ETC Eltharion Light Council

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Grenic

ETC Eltharion Light Council

#1 Post by Grenic »

Finally put together a Light Council set-up I think I would find interesting to play at an ETC Singles tourney:
Lords (38.5%):
- Eltharion the Grim (General, Lore of Light)
- Loremaster, Book of Hoeth, Myrwrym, Sword of Might, Ironcurse, Luckstone
- Archmage, 4th Level, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Endurance, Ring of Fury (Lore of Light)
Heroes (6.4%):
- Noble, BSB, Shield, Lion Cloak, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Dragonbane Gem
Core (25.0%):
- 18 x Archers, Full Command
- 18 x Archers, Full Command
- 5 x Ellyrian Reavers, Bows only
- 5 x Ellyrian Reavers, Standard Bearer, Spears and Bows
Special (14.2%):
- 20 x White Lions, Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon
Rare (15.8%):
- 4 x Eagle Claw
- 2 x Great Eagles
Total: 2400 points

ETC Comp Calculation
(1) Ld 10 with Spirit Leech
(3) Banner of the World Dragon
(1) 1+ Eagle Claws

I think the list will struggle against Horde Armies, but apart from a few armies, ETC has mostly mitigated this threat.

Thoughts?
John Rainbow

Re: ETC Eltharion Light Council

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

It seems ok but in my mind you don't have a lot of punch once they get to you in CC.
pk-ng

#3 Post by pk-ng »

I don't really think Etharion is worth the 1 comp (at least in this set up). 295 points for 4+/5++ T3 elf. Pretty easy to kill.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Grenic

#4 Post by Grenic »

John Rainbow wrote:It seems ok but in my mind you don't have a lot of punch once they get to you in CC.
Yes this is always a bit of a problem for High Elf Light Councils, the magic investment is so high that the bunker can get small. I was hoping to use the Chaff to keep real combat threats off the bunker. Then again, the combination of a Loremaster with 6 light spells can make the bunker quite deadly in combat, but of course you need a good magic phase to swing this.
pk-ng wrote:I don't really think Etharion is worth the 1 comp (at least in this set up). 295 points for 4+/5++ T3 elf. Pretty easy to kill.
The alternative is to go with a Prince + Mage, which costs a Great Eagle. I guess the question is more around the extra turn the Great Eagle gives the bunker as compared to a 2+/4++ save combo. While the Prince's better tank set-up is good, will it result in the Prince surviving 2 additional close combat phases? Hard to say, it may be more situational than anything, assuming the High Elf players have equal skill using their Chaff.
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

This might be comp related but why not take a level 2 mage instead of Eltharion? Would this hit you in the comp?
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

John Rainbow wrote:This might be comp related but why not take a level 2 mage instead of Eltharion? Would this hit you in the comp?
nope. it'll reduce the comp.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Grenic

#7 Post by Grenic »

John Rainbow wrote:This might be comp related but why not take a level 2 mage instead of Eltharion? Would this hit you in the comp?
Swapping Eltharion for a 2nd Level is an option and with the freed up points you could chose to:
- add a Frost Phoenix by also dropping the two Great Eagles;
- increase the White Lions to 28 models plus around 70 points of other stuff; or
- add a Noble with a shield, Lion Pelt, Dragonhelm and Ogre Blade.

While a Frost Phoenix is a good unit, with the relatively lax control over war machines in the ETC comp along with the simplified ETC LoS rules would seem to make this model easy points in this list. While you could hide it, which is not a bad option in a team event, such a solution is less than ideal in a singles event as you really need to get points with the model. Further this approach would not address the size of the White Lion unit and reduces it's leadership to Ld9. This list would score a 5 under ETC comp.

As for the second option, to offset the lost 4 x S6 ASF attacks, the unit would need to be 8 wide to get an additional 6 non-ASF S6 attacks. Unfortunately this would also put all the characters in the front rank of the bunker, placing 420 points with protected at best by a 4+ / 5+ WS (Archmage/Mage) in the line of fire as compared to just under 300 points protected by a 4+ AS and a 5+ WS. This option also results in the bunker only having a 9 Ld reducing the effectiveness of Spirit Leech.

While a larger White Lion unit might survive longer, I would expect most opponents would see the advantage of simply rushing the bunker to drop the wizards. If on the other hand the bunker was kept at 6 wide, only the second level would be at risk, but here the opponent only has to score 2 wounds to force the Archmage to the front rank. While this is not a concern when the bunker gets charged by a unit with the same I-stat or ASF, it would be a real issue against a unit with at least one character with or without out ASF and a champion and unit without ASF. The list would score a 4 under ETC comp.

The last option of adding a noble would offset 3 of the ASF S6 attacks. With the residual points to you could add 3 more White Lion models. This option would give a slightly larger bunker unit, but still only has Ld9. The list also scores a 4 on the ETC comp.

While I think any of these options could be used, I preferred the Eltharion option as it would tend to suit my play style best.