Couple of Questions from a New Player

Ask any rules specific questions here
Asur Fire

Couple of Questions from a New Player

#1 Post by Asur Fire »

Hey guys, been collecting & painting for a few years. Finally started playing & have a few questions:

1. Scouts can deploy in an opponents Deployment Zone, as long as they are more than 12" away right? An opponent who also just started playing seemed to think otherwise.

2. In another instance- my Swordmasters were flanking an opponent. SM's win combat. In the opponents next turn (Movement Phase), he wanted to Reform his unit to face mine. I didn't think this was correct, & that the only option was a Combat Reform after Combat.

Thanks, I tried searching but didn't find anything.
First Strike

Re: Couple of Questions from a New Player

#2 Post by First Strike »

1. Yes
2. They can reform after the combat, take a Ld test at the modified Ld even if Steadfast from more ranks. However as both players are new and if it was not a tournament then you can always let it go for the first time.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

First Strike wrote:2. They can reform after the combat, take a Ld test at the modified Ld even if Steadfast from more ranks.
Actually, you use the same LD as you would when taking a breaktest. So if you are not steadfast you modify your LD with the combat result. If you are steadfast, you use your unmodified LD.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
First Strike

#4 Post by First Strike »

Will have to check on that one, I thought it was modified for the reform
Checked and I was wrong. Sorry
Last edited by First Strike on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nyeave

#5 Post by Nyeave »

rdghuizing wrote:
First Strike wrote:2. They can reform after the combat, take a Ld test at the modified Ld even if Steadfast from more ranks.
Actually, you use the same LD as you would when taking a breaktest. So if you are not steadfast you modify your LD with the combat result. If you are steadfast, you use your unmodified LD.

Rod
What if the unit who lost and want to reform is stubborn but not steadfast?
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

First Strike wrote:Will have to check on that one, I thought it was modified for the reform
BRB p55, reforming amid defeat: If your unit is steadfast (or unbreakable) the test is taken on the units unmodified leadership
Nyeave wrote:
rdghuizing wrote:

Rod
What if the unit who lost and want to reform is stubborn but not steadfast?
I was wondering the same thing actually, since the part of combat reforms only mentions steadfast. But stubborn sais:
"Stubborn units are always steadfast"

So you just follow the rules for being steadfast if you're stubborn, which means you test on your unmodified LD.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Iluvatar

#7 Post by Iluvatar »

Yes, I find this quite amusing that "stubborn units are always steadfast, whether or not they have more ranks than their enemy" (p. 76), but "a unit with the majority of its models fighting in a forest can never be steadfast (unless it is Stubborn)" (p. 119).
So stubborn units are always steadfast, but "standard" steadfast units are not always steadfast. :mrgreen:

That's why I find better to remember it as stubborn = don't apply combat resolution to break tests, and steadfast = stubborn under certain conditions (more ranks, not in forest/river, etc). :P