Shooting at Bretts

Ask any rules specific questions here
ju1ce

Shooting at Bretts

#1 Post by ju1ce »

Hi all
How would normal shooting, lets say, multi-shot RBT work against the front of a Bretonnian lance of 12 models with 3 heros in the front rank work?
I'm guessing magic missiles work the same as normal shooting too?
i look through the BRB and it seems illogical to me, not that logic always governs rules
thx
Juice
[color=#FF0000][b]Truth[/b][/color], [color=#4000FF]like the[/color] [color=#FF0000][b]ju1ce [/b][/color][color=#4000BF]of the poppy, in small quantities, calms men; in larger, heats and irritates them, and is attended by fatal consequences in excess.
[i]Walter Savage Landor[/i][/color]
aquietfrog

Re: Shooting at Bretts

#2 Post by aquietfrog »

Multi-shot rbt works the same as normal shooting so the heroes would be ignored unless there are less than 5 rnf models I think.
Nicene

#3 Post by Nicene »

Yes, resolve hits against the rank-and-file troops. The hits are "allocated as shooting."
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
ju1ce

#4 Post by ju1ce »

Thx guys.
This seems a glitch to me.

3 big guys on horses bristling full of armour, lances, swords, banners and god knows what else eye balling me an inch away and I shoot the little dudes behind them? Really?
What evvvvva... :D

Thx again
Juice
[color=#FF0000][b]Truth[/b][/color], [color=#4000FF]like the[/color] [color=#FF0000][b]ju1ce [/b][/color][color=#4000BF]of the poppy, in small quantities, calms men; in larger, heats and irritates them, and is attended by fatal consequences in excess.
lost user 18

#5 Post by lost user 18 »

ju1ce wrote:Thx guys.
This seems a glitch to me.

3 big guys on horses bristling full of armour, lances, swords, banners and god knows what else eye balling me an inch away and I shoot the little dudes behind them? Really?
What evvvvva... :D

Thx again
Juice

Hi Juice

I can definitely see where you're coming from. However I think that this rule, like most of them, is designed to reflect the ebb and flow of battle. In a real fight that unit of Bretts wont be staying still whilst we pick and choose targets, it will be charging full pelt or swinging about and maneuvering; whilst the RnF troops will be shielding their Lords and Heroes before engaging. Our physical miniatures and formations on the table are simply representative of this.

I agree though. Its extremely frustrating!

Matt
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#6 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

A single shot would be randomised into one of the front three characters though.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#7 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:A single shot would be randomised into one of the front three characters though.
A single shot of what?

BS shooting Always hits rnf troops before characters, so long as there are 5+ models of rnf in the unit (3+ of course for monstrous units) the characters can't be hit, no matter if they're in the front rank or not.

Actually, ALL shooting attacks except templates follow those rules, including Magic Missiles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though :3.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Asurion Whitestar wrote:
Prince_Asuryan wrote: A single shot would be randomised into one of the front three characters though.
A single shot of what?
Of a boltthrower.

If a Boltthrower (any of them) fires a standard shot at a rank and that rank consists of only characters (or unit champion), then one of the characters is hit. Randomize to determine which is hit. In case of a flank shot, treat files as ranks.

Of course, if there is even a single R&F model in the mentioned rank and the unit consists of more then 5 R&F models, then the R&F model is automatically hit and there is no randomization.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Baleanoon

#9 Post by Baleanoon »

Asurion Whitestar wrote:
Prince_Asuryan wrote:A single shot would be randomised into one of the front three characters though.
A single shot of what?

BS shooting Always hits rnf troops before characters, so long as there are 5+ models of rnf in the unit (3+ of course for monstrous units) the characters can't be hit, no matter if they're in the front rank or not.

Actually, ALL shooting attacks except templates follow those rules, including Magic Missiles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though :3.
Monstrous still need 5+ rnf to provide a look outsir, Ogres get Look out Gnoblars to solve this issue.

rdghuizing is correct there is a provision if the front rank of a unit is made entirely of Champions and Characters you randomize which model is hit. That text has a paragraph after the all the rules for shooting a bolt thrower.

Also bit of flavor for general information brets have a special rule allowing them to replace command with characters. Everyone else must but command in the front rank and make way during combat, so in the HE bus for example musician and standard would be in the front rank keeping the characters immune to bolt thrower shots.
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
pk-ng

#10 Post by pk-ng »

rdghuizing wrote:
Asurion Whitestar wrote:
Prince_Asuryan wrote: A single shot would be randomised into one of the front three characters though.
A single shot of what?
Of a boltthrower.

If a Boltthrower (any of them) fires a standard shot at a rank and that rank consists of only characters (or unit champion), then one of the characters is hit. Randomize to determine which is hit. In case of a flank shot, treat files as ranks.

Of course, if there is even a single R&F model in the mentioned rank and the unit consists of more then 5 R&F models, then the R&F model is automatically hit and there is no randomization.

Rod
Note that the owning player allocates the shot :).
i.e the person been shot at.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
ju1ce

#11 Post by ju1ce »

After studying and looking over the shooting and bolt thrower rules in depth, both at units and characters in units, and hours of contemplative reflection of your awesome posts.

I have a come up with a cunning solution to our dilemma!

We can train our archers to take-it-in-turn shooting, firing their bows 1 at a time, thus simulating the single shot of an RBT!

Pure genius. :lol:

However we work with the rules we do have and thanks for clearing them up.

J