War Machines (cannons, stone throwers) hitting own units?

Ask any rules specific questions here
Nagashias

War Machines (cannons, stone throwers) hitting own units?

#1 Post by Nagashias »

1. As topic, is it allowed to aim war machines as so they hit own units?

2. If 1 is true, what constitutes 'hitting own units'? Is it ANY chance whatsoever? (ie. for cannons, 20" beyond the aim point, and for stone throwers, 10" in all directions) ?

THanks for clarification - I never use war machines myself, so I am in doubt as to the intepretation of these rules.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: War Machines (cannons, stone throwers) hitting own units?

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

1. No

2. I think it depends on the type of war machine. Cannons can't have something in the line of the shot it can bounce into. So the 20" from the bounce point. Stonetrowers I'm not sure. I think it is that nothing is allowed to be under the templates original position.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Sackree

#3 Post by Sackree »

No friendly unit can be under a stone throwers original target area, but if it scatters over a friendly unit they take the hit. That's the risk of firing close to your units.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Dalamar

#4 Post by Dalamar »

If you have control over the area that the machine can hit (cannons only shoot in a straight line for example) then you can't aim it so there's a chance of hitting your own troops.

Stone Throwers only have control over the initial position, then it can scatter anywhere within a circle that's 10" in radius.

In short:
Cannons (including Flame Cannons) - there can't be any friendly models in the 18" line between the initial cannonball landing point (which can be anywhere between 2 and 10" away from the point aimed at) and it's final resting spot (which can be anywhere between 0 and 10" away from the initial landing point). Enemy units can be used as effective protection against enemy cannons as long as what you're trying to protect is fast and maneuverable (like a dragon)

Anything else - the initial template placement can't be over a friendly model.