Shield question

Ask any rules specific questions here
SamBarker

Shield question

#1 Post by SamBarker »

Is it common believe that the Shield of Merwrym is for a infantry character only? Want to use it on my mounted Noble but heard that could be a no no?
Thanks.
Optimistic

Re: Shield question

#2 Post by Optimistic »

The shield provides a 4+ parry save, the rules for parry saves dictate that it can not be used while mounted, therefore the shield is nothing more then +1 armor on a mounted model. Feel free to peruse the rules section on the forums here, there are several topics covering a multitude of HE specific questions, including this.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Moved to Rules Questions.

SA
SamBarker

#4 Post by SamBarker »

Thanks for the response.. It's a shame :roll:
Harlock1796

#5 Post by Harlock1796 »

A bit if a thread hijack, but definitely related. I have just read something disturbing in the Army Builder bug reports forums.

According to Army Builder, because a magic weapon is not a 'hand weapon' you do not get a parry save if you have a shield and a magic weapon. By an extension of logic, if a character has a magic weapon, the shield of Merwyrm isn't going to be any use.

I don't have access to my BRB just now, to check whether a magic weapon is a hand weapon.

Any thoughts?
Casazzo

#6 Post by Casazzo »

I dont have my brb with me, too, but i'm pretty sure, that EVERY magic Weapon is basically a hand weapon, regardless of name and name-implicated type. It's written on the Page before the magic-items-listings.
Harlock1796

#7 Post by Harlock1796 »

Thanks for the reply - someone else has just tipped me off that the Shield of the Merwyrm has a specific rule confirming that it works with 1h magic weapons, anyway.

I started getting concerned, as I am heading to my 1st tournament soon, and after quite a lot of playing friendly matches running a Loremaster with Merwyrm plus sword of might, I suddenly thought I had been getting wrong all this time!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Actually, neither statement is correct.

You don't get a parry save with magic weapons because it sais so in the magic weapons rules. BRB p501 (or something like that): "a magic weapon can not be used alongside a shield to gain a parry save". Hence no parry save with magic weapons.

And most weapons are handweapons. They don't have a type and as such simply count as hand weapons. But a magic weapon can count as a specific type of weapon (see for instance the moonbow of alith anar that mentions being a boltthrower). It's rare to see it. But especially in older armybooks it occured.

Shield of merwyrm allows a parry save with a magic weapon because it specifically says so. And Army book rules go before BRB rules.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Casazzo

#9 Post by Casazzo »

After readin my brb on the topic yesterday evening i have to apologize:

There is one special point stating, that Magical Weapons DO NOT give you a parry save and a not pairable with other nonmagical additional hand weapons.

Sorry for misinformation.