BSB and Army General

Ask any rules specific questions here
Danidude

BSB and Army General

#1 Post by Danidude »

So my gaming group have started disgussing a interesting topic and was wondering what people on this forum might think of it.

So say you have a lvl2 high elf wizard as a general and a high elf noble BSB. Is this an iliegal setup?

In the rulebook it says the general needs to be the one with the highest LD and thats the noble, however he is the BSB an can not be the general.
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: BSB and Army General

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

No. Only models eligible to be general are taken into account when choosing your general.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Danidude

#3 Post by Danidude »

Oh? On what page do it say that?
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#4 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Danidude wrote:Oh? On what page do it say that?
Well, it doesn't.

It's common sense.
If the BSB can't be the general, he can't be..
He wouldn't be counted for highest Ld as he can't be the general.
Why would you count him in for general if he can't be?

Rod is completely correct.
:3

Edit: if you want a page reference, 107, under BSB; "the model that carries the battle standard cannot be the General.".
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

We've had a pretty lengthy discussion on this before in Do the rules really support a general with lower LD than BSB.

The conclusion is that the rules don't rule it either way, since they are simply contradictory rules. So we play the way most people play, which is that the BSB and his LD is not counted when considering characters for general. If you want a length answer:
rdghuizing wrote:
Hortennse wrote: 1. the general is the highest leadership character.
2. the BSB is a character.
3. the BSB though not being a candidate for the general remains a character in spite of this.
4. the book is clear that the general is chosen in the list-building phase (a time when we know a player has to sometimes make difficult decisions under constraints, such as rare unit allocation, etc.)
5. the BSB is an optional character and the General is mandatory
This I think we can all agree on. It's simply what is written in the BRB. I would also add into this list, a BSB is not allowed to be the general (which is almost always the case).
Hortennse wrote: -If you have a list that would have a BSB with a higher leadership than your eligible general, that is not an overridden rule but a list that according to applied rules is illegal.
This however, is not written in the BRB. It is a leap to a conclusion that is not written down anywhere.

Basically, The problem is the following:
- General is the guy with the highest LD
- BSB can not be general.

Nowhere is written down what happens when the BSB has the highest LD. 2 solutions are being suggested:
1. Your BSB can't have a higher LD, so you can't take him if he does.
2. Your BSB isn't eligible to be general, so he is left out of the list of characters when choosing a general.

Neither of these is actually written down in the BRB. So it is left up to the player which option he choses. Because there is nothing written down anywhere about this issue, there is no way to resolve this, except by applying logic not found anywhere. Which means this discussion will keep going in circles...

Seeing as how there is no proof for either of these, I would like to add in a question: Seeing how it is a pretty important decision and how HE are not the only race that have the option to have a BSB with higher LD then the general (I think most races can have one). If we have been playing it wrong all these years, wouldn't GW have stepped in and released an FAQ at some point? That is the best argument I can think of in this discussion for sollution #2.

#1 simply has no precedent, so when you have to chose between 2 interpretations that are unsupported by the rules, you pick the one that does have a precedent in that everybody plays it that way.

Rod
Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Danidude

#6 Post by Danidude »

Thanks for the awsners :)
Loriel

#7 Post by Loriel »

this could be nice question for Eiriks ruling faq
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame