When can potion of strength be declared?

Ask any rules specific questions here
Nicene

When can potion of strength be declared?

#1 Post by Nicene »

The item says "at the beginning of any player's turn."

So if I want to use it on the enemy turn, I have to use it before he checks for animosity, rampage, etc.; correct? And certainly before charges are declared.

I'm thinking how sweet it would be on my reaver bow/halberd BSB if I'm anticipating a charge: 3 str8 stand-and-shoot, then 3 str8 ASF in close combat. But I have to declare it BEFORE the enemy charges, correct?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Stormie

Re: When can potion of strength be declared?

#2 Post by Stormie »

Yeah, there’s a general “start of turn” phase, during which it should be declared. It can be a bit tricky when you consider other “start of turn” mechanics, such as Stupidity or Animosity, both of which can cause or prevent a charge. As with everything that happens at the same time yet separately, the payer whose turn it is decides the order, so he could potentially insist on you declaring any potions before he takes that crucial stupidity/animosity test that will determine whether or not his uber-killy character charges your Potion of Strength dude.

Of course, the problem is that he will not typically know you have such a potion to begin with, so you could end up in the situation where he passes his stupidity/animosity etc. and then you say “My guy drinks his Potion of Strength”, then if he’s a bit sly he might go “Well you should have done it first, I declare the order.” and then you don’t really get to spring it on him so much, which could be a bit annoying.

But in practise, just saying it before charges are declared usually works fine for everybody.
dragonhunterslayer

#3 Post by dragonhunterslayer »

Nicene wrote: I'm thinking how sweet it would be on my reaver bow/halberd BSB if I'm anticipating a charge: 3 str8 stand-and-shoot,
If I remember correctly, you will only get 1 str8 shot from stand-and-shoot. The Reaver Bow has MS(3) and under the ruling for Multiple Shoots it says that this rule does not come into play when performing a stand-and-shoot. It's in the BRB. :/
Domine Nox
D3niROTCODht01

#4 Post by Domine Nox »

dragonhunterslayer wrote: under the ruling for Multiple Shoots it says that this rule does not come into play when performing a stand-and-shoot. It's in the BRB. :/
Where is that ruling? I don't see it under Multiple Shots, or Stand and Shoot.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48766]Nox's Painting/Modelling Log[/url]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60529]Nox's Battle Report Log[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I know of at least one strong player who stopped including the Potion of Strength because he could never remember to declare it!
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

Yeah start of the turn only. I too use it on a Reaver Bow Noble either to get 3 decent str. shots off to kill the big nasties (in combo with RBTs) or sometimes, I end up saving it until CC when I want to challenge and punk some uppity hero who things he can take a HE noble armed with a bow in CC.
wisetiger7

#7 Post by wisetiger7 »

Domine Nox wrote:Where is that ruling? I don't see it under Multiple Shots, or Stand and Shoot.
I agree, there is no ruling on Multiple Shots vs Stand and Shoot. The Sniper rule has errata that states it can't be used in a S&S reaction, but Multiple Shots should be allowable, as a S&S reaction states "the unit makes a normal, although out of sequence, shooting attack against the charging unit".
thelordcal wrote:Or he uses his big a$$ banner pole as a great weapon...
wisetiger7 wrote:That's what she said.
Asurion Whitestar wrote:I would normally delete such an off topic post, but this is just too good. Classic..!! :)
f00ssa

#8 Post by f00ssa »

The old reaver bow had a special restriction that it only shot once during s&s, could be old memories
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#9 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

SpellArcher wrote:I know of at least one strong player who stopped including the Potion of Strength because he could never remember to declare it!
I could see myself doing that quite easily.
jsg2295

#10 Post by jsg2295 »

So...can you do 3 shots on stand and shoot with reaver bow? Because this came up in a game I played where the person had a wayfairer wood elf or whatever he is called that would allow him to shoot twice...we argued for awhile..but when I measured the charge it was within nine which....this is how we have played it...if you are under your movement rate the unit can't stand and shoot. So I would like to know if that is played right and about the three shot rule.
pk-ng

#11 Post by pk-ng »

yes can multi shot for S&S
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support