8th High Elves 2000pts - Think this'll work nicely....

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Quannum

8th High Elves 2000pts - Think this'll work nicely....

#1 Post by Quannum »

So I've now had the opportunity to look through the 8th BRB and have come up with this for my 2000pts list, although I have the feeling that our regular points is going to go up to around 2500pts, as a pitched battle now takes far less time to complete. Explanation for choices below list:

Archmage - Level 4, Skeinsliver, Book of Ashur (+1 to cast and dispel)
Mage - Level 2, Seerstaff, Gem of Courage
Moble - BSB, GW, AoCaledor, Guardian Phoenix

20 Spearelves - Full Command
20 LSG - Full Command, Banner of the Eternal Flame
15 Phoenix Guard - Full Command, Standard of Blades
5 Dragon Princes - Full Command

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
2 Great Eagles

TOTAL - 1998pts.

Magic has been 'proper sorted out' for the better, IMHO and I intend to capitalise. The Archmage with the Book of Ashur gives me +5 to his casting attempts, and +6 to my dispel attempts, when coupled with the HE's innate dispel bonus. This is just downright brutal. He is accompanied by the BSB, who is now a vital part of ANY list given that you re-roll ANY leadership tests if you are within 12" of him. The Armour of Caledor/GPHoenix makes him survivable and the GW gives him killability (hello, higher initiative). The level 2 mage is an efficient beast, able to select exactly the spells I need, and capitalising again on the HE's Mage's ability to choose ANY lore. The gem of courage gives the unit he goes with a better chance of consistency.

Onto the core, and I have two nice blocks - one of standard spearmen as they are tried and tested, and one of the new boys, as they will utilise a free reform to go from archers in a 10x2 formation, to fighting-in-four-ranks spearmen in 5x4 with flaming shots and attacks. And its still min core.

Specials are a no brainer - Phoenix guard have gotten so much more better whilst Lions/Swordmasters are a little less effective. The PG will be a bunker for the Archmage and BSB, and thanks to the banner have S4, Armour-piercing halberds. Nice. Couple that with a few of the spells from Lore of Metal, particularly the one that PERMANENTLY reduces an enemy unit's armour save by one and I'm dancing. Dragon Princes are there for some flanking cavalry and now with re-rolls, hit much much harder.

Finally, though the combining of a warmachine with its crew in terms of statlines makes RBT's weaker, they are still a versatile option, and will now be targeting archers and gunners primarily as a support platform, leaving the heavy stuff to my LSG, DP and PG. The great Eagles will come into their own in this format and are no brainers - march blocking, redirecting, flee reactions and warmachine hunting. You'll see.

Anyway, thoughts?

Q
Quannum. Funkin' out in every way. Since 1987.

[u]Currently Playing:[/u]
WHFB: High Elves; The Empire; Ogre Kingdoms
40k: Orks; Space Wolves
AGOT Board Game: House Stark
theviking

Re: 8th High Elves 2000pts - Think this'll work nicely....

#2 Post by theviking »

Couple of thoughts, Book of Ashur is too expensive in my mind for +1. You already get +4 which is average of 11 total on two dice, and when it comes to casting big spells +1 isn't going to make that much of a difference. I'd much rather have a nice ward and maybe some MR so when the miscast happens you have a chance of surviving.
standard spearmen as they are tried and tested
...but LSG are spearmen. They just have bows as well. Sure they cost more, but spears can only kill things they touch, LSG have a 24" danger zone. You don't even need to worry about reforming, as you only lose four shots from a 5x4 formation. I predict spears and LSG will rapidly change places in the metagame, as LSG do the combined jobs of archer and spear for a third less cost. Much more efficient.
Bolt Thrower

#3 Post by Bolt Thrower »

No banner of sorcery? I think you need to find those points somewhere and put it on the DP's. You're going to get one of those big spells and the banner can help to mitigate those times where power dice didn't generate as much as you'd hope. It basically takes your average from 7 to 9.

To help make room for it, I agree that the book of ashur is quite expensive for just the +1 both ways. By losing it you could pick up the banner and then go silver wand on your AM.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
HERO

#4 Post by HERO »

I look the Book of Ashur. It's not only +1 to cast, but +1 to dispel. That gives us +6 to dispel against everything with our Lv.4.

With Banner of Sorcery, he will have an average of 9 dice to play with per turn. That's pretty significant. The real debate is whether or not you're going for magic heavy or a more combat effective Phoenix Guard.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Pash

#5 Post by Pash »

To be honest, looking at the list there is nothing in that army that is "punchy". Apart from the Archmage, who will be used as a support character for buffs etc., there isn't anything that can deal out the damage.

I would suggest dropping the Dragon Princes and going for 10-man White Lions or even 10-man Swordmasters unit. That way if you want to drop in the Banner of Sorcery there, it'll stay around for longer. Plus, neither get the "rubber-lance" syndrome and will be able to consistently push out more attacks.
Some old has-been.

Twitter:@kingpash

Glory to the Asur!