1500 Points Tag Team - New High Elf Player

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

sco0terkid

1500 Points Tag Team - New High Elf Player

#1 Post by sco0terkid »

Hey, I'm new to high elves and these forums, so I wanted a little insight on this list I recently constructed. I have a 1000 point list pre-made to get a start on constructing my army. However, there is a tag team tournament that is 1500 points, and I kind of wanted to bring high elves to get some more first hand experience with them. It's random pairings, so I have no idea who I'll be paired up with.

Lords*
x1 Archmage - Level 4 (High Magic)/Book of Hoeth/Talisman of Endurance (305)

LD 9, so there's a chance that he becomes the army general. Being a level 4 with Book of Hoeth, he'll probably do most of our (my team's) dispelling. 5+ for extra protection just incase I don't manage to get some spells off to take advantage of the lore attribute.

Core*
x10 Silver Helms - Standard/Musician/Shields (250)
x15 Archers (150)

Silver Helms to just have a hammer in the army. Archers to shoot off chaaf, and they are planned to be the bunker for the archmage. However, this idea kinda scares me since all it takes is less-than-powerful shooting to get rid of them.

Special*
x25 Phoenix Guard - Standard/Musician/Razor Standard (440)
x5 Dragon Princes - Musician/Standard (165)

Phoenix Guard as the Anvil. I prefer them over White Lions just because I think they look amazing, and I can't resist the in-built 4+ ward save. Dragon Princes because I like the models, and they could be used as opposing flankers to the silver helms.

Rare*
x1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70)
x1 Great Eagle (50)

Bolt throwers for some pew pew. The great eagle for warmachine hunting, chaafing, etc.

No BSB, because I'm sure I'll get paired up with someone who has one.. and we're only allowed one per army (same case with the general's inspiring presence).

Well, what do you guys think? I've only made 500-1000 point lists so far just to get a feel for the army. My main army is Skaven (I'm sorry!), so I'm not used to the small units that cost a fortune yet. haha
Cold Phoenix

Re: 1500 Points Tag Team - New High Elf Player

#2 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Pretty much perfect. The only thing I'd change is to find some points for more command models. The archers want a musican so that they can swift reform and shoot. The combat units could use champions if you think there's any chance of seeing combat lords on the other side of the table. You might also consider giving the Dragon Princes the Banner of Eternal Flame if units with regen are likely to turn up.
sco0terkid

#3 Post by sco0terkid »

Cold Phoenix wrote:Pretty much perfect. The only thing I'd change is to find some points for more command models. The archers want a musican so that they can swift reform and shoot. The combat units could use champions if you think there's any chance of seeing combat lords on the other side of the table. You might also consider giving the Dragon Princes the Banner of Eternal Flame if units with regen are likely to turn up.
''

That's a good point. Did a little rearranging of points:

Lords*
x1 Archmage - Level 4/Book of Hoeth/Talisman of Endurance (305)

Core*
x10 Silver Helms - Standard/Musician/Shields (250)
x15 Archers - musician (160)

Special*
x23 Phoenix Guard - Standard/Musician/Champion/Razor Standard (420)
x5 Dragon Princes - Musician/Standard/Banner of Eternal Flame (175)

Rare*
x1 Great Eagle (50)

Basically just took away 2 phoenix guard to add a musician to the archers, a champion to the phoenix guard, and the banner of eternal flame to the dragon princes. Seems a lot better to me.. What do you think?
Cold Phoenix

#4 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Looks better. You've got all bases covered. Archers + Bolt Throwers + Soul Quench for chaff clearing and ranged damage, Phoenix Guard as an anvil/grinder unit, Silver Helms + Dragon Princes as hammers and to pick up points. Nasty lords may be a problem, but that's where Arcane Unforging, Bolt Throwers and the Phoenix Guard (as a tarpit) come in.
Farva324

#5 Post by Farva324 »

Consider making your SH's into 2 5 man groups, those little darts really are nice sometimes.