shooting enemies in same forest as you

Ask any rules specific questions here
masterhwan

shooting enemies in same forest as you

#1 Post by masterhwan »

Hi everyone,

I am a new member to this forum but have a long time reader. I had a situation come up in one of my games. It may seem silly or obvious but I just had to triple check.

I had a unit of archers in a forest and my opponent moved his unit into the forest but still remaining 1" away from my unit. So on my turn, I shot at his unit that was in the same forest as my unit doing the shooting. The question is whether I suffer the -1 to hit for his units being in soft cover or if I don't suffer that penalty because enemy units do not benefit from soft cover if the firing unit is in the forest they are shooting through as per the BRB. we concluded that I do take the -1 to hit as they are after all still in the forest and therefore able to cover themselves from even such short range fire.

Were we correct in this? apologies if this is a noobish question, I rarely get to play so rules take a while to sink in...
Mist

Re: shooting enemies in same forest as you

#2 Post by Mist »

I would say yes, you get the cover mod, you can still hide behind a tree if being shot at be a guy (or elf) in the same forest as you.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

it's a tricky one, since I don't think the rules actually take this situation into account. The best explanation I can give is that the rules say that if you are in a forest or shooting through a forest, then cover is given. This does not apply when you are shooting out of the forest. But since you are not shooting out of the forest but rather inside the forest the cover save applies. That's the best I can come up with.

Of course, you did probably resolve it in the best way, which is have a quick look through the BRB and talk it over with your opponent. And then just pick the most likely seeming solution. You can always go over the situation again after the game after all...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
masterhwan

#4 Post by masterhwan »

Thanks guys. I think we decided that we're going to allow the cover save in future cases like this. appreciate the feedback!
Bashtrigger

#5 Post by Bashtrigger »

The way I see it, there will be trees in the way, so cover should apply. When units shoot out of a forest they can stand at the edge to prevent the trees from standing in the way. When the rules aren't clear, use logic and come to a mutual understanding with your opponent. When you both can't agree, roll a dice to determine what ruling to use. Keeps the games friendly and the gamers happy :D