Enchanted Shield

Ask any rules specific questions here
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Enchanted Shield

#1 Post by Ferny »

A friend of mine has posed this one:

It is a piece of magical armour. It functions like a shield. In addition, it has a special rule granting +1AS. It doesn't state on the item description that this +1AS is tied to the functionality of the shield. As such, he's saying that even if you have a halberd/2HW etc, you still gain the +1AS benefit in combat. RAW I don't think I can argue with him - is this correct or am I missing something/FAQ/errata? I'd never noticed this 'loophole' before. If it is correct it's not a bad thing for some of our characters either!
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
wisetiger7

Re: Enchanted Shield

#2 Post by wisetiger7 »

Ugh... I quit warhammer.

The same question then goes for the Spellshield. If a unit with a character with Spellshield is in b2b with an enemy unit with Shield of Thorns, and takes damage from Thorns, does the unit benefit from Spellshield's MR(1) and gain +1 to their ward save, even though the character has a weapon that Requires Two Hands and thus had his Spellshield slung across his back?
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)
Nicene

#3 Post by Nicene »

Have had this question before, although normally pertaining to the Charmed Shield.

I think it basically boils down to common sense--though there is an errata involving similar effects for magic weapons, so you could take that as a pretty solid precedent. I don't think any TO would take your friend's claim seriously.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#4 Post by Ferny »

Thing is, RAW, I think he is right. If we take RAW to ban Dragon Prince Star Lance then how can we argue against this (short of Errata)?

Or is it something which falls into the 'no-one but no-one plays it this way' category?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nope, the friend is incorrect. Enchanted shield states that it is a shield, which means that you can only use it if you can use a shield. Otherwise its rules don't apply.

also, enchanted shield doesn't say that it is a shield with an extra +1 AS it states that it is a shield with +2 instead of +1 AS. Big difference.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#6 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

rdghuizing wrote:Nope, the friend is incorrect. Enchanted shield states that it is a shield, which means that you can only use it if you can use a shield. Otherwise its rules don't apply.

also, enchanted shield doesn't say that it is a shield with an extra +1 AS it states that it is a shield with +2 instead of +1 AS. Big difference.

Rod
Correctamundo.

Also, the Spellshield does give MR to the unit despite being in combat, being carried by a model wielding a two handed weapon, as it doesn't state that the model needs to have the shield in use to benefit from its MR, and MR doesn't state anything to the contrary either.
The Charmed shield also gives it's 2+ Hit Discount in the same situation.

The same RAW goes for Shadow Armour being combined with Heavy or Dragon armour, and the Starlance not being able to be taken by a Drakemaster.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon