2000pts High Elf List Tournement Army

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bengarion

2000pts High Elf List Tournement Army

#1 Post by Bengarion »

Hi, I made a list a few days back and after some advise I have managed to get closer to final version, although there are still a few things I am unsure about.

1x (L4) Archmage - w/Talismen of Preservation + Dispel Scroll = 325pts
1x Noble - w/Armour of Caledor and GW = 118pts

40x Spear Elves - w/FC + War Banner = 405pts
10x Archers = 110pts

19x White Lions - w/FC = 315pts (Noble in here)
14x Phoenix Guard - w/FC = 240pts (Archmage Bunker)
12x Swordmasters - w/FC + Banner of Ellyrian and Bladelord w/Talismen of Loec = 325pts
5x Dragon Princes = 150pts

1x Bolt Thrower = 100pts

Some things I can't decide on are whether I should downgrade from TOP to Guardian Phoenix and drop 2 white lions and use them 6x3 in exchange for the banner of sorcery or a great eagle. I also cant make my mind up on the horde spearelves, risky considering templates will ruin them and they arent exactly cheap-cheap so im not sure, may replace them with Sea Guard, aslo where do you think I should put the TOL? With the bladelord or the noble?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I do not have a BSB and do not intend to make one so bear that in mind :)

Cheers
grantmepower

Re: 2000pts High Elf List Tournement Army

#2 Post by grantmepower »

Sorry it took so long to get around to commenting on this.
Your character setup seems fine, though why do you not plan on making a BSB? They're great and will appear in almost every list you see.
You're right to be concerned about the horde spear elves. In this case having a horde does nothing for you because spears can fight in 4 ranks anyway. You have all the disadvantages of an unwieldy horde without the advantage of additional attacks. Instead I would reduce the unit down to 30 or so and take another small unit of archers to meet the minimum core requirement (depending on the models you own/have painted of course. What core do you own?). If you decide to go with a large unit of horde spears then you may consider using the lore of shadow on your archmage because mindrazor synergises so well with the massive number of attacks they put out. It also does pretty well with your swordmasters and phoenix guard in the army.

The special unit setup is good, though you may consider a musician on your dragon princes for swift reform (which is really useful for heavy cav). Also, you could save some points by not having full command on the swordmasters because they aren't really there for static combat resolution anyway. They're there for kills.
With the white lions, what formation do you plan on using them in? 5x4? I recommend adding one white lion to the unit and using them 7x3 to maximize attacks. Same with the swordmasters, making sure to use them 6x2.

The Banner of Sorcery would be nice to have.

Generally I like the army and think it should work, but just a few little tune-ups are needed.
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
henrypmiller

#3 Post by henrypmiller »

I know you dont want a BSB but why not? you have a noble sitting there who can have it for 25pts. Its worth the points.

Id drop the 10 spears and warbanner and get an eagle or two. maybe consider taking flaming banner with the archers. its 10 pts and useful.
Bengarion

#4 Post by Bengarion »

Okay i have pretty much reshaped the army list. This is what I was looking at.

1x Archmage w/Dispel Scroll + Talismen of Preservation = 325pts

1x Noble w/Great Weapon + Heavy Armour = 97pts
1x BSB w/Armour of Caledor and Guardian Phoenix = 160pts

27x Spearelves w/FC + Banner of Discipline = 283pts (BSB)
10x Archers = 110pts
10x Archers = 110pts

17x White Lions w/FC + BOAP = 310pts (Noble)
14x Phoenix Guard w/FC +BOSorcery = 290pts (Archmage)
12x Swordmasters w/Bladelord +Standard Bearer + Talismen of Loec =214pts

1x Bolt Thrower = 100pts

Okay I have put in a BSB after playing a tourement yesterday and realising that as you say henry, everyone had lol. The reason i didnt like the idea was my noble would have no great weapon, which with elves is so awesome. But I now appreciate how useful they are. What do you think?
Tetengo

#5 Post by Tetengo »

Bengarion wrote:Okay I have put in a BSB after playing a tourement yesterday and realising that as you say henry, everyone had lol. The reason i didnt like the idea was my noble would have no great weapon, which with elves is so awesome. But I now appreciate how useful they are. What do you think?
BRB FAQ page 8:

Q: Can a standard bearer use a weapon that requires two hands? Can he use an additional hand weapon?
A: Yes to both questions.

You can, and should, give him a great weapon. Every HE BSB (on foot) you'll ever see will be 168 points, the only difference will be whether they have Dawnstone or Guardian Phoenix. I prefer Dawnstone as most of the time he'll be facing troops of S6 or lower, for templates he gets a LOS! anyway, and not many people will try and magic snipe him when they could get your archmage instead.
[i][color=#0080BF]"O Isha, here I stand, on the last shore, a sword in my hand, Ulthuan shall never fall!"[/color][/i]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

I'd drop either the Noble or the RBT andget a pair of eagles in.
Bengarion

#7 Post by Bengarion »

BRB FAQ page 8:

Q: Can a standard bearer use a weapon that requires two hands? Can he use an additional hand weapon?
A: Yes to both questions.

You can, and should, give him a great weapon. Every HE BSB (on foot) you'll ever see will be 168 points, the only difference will be whether they have Dawnstone or Guardian Phoenix. I prefer Dawnstone as most of the time he'll be facing troops of S6 or lower, for templates he gets a LOS! anyway, and not many people will try and magic snipe him when they could get your archmage instead.[/quote]

OMG this is awesome news! lol Thanks I will do! Hmmm dawnestone that is a tough one, 5+ ward vs rerolling a 4 or 5 + armour save. I will think about it before I hand my list in.
SpellArcher wrote:I'd drop either the Noble or the RBT andget a pair of eagles in.
I am going to drop the noble but I dont think I will take eagles, they have limited uses nowadays, may opt for the chariot.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Please check out the stickied eagles thread at the top of the Tactics forum.

Eagles are a vital part of virtually every list on here.
Bengarion

#9 Post by Bengarion »

SpellArcher wrote:Please check out the stickied eagles thread at the top of the Tactics forum.

Eagles are a vital part of virtually every list on here.
Have done. I have now included one as they seem very useful. I like the idea of using them to chase down units that have broken from combat against other units.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

That thread is full of good stuff.

Most important use of eagles is to park them 1" in front of the enemy's combat block and re-direct it.