Shield of Saphery and the Ironcurse Icon

Ask any rules specific questions here
Blackmoon

Shield of Saphery and the Ironcurse Icon

#1 Post by Blackmoon »

Would Shield of Saphery increase the ward save bestowed by the Ironcurse Icon????
John Rainbow

Re: Shield of Saphery and the Ironcurse Icon

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Yes.

The spell description says something about it adding +1 to the ward save to a max. of 3++ if the unit already has one. Don't have my book on me atm so can't give the exact quote but the answer is yes.
Enomiel

#3 Post by Enomiel »

The answer is more hazy that meet the eyes, I think a consensus is not reached on whether:

-Shield of Saphery grant a more general ward thus overriding the iron-curse icon.
-SoS only augment the iron-curse thus giving a 5++ against WM only
-SoS both augment iron-curse and grant the mundane ward thus resulting in a 5++ against WM and a general 6++

The same question could be asked with the SM ward against non-template shooting. I hope for the last option but until GW give us a FAQ you'll have to reach an agreement with your opponent beforehand or ask for local ruling in case of a tournament.
Magic95Fan

#4 Post by Magic95Fan »

This is a good question. I was wondering the same thing. I'm really tired of having Alarielle get killed on turn 1 or 2 by my buddy's Doom Diver.
Jimmy
Centurion

#5 Post by Jimmy »

Wouldn't she get a Look out roll?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Jimmy wrote:Wouldn't she get a Look out roll?
She would if she was in a unit with 5 or more infantry (excluding champion). :D
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Magic95Fan

#7 Post by Magic95Fan »

Ahhhh. We had clearly misinterpreted that rule. Since the wording on page 93 only said "champion", we decided that characters could not take a "look out sir." We are both new to the game though, and I am hoping we misinterpreted.
pk-ng

#8 Post by pk-ng »

Magic95Fan wrote:Ahhhh. We had clearly misinterpreted that rule. Since the wording on page 93 only said "champion", we decided that characters could not take a "look out sir." We are both new to the game though, and I am hoping we misinterpreted.
you did

All characters get look out sir if they are the same unit type (e.g infantry, cavalry and etc) with the unit they are in. As long as there's at least 5 rank and file (excluding champion) in the unit when it is it.
If there's less than 5 RnF then the owning player (the player owning the unit) get to distribute the shot as equally as possible.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

Magic95Fan wrote:Ahhhh. We had clearly misinterpreted that rule. Since the wording on page 93 only said "champion", we decided that characters could not take a "look out sir." We are both new to the game though, and I am hoping we misinterpreted.
The rules for look out sir for characters are a bit hidden in the character section, so you actually read the rule on p93 correct. It just wasn't the complete rule :)

The rules for look out sir for characters are on page 97 (for lone characters who can get a 4+ LoS roll) and on page 99 (for characters in units).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Bashtrigger

#10 Post by Bashtrigger »

Enomiel wrote:The answer is more hazy that meet the eyes, I think a consensus is not reached on whether:

-Shield of Saphery grant a more general ward thus overriding the iron-curse icon.
-SoS only augment the iron-curse thus giving a 5++ against WM only
-SoS both augment iron-curse and grant the mundane ward thus resulting in a 5++ against WM and a general 6++

The same question could be asked with the SM ward against non-template shooting. I hope for the last option but until GW give us a FAQ you'll have to reach an agreement with your opponent beforehand or ask for local ruling in case of a tournament.
In my circles it's played as increasing the ward save to 5++ against war machines and a general 6++ against everything else. To me this seems to be the most straightforward logical way to play it, as the save from the ironcure icon is still a ward save at any time you would be hit with war machine fire, but I can see how it could be argumentated to work differently. Just make sure everyone agrees on the ruling you choose and then just stick with it.