Can Flying Chariots March?

Ask any rules specific questions here
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Can Flying Chariots March?

#31 Post by Prince of Spires »

@Bashtrigger: No worries, no offence taken at all. You present a reasonable argument and the whole point of this forum is to have rules discussions. It seems you did perhaps miss the point of my post. I agree with your ruling. For me the wording "can march as normal" is clear to mean "if you can march in a normal situation you can also march when you make a flying move".

My point was more that when you have a rules discussion with someone who is 100% sure he is right, then saying things like "it is clear that the author meant to say" or "if you look at the wording a bit differently" usually just undermine your argument. After all, these arguments are easily countered with "we have no idea what the author meant, we only have the written rules to go on."

And up to a point that person would be right of course. For all we know, the author did mean that flying chariots could march. I've never asked him at least. What's probably more the case though is that the author never considered flying chariots when writing this rule and he thought it was pretty clear what he meant. But we have no way to be sure of that. So we can't speak for him. We can only go off what he writes down.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#32 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Issues like this are what has really turned me off to 8e warhammer. I don't have a problem with the fact that some of the wordings aren't quite as clear as they should be. It's just that they don't do anything about it, instead leaving everyone to argue their own opinion on the matter. In 1990 it was hard to know what issues people were having with the rules. It also wasn't easy to get any corrections in circulation, WD and I suppose printouts at the stores would be the only options. In 2014 it's simply nuts that they aren't any better at it (and in all honesty are probably worse than they were 10 years ago).

On this particular issue, I doubt they are supposed to be able to march. But I can fully understand where someone would get the idea that they can. The "Why not say they have Hover instead of flying?" question alone will be enough to convince some people. Personally I think GW would have to have much tighter rules writing in general for that argument to carry any weight. But this could (and should) have been fixed months ago.
Stormie

#33 Post by Stormie »

Pfffrp, think bigger, they should have fixed this years ago. Flying chariots have existed since the start of 8th edition, with the Black Coach, followed swiftly by the Tomb Kings' chariot belonging to Arkhan (which is doubly banned from marching as it's a chariot and Nehekharan undead).
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#34 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Stormie wrote:Pfffrp, think bigger, they should have fixed this years ago. Flying chariots have existed since the start of 8th edition, with the Black Coach, followed swiftly by the Tomb Kings' chariot belonging to Arkhan (which is doubly banned from marching as it's a chariot and Nehekharan undead).
haha fair enough.
Scarlet

#35 Post by Scarlet »

To aid those still in discussion with oppositions you can use logic. Logic dictates that a true statement and a false statement equals a false statement. Therefore if it is both true and false that the flying chariot can march, it therefore cannot march.
Saurus Oldblood, Eldar Farseer, Asrai Highborn, Asur Prince, Goblin Warboss