Deployment - Prince with Wayshard + Shadow Armor

Ask any rules specific questions here
NHB

Deployment - Prince with Wayshard + Shadow Armor

#1 Post by NHB »

Hey guys,

just a quick one here. How does one deploy a caracter with both the Wayshard and the Shadow Armor? I don't see any indication in the BRB or Army Book that either cancels the other. It says that Ambushers don't deploy as normal, but rather in later turns. But it also says that Scouts deploy right after all normal deployment. In such cases, would it not be the controlling player deciding?

Equipment Options:
- Reaver Bow, Heavy Armor, Shield, Lion Cloak, xtra Handweapon/Halberd/Great Weapon
- more defensive build with ward or armor reroll

I think it could be an interesting albeit soft combo.

If you are able to choose which special deployment rule to follow, that would be pretty nice.

You could basically at deployment decide to:

A) Deploy as Ambusher without Archers / Spears
- e.g. You think you need the archers/Spears from T1
- There is no real threat around in terms of cannons / Magic or you are certain there won't be, when he comes on T2+.
- Could still deploy defensively

B) Deploy as Ambusher with Archers / Spears
- Steadfast 30 Strong unit in Backfield of Enemy, yes please! :twisted:
- Case Archers: 30 shots into the back of the enemies (that should give a bonus to wound btw)
- Softer enemy units tend to stay back - we beat most soft units out there
- Could still deploy defensively on own board edge or flank if needed

C) Deploy as Scout on its own somewhere hidden
- Easy to get into cover or hide.
- Will probably draw a lot of attention - as he is "only" 258 Points, he can draw enemy fire and survive while the rest of your army gets into favourable positions

D) Deploy as Scout with an attachment of Shadow Warriors
- Even worse target for BS Shooting with Skirmish
- March & shoot Reaver Bow @S5 anyone?

If the rules allow it, it could be quite nice. I mean for 75 points you get a whole lot of tactical options.

I am assuming Strider does not carry over to any attached unit, right?

So what do you guys think?

Regards,
NHB
pk-ng

Re: Deployment - Prince with Wayshard + Shadow Armor

#2 Post by pk-ng »

Before deployment you have to tell your opponent if you're using the ambushing rules or the scouting rules.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Tullarion

#3 Post by Tullarion »

You may want to check it out again... while Scouts provides an optional deployment for models with that rule, Ambushers is a MANDATORY alternative deployment for models with that rule.
Baleanoon

#4 Post by Baleanoon »

Scouting isn't optional either, you still have to deploy after all deployment is done, you just have the option of deploying in your own deployment zone.

In this case you are best not creating the logic error, I also can't see the motivation for this combination...
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
Tullarion

#5 Post by Tullarion »

What he said ^
Nicene

#6 Post by Nicene »

Baleanoon wrote:Scouting isn't optional either, you still have to deploy after all deployment is done, you just have the option of deploying in your own deployment zone.
Wait, is that true? I don't have my BRB but i thought scouting units could opt to deploy normally...
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Nicene wrote:
Baleanoon wrote:Scouting isn't optional either, you still have to deploy after all deployment is done, you just have the option of deploying in your own deployment zone.
Wait, is that true? I don't have my BRB but i thought scouting units could opt to deploy normally...
It's correct.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

pk-ng wrote:
Nicene wrote:
It's correct.
Actually, I think that was only the case last edition. The rules for scouts don't mention anything like that at the moment. It only sais that you can deploy them either in your own deployment zone or anywhere else on the field not within 12'' of opposing forces.

Some scenarios have special rules for scouts that make them deploy differently.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Baleanoon

#9 Post by Baleanoon »

rdghuizing wrote: Actually, I think that was only the case last edition. The rules for scouts don't mention anything like that at the moment. It only sais that you can deploy them either in your own deployment zone or anywhere else on the field not within 12'' of opposing forces.

Some scenarios have special rules for scouts that make them deploy differently.

Rod
Scouts are a deployment special rule. The first paragraph says all you need to know. "Scouts are set up after all other non-Scout units from both armies have been deployed." Its non-optional.
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
Stormie

#10 Post by Stormie »

Yes, perhaps you are thinking of the ability of Scouts to deploy in their own deployment zone and still be able to charge in the first turn of the game.