Which Lore(s) of magic to take?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

afterglow82

Which Lore(s) of magic to take?

#1 Post by afterglow82 »

I know this has been discussed many times on this forum, but all the threads I can find are based around maybe 1 lvl4 and one lvl2 max.

In my upcoming game however, we're operating around 8,000pts, so there will be a lot more magic floating around.

(facing DE btw)

I'm planning on definitely taking a lvl4 life, hopefully with ToV, regrowth, flesh to stone and earth blood, and sticking him in whichever special unit I give the banner of avelorn to. All these spell (when cast on this unit) will get a +8 bonus to cast. (tempted by Phoenix Guard)

Alarielle I had been planning on giving high magic to, but after reading up on here a bit more I have seen that high is more for a mage in a combat unit (ward save from the lore attribute, and short ranges on many spells), so I'm leaning now more towards making her light, and possibly taking dwellers if my Life AM hasn't already rolled it.

I also have a loremaster, obviously his spells are decided, but his knowledge of light will help casting of banishment, and he has spirit leech which I think i'll get mileage out of, as well as a couple of magic missiles.

I could comfortable squeeze in another lvl3/4, maybe for shadow, or a high mage in a big combat unit, any thoughts on this? I also keep leaning towards death -seems to be an unpopular lore (possibly because of the high casting costs, or because its not very fluffy, but.. purple sun. He's gonna have arnzipals black horror, which I imagine im gonna spend the entire game trying to dispel, and I want some payback!

Regarding lvl1/2, I have room for as many as needed really - im not going crazy on nobles, I'm taking the Handmaiden, and probably take caradryan, but I have a lot of points to spare here.

My thoughts are, some or all of the following

a lvl1 or 2 mage in each of my important units (that doesn't already have a lvl3/4) for shield of saphery spam
1 or 2 lvl1 light for a coven (with whichever lvl4 gets banishment, plus loremaster, ill have 3+ light mages)
lvl1 death to give me an extra spirit leech (I don't hear it spoken about much, but I see this as an amazing spell, especially against low LD monsters, with a big boost in power dice on wounds caused
lvl2 metal - whatever spells I roll here will be useful against his more heavily armoured units

Finally on magic items, obviously book of hoeth is going to be in there somewhere (probably not on the Life mage as his spells are almost all virtually auto-cast), would people usually take the book of ashur too? im thinking not in smaller games, but in a game of this size, having both (on different mages) could be very beneficial. And what about the folding fortress? it's an unusual one, never heard of anyone taking it (probably because it takes an entire allowance) but I have space for it in my army, so im thinking a watchtower in my deployment zone that I can stick my unit of sisters in would be absolutely brutal

as always, I look forward to your feedback :)