certain rules, loosely known as 'comp'. ETC comp is widely used for singles events also.

Banishment is a big part of the Coven. It's so powerful that it usually draws dice and scrolls, letting you get the Light buffs through.
afterglow82

#3 Post by afterglow82 »

SpellArcher wrote:A bus is usually a large cavalry unit containing multiple characters.

RAW is Rules As Written. So interpreting them to the letter. Contrast with RAI, Rules As Intended, where you interpret by what you think the writer was aiming to achieve.

ETC is European Team Championship, held annually and effectively the World Cup of Warhammer as teams also come from other continents. Each year it produces a set of adjustments to army selection and certain rules, loosely known as 'comp'. ETC comp is widely used for singles events also.

Banishment is a big part of the Coven. It's so powerful that it usually draws dice and scrolls, letting you get the Light buffs through.
thanks mate :)

re: ETC, is this where the phrase 'uncomped' comes from? as in, NOT following these ETC rules?

and on the light coven, (is this the same thing as what I've seen referred to as a 'council of light?) what happens if you don't roll banishment on your lvl4? if you roll it for your lvl1, you're needing 4 or 5 dice to get off a cast, leaving you at a big risk of miscasts, and the rest of the lore of light (I would say) is relatively weak, meaning you have a weak magic phase for the whole game

sorry I know this is off my original point :L
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

afterglow82 wrote:re: ETC, is this where the phrase 'uncomped' comes from? as in, NOT following these ETC rules?
Uncomped just means using the standard rulebook rules without any changes. There are many examples other than the ETC of events that use comp (short for 'army composition resrictions') such as Swedish or other more local events that use their own restrictions and comp so it doesn't really refer to the ETC specifically.
afterglow82 wrote:and on the light coven, (is this the same thing as what I've seen referred to as a 'council of light?) what happens if you don't roll banishment on your lvl4? if you roll it for your lvl1, you're needing 4 or 5 dice to get off a cast, leaving you at a big risk of miscasts, and the rest of the lore of light (I would say) is relatively weak, meaning you have a weak magic phase for the whole game
Coven of Light = Light Council. They are the same things. It doesn't exactly work like you suppose here, remember that a mage can always swap a spell for the signature so if you roll spells on your level 1s/2s first, there is a very high chance that your level 4 will get Banishment. The strength of the light council has waned somewhat of late as there are no longer any ways as a High Elf to get Banishment twice without using Teclis (lost magic items in new book). The Empire can still get Banishment more than once as the War Alter has it as an innate bound spell and a Light wizard can get it too. Empire can still run an effective coven in this way. Also be sure not to mistake the coven for being one-dimensional in needing banishment. Light magic has many useful spells and a mini-coven can be very effective with only a single banishment if clever use is made of the other spells in the lore.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

What John said.

You can also get a one-shot second cast from the Everqueen who gives other benefits too. The main HE Coven build without Special Characters has Light Archmage plus Mage and a Loremaster who also boosts the strength of Banishment as he knows Shem's Burning Gaze. Only one Banishment but with the 13 spells you can put all sorts of pressure on.
afterglow82

#6 Post by afterglow82 »

John Rainbow wrote:
afterglow82 wrote:re: ETC, is this where the phrase 'uncomped' comes from? as in, NOT following these ETC rules?
Uncomped just means using the standard rulebook rules without any changes. There are many examples other than the ETC of events that use comp (short for 'army composition resrictions') such as Swedish or other more local events that use their own restrictions and comp so it doesn't really refer to the ETC specifically.
afterglow82 wrote:and on the light coven, (is this the same thing as what I've seen referred to as a 'council of light?) what happens if you don't roll banishment on your lvl4? if you roll it for your lvl1, you're needing 4 or 5 dice to get off a cast, leaving you at a big risk of miscasts, and the rest of the lore of light (I would say) is relatively weak, meaning you have a weak magic phase for the whole game
Coven of Light = Light Council. They are the same things. It doesn't exactly work like you suppose here, remember that a mage can always swap a spell for the signature so if you roll spells on your level 1s/2s first, there is a very high chance that your level 4 will get Banishment. The strength of the light council has waned somewhat of late as there are no longer any ways as a High Elf to get Banishment twice without using Teclis (lost magic items in new book). The Empire can still get Banishment more than once as the War Alter has it as an innate bound spell and a Light wizard can get it too. Empire can still run an effective coven in this way. Also be sure not to mistake the coven for being one-dimensional in needing banishment. Light magic has many useful spells and a mini-coven can be very effective with only a single banishment if clever use is made of the other spells in the lore.
cheers guys :)

sounds like something i'll try sometimes, although for now im concentrating on Life - I've heard people say it's not great, but with banner of avelorn on one of your best units I can only see it as amazing?
cerebros

#7 Post by cerebros »

afterglow82 wrote:Bus - from what I read, this seems to be a kind of heavy hitting, probably fast moving unit with good protection, aiming to get into combat quickly?
For "Bus" you also need to cross reference "Death Star".

"Death Star" refers to a heavy hitting close combat infantry/monstrous infantry unit packed with combat characters. A "Bus" is the cavalry/monstrous cavalry equivalent of a "Death Star"

For comp, what you'll generally come across are changes organisers make to the way you can build your army in an attempt to achieve theorectical balance between the armies. There are lots of different comp systems, as people have mentioned, that get used at a number of events but some tournament organisers roll their own depending on the metagame in their area.

As regards "uncomped" it means no changes to the rules or scenarios that affect how you build your army (which is why it's bit rich that some areas boast their tournaments are "uncomped" Warhammer, by which they mean they don't impose any hard or soft unit restrictions, but then use non-rulebook scenarios or add in "objectives" or other in-game tasks that do force you to tailor your list to them if you want to have any hope of doing well).

ETC comp tends to be a bit controversial as it's generally considered quite hard comp and also changes core rules (e.g. restricting the number of magic dice you can use to cast spells from the lores of Death and Shadow, a different Line of Sight system). It achieved special notoriety for the first ETC using the 8th edition rulebook as the first few revisions of the comp basically looked like those writing it wanted everyone to go back to playing 7th edition.

Needless to say, most people have their own opinion on how much comp is too much.
My all new painting blog

Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website.
pk-ng

#8 Post by pk-ng »

cerebros wrote:
afterglow82 wrote:Bus - from what I read, this seems to be a kind of heavy hitting, probably fast moving unit with good protection, aiming to get into combat quickly?
For "Bus" you also need to cross reference "Death Star".

"Death Star" refers to a heavy hitting close combat infantry/monstrous infantry unit packed with combat characters. A "Bus" is the cavalry/monstrous cavalry equivalent of a "Death Star"
Not necessarily heavy hitting. I think it should also include a point denial unit - i.e a unit that is very tough to kill.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support