3k 'Ard Boyz Style Tourney - Please Help

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

DarkJoo77

3k 'Ard Boyz Style Tourney - Please Help

#1 Post by DarkJoo77 »

I am getting ready for an 'Ard Boyz style tournament in my home town.  3000 points with high painting and sportsmanship scores. I'm at 2703 points right now. I'm going for a MSU strategy that can really focus power where i want. Also, I only have 24 archers, so keep that in mind. Input is highly appreciated.

Lords 720
Teclis - Shadow?
Alith Anar

Heroes 178
Noble BSB, BoWD, Dragon Armor, Shield 178

Core 825
Archers x20 SB, Mus 235
Spear-elves x30 FC 295
Spear-elves x30 FC 295

Special 980
Shadow Warriors x5
Dragon Princes x5
Lion Chariot
Swordmasters x7
Swordmasters x7
White Lions x21 FC, Banner of Sorcery, Ironcurse Icon 400

Rare
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

I'm not sure where to go with the remaining points. I could take a Lvl 1 mage w/Annulian Crystal. I thought about a white lion unit of 14. Another chariot  could be good. A bolt thrower could also be helpful.

Also, I was thinking that Shadow would be the best Lore choice, but if someone thinks otherwise, I'd love to hear your reasons.
dabber
Tactician

Re: 3k 'Ard Boyz Style Tourney - Please Help

#2 Post by dabber »

Except for Teclis, what makes the list super 'Ard? You have .... Teclis leading a normal looking army. You should encounter massive death-star points denial lists, or incredible model spam, or pure gunlines, or other extremely extremely overloaded lists. For example, a Dwarf list with tons of dispel capability, 7+ war machines, and every trooper with a ranged weapon. A WoC list with a size 50 unit of Chosen. Skaven with 500 slaves. How do you handle extreme lists like that? Or are you playing scenarios that somehow limit the winning abilities of such things?
DarkJoo77

#3 Post by DarkJoo77 »

From past experience, and the month notice on the tournament, I don't expect too much cheese. There will be no large slave blocks. It will be warp lightning spam. I think I can deal with gunlines rather well with the book changes to empire guns, Pit of Shades, shadow warriors, and three eagles.

I was considering death/shadow combo, but how effective is that?
grantmepower

#4 Post by grantmepower »

DarkJoo77 wrote:I was considering death/shadow combo, but how effective is that?
With Teclis as your caster it would be totally useless to take another mage that planned on doing any casting. Teclis's spells will get through on Irresistible Force, leaving all of your opponent's dispel dice for the second mage. The only time I'd take a second mage along with Teclis would be for the Annulian Crystal.
Ulthuan in Flames: 13/9/6 Bel Hathor 77 kills
DarkJoo77

#5 Post by DarkJoo77 »

3000 Point List

Here is the list I played a practice game with last night against a 2-Slann Lizardmen army. I included letter grades on their performance. 

Lords 720
Teclis - Shadow A+
Alith Anar C+

Heroes 324
Noble BSB, BoWD, Dragon Armor, Great Weapon 184 A
Mage Annulian Crystal 140 -Beasts B

Core 825
Archers x20 SB, Mus 235 C
Spear-elves x30 FC 295 A
Spear-elves x30 FC 295 A

Special 980
Shadow Warriors x5 B-
Dragon Princes x5 A+
Lion Chariot N
Swordmasters x7 C
Swordmasters x7 C
White Lions x21 FC, Banner of Sorcery, Ironcurse Icon 400 A

Rare
Great Eagle A
Great Eagle A
Great Eagle A

Total 2999

I rolled Curse of Arnaheir for the mage. I think this is the best spell for him in beasts. I'd like to hear opinions on that. 

I put Teclis and my BSB in my WL unit and casted away. I killed his Death Slann turn one with Pit of Shades and that was pretty much game. I lost no units. Teclis and Dragon Princes were MVPs. The Annulian Crystal and Teclis shut down most of his magic phases. 

DPs wiped out a unit of skinks and held a 30 block of Saurus stuck in a river for 3-turns without taking a wound. 

Alith Anar didn't do much until late. Killed 5 temple guard and did 1 wound to a Stegadon.

Spearmen wiped out two heroes and their Saurus bodyguard with help from mindrazor. 

The swordmasters didn't do much of anything. They broke some skinks and soaked up damage.

I think I will take high magic next time with my level 1. Any suggestions?
shaynew1

#6 Post by shaynew1 »

you might consider metal on the level 1 for a cheap ranged way (searing doom) to deal with mournfang/knight spam and stupid hydras.
DarkJoo77

#7 Post by DarkJoo77 »

shaynew1 wrote:you might consider metal on the level 1 for a cheap ranged way (searing doom) to deal with mournfang/knight spam and stupid hydras.
I guess I'll try that this weekend over high magic. I'm really just looking for a lore that has something worth throwing 6 dice at if I really need it. That is the only way I'm going to get it off with all of Teclis' IF's.
shaynew1

#8 Post by shaynew1 »

final transmutation is a good 6 dice spell of doom.

but a 6 dice searing doom can take out whole units of knights. its also the easiest way to kill the unkillable dreadlord (aww im sorry the spell has no strength; sorry pendant of stupid) which im sure you will see plenty of times at this sort of tournament.

*edit* level 2 metal is my default 2nd caster. i never leave home without one. its just such a great way to deal with the things that give me problems.
DarkJoo77

#9 Post by DarkJoo77 »

shaynew1 wrote:final transmutation is a good 6 dice spell of doom.

but a 6 dice searing doom can take out whole units of knights. its also the easiest way to kill the unkillable dreadlord (aww im sorry the spell has no strength; sorry pendant of stupid) which im sure you will see plenty of times at this sort of tournament.

*edit* level 2 metal is my default 2nd caster. i never leave home without one. its just such a great way to deal with the things that give me problems.
So after looking more closely at Metal, I've been considering just using Metal as my primary lore with Teclis and getting rid of the support mage all together. What are your thoughts?
dabber
Tactician

#10 Post by dabber »

I really doubt Metal will give Teclis enough potential impact. Transmutation is awesome, but the rest falls off fast. Check out the review in the 9 Lore Challenge, for example.
shaynew1

#11 Post by shaynew1 »

metal would be a good lore against a few armies, but not so much against many. for example, the last tournament i played (w my HE) i face a dark elf sac dagger list with both level 4 and level 2 metal mages, and he had nothing that frightened me in his magic phase.

i think its too situational to be a primary lore. fantastic 2nd lore because searing doom is the default spell, and theres some utility in the others (only one off the top of my head i can remember that stinks is the golden hounds one). not to mention the chance at final transmutation.
DarkJoo77

#12 Post by DarkJoo77 »

3000 Point List

I made a few more changes. I am going to run Teclis aggressively in a unit of PG w/BSB. My plan is to run the unit 3-wide so I don't have to worry about Teclis getting owned in CC. I will probably run Death, but will change the lore as needed, as I had forgotten Teclis chooses each battle. 

The white lion champion has terror for synergy with Doom an Darkness.

How much do I need a unit with magical attacks?

There are five points Ro work with.

Lords 720
Teclis 
Alith Anar

Heroes 184
Noble BSB, BoWD, Dragon Armor, Great Weapon 184

Core 759
Archers x14 Mus 159
Spear-elves x30 FC Banner of Eternal Flame 305
Spear-elves x30 FC 295

Special
Shadow Warriors x7