enchanted shield and unforging

Ask any rules specific questions here
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

enchanted shield and unforging

#1 Post by Ferny »

The other night a slann cast unforging on my BSB with reaver, PoS and enchanted shield. We rolled to wound against my full AS including enchanted shield, then we randomised which item was nuked and killed the shield.

1. Does the 'to wound' roll come before or after the nuking, as in this instance it affects the save (conversely, it would affect it the other way if a ward item was destroyed). The spell is written in this order but other than that I don't think it expresses an order.

2. Once the shield is nuked, does it just lose its magical properties or is the shield itself also destroyed. From the spell description it looks like there is no mundane shield left in its place - just a smoking lump of useless metal - am I reading that right?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: enchanted shield and unforging

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

1. before the nuking of the item. Wording is (roughly) "Target suffers a wound on ... The owning player then must reveal..." First the one happens, then the other.

2. Item is destroyed, it does not simply have its effects removed (that was previous edition). A destroyed item is no longer used. So the shield doesn't exist anymore.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#3 Post by Ferny »

So we played it right :)

Bashtrigger

#4 Post by Bashtrigger »

No, in fact you played it wrong, because straight after you use your charmed shield, it's been 'used' and any items as such that are one use only, are excluded from randomization (per the unforging rules), your shield is used and only the other items are then randomized for destruction.

Arcane unforging indeed destroys items, therefore an armour of destiny will not even give a 5+ heavy armour save anymore.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#5 Post by Ferny »

Except in this example I'm using the enchanted shield.

But if it were the charmed shield I think we'd still be OK, because it only wards you against hits, and this is a straight to wound spell, so it would wound on 4+ (heavy+shield) and then no ward and shield remains eligible for obliteration.

Bashtrigger

#6 Post by Bashtrigger »

Haha, you're right, here I am trying to correct you but making the mistake myself :oops: