utilising the Empire's 'detachment' system

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

afterglow82

utilising the Empire's 'detachment' system

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

This would usually be impossible in typically-sized games, due to the amount of extra points taken up, but I sometimes play huge games (5k-10k points per side), and in these games, im considering trying out a version of the empire detachment system.

Obviously, when playing with an empire army, there are special rules whereby detachments can use the parent unit's banner etc and can stand and shoot on behalf of the parent unit when it is charged (or at least, they were the rules last time I played empire, some moons ago), so I have to make do without these advantages. But the basic idea remains the same - because I have so many points available, I can afford to have a unit or two of 5x2 hard hitting troops supporting my big blocks of special.

for example, I have a block of 10x4/8x5 (usually I play the horde, unless I need maneuverability) phoenix guard. If I were to field 2 small 5x2 units of WL or SM, one to either side of the parent unit, (held back a couple of inches so they cant be charged without the enemy clipping the parent unit) these units would be in place to flank charge an enemy on both sides after one round of combat. I'm aware that 40 PG can deal with most foes, but with this support (I could use the same system for lesser troops, say spearmen), is there any enemy that I wouldn't be able to deal with?

Of course, moving would be an issue - this is a tactic that would suit a defensive army only, and would only work for bigger games, to allow the spare points (and a large table), but whilst it is an unusual tactic outside of the Empire rulebook, I can see it having serious potential.

Just throwing it out there anyway, make of it what you will - maybe the idea will get completely shot to pieces for reasons I haven't thought of yet!
Asur1985

Re: utilising the Empire's 'detachment' system

#2 Post by Asur1985 »

White lions can only be taken in units of 10 minimum.
afterglow82

Re: utilising the Empire's 'detachment' system

#3 Post by afterglow82 »

Asur1985 wrote:White lions can only be taken in units of 10 minimum.
5x2 is 10 :P