Dual 18PG with 3++ and Shadow (shooty)

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Dual 18PG with 3++ and Shadow (shooty)

#61 Post by Curu Olannon »

It is a common misconception that multiple mages can't make use of 2d6 Winds of Magic. Well, strictly speaking it's not a misconception because you can't cast all their spells with 2d6 power dice, even with box cars there are things you'd want to have through. The point in buying multiple mages however is that they provide you with a lot of flexibility, so that any phase in any situation leaves your opponent in a very tough spot: There are always must-stop spells around.

Onto your list then. An L2 high magic mage is valuable, no doubt, but he really lacks spell selection. I went to a tournament this summer taking the Loremaster + L2 high and what I learned was that I cast a lot more with the L2 High -when- I got the right spells. When I didn't, I often didn't have any must stop spells at all and defending against my magic phase was trivial. You have the lord points you need so upgrading the L2 to an L4 only requires ~100 points.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#62 Post by Ferny »

Curu Olannon wrote:It is a common misconception that multiple mages can't make use of 2d6 Winds of Magic. Well, strictly speaking it's not a misconception because you can't cast all their spells with 2d6 power dice, even with box cars there are things you'd want to have through. The point in buying multiple mages however is that they provide you with a lot of flexibility, so that any phase in any situation leaves your opponent in a very tough spot: There are always must-stop spells around.

Onto your list then. An L2 high magic mage is valuable, no doubt, but he really lacks spell selection. I went to a tournament this summer taking the Loremaster + L2 high and what I learned was that I cast a lot more with the L2 High -when- I got the right spells. When I didn't, I often didn't have any must stop spells at all and defending against my magic phase was trivial. You have the lord points you need so upgrading the L2 to an L4 only requires ~100 points.
its not the inability to cast *all* their spells which i consider inefficient, but rather the fact that winds are likely to be low as often as high, and when they're low and no forbidden rod etc you have 500+ pts doing nothing all phase. But i take the rest of your point, for +100 spell selection, casting success and must stop all increase. Id have to playtest to see if i agree whether its worth 100 where 400 have already gone into that niche. What would you cut for it, sisters?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#63 Post by Curu Olannon »

Another common misconception is that a low phase is a bad phase. A low phase is a perfect phase because you can force through whatever spell you want. With power scroll, even a snake eyes phase is disastrous. However, to take advantage of a low phase you need to have drawn the scroll previously. If you have not, it will decimate your entire phase with ease. If the low dice phase happens before serious combat has begun however you will draw the scroll if you have the right spell.

For your list the Sisters are the most obvious models to ditch. Alternatively you could drop an RBT I suppose.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#64 Post by SpellArcher »

It's s fair point but a low winds roll is often an opportunity to force a single spell through. With the pick of two whole Lores (instead of one Lore, a sig and another probably passable spell) it's going to be one that really hurts. You also get defensive advantages, if you Break Concentration or one guy dies, you're still dispelling at plus 4.

But as you say Ferny it's points v prizes. I look at spending 135 points to upgrade my Treeman to a Lvl4 Ancient and it starts to look like a good deal. Upping a lvl2 makes sense too. But if you were to simply add an Archmage to a list built with a single caster in mind, that's going to hurt.

Edit: partly ninja'd by Curu.