Teclis - does he need magical support? and proto-list...

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Teclis - does he need magical support? and proto-list...

#1 Post by Ferny »

I've seen a few lists with Teclis now and I like the look of him - seems strong but not broken and an interesting change from the norm, which for me would be Loremaster or Lv4 with book plus a Lv2 High/Heavens caddy. Ideally I'd like to treat him as the best of all worlds: a Lv5 Loremaster who picks his spells combined with a scroll caddy/forbidden rod caddy - a one man band who packs all the magical points into one incredibly fragile package!

What I'm really wondering is whether, if you go for the Big T, you need or ought to invest in more magic? Another dispel scroll probably wouldn't go amiss (not just dwarfs and lizards who can play that game!), and the forbidden rod is surely a must too, right? An obvious route to get these items would be Lv1/2 light mages for the coven, but if you're not going for a coven do you need more mages (concentration?) and can they be justified as more than caddies (e.g. doubling up spells?) Or can Mr T tank the magic phase leaving you free to invest points elsewhere?

For reference, I play no comp 2,400pts.

I'm thinking he probably fits a defensive build best, so something along these lines:

Lords: 450
Teclis

Core: 600
30 Archers FC
3x5 Reavers, spears, mus

Rare: 400 (plus sisters?)
4x RBT
2x Eagle (ASF if there's points)
Sisters?...archers could get flaming sword, but sisters would benefit from handmaiden if I took her...

Special:
Lion bunker with FC, BotWD (free stubborn vs unlucky combat and for 2nd rank protection, deathsnipe protection)...alternatively definitely take Seahelm as BSB and give him BotWD, then take PG with razor (better vs elves and hordes) and have the option of protecting other units from magic, and put the stubborn crown somewhere, giving me more flexibility with character placement?

Heroes:
BSB (possibly Lothern SeaHelm for expanding ranks to keep Teclis well out of combat but getting more lions in?)
Handmaiden with Reaver Bow/PoS perhaps - to take advantage of savage beast
Mage(s) with Forbidden Rod/Dispel Scroll - but do I need them, if so what level, what lore and what item?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
matrim

Re: Teclis - does he need magical support? and proto-list...

#2 Post by matrim »

I only used him once (here meta is eiher Swedish or ETC so Teclis suffers alot) in 3000pt list aginst a stea tank empire. I had a SH bus with prince so my lv2 beast scroll caddy mounted his horse to support his prince while Teclis enjoyed WL SM body guards. I won reasonably comfortably :D

A second scroll well worth it I think, and my alternatives were;
High Magic: for the best possible spell selection thru 9 lore at your disposal and the ward save obviously
Metal: Searing doom for the caddy so Mr T can take final trans
Beast: Double up your wildform on SM and send them to kill whatever is in your way. If you're like me you'd have Pa's protection from light so your SM are suddenly st7, t5 2A monsters with your opponent requiring min4's to hit if not 5s.

I believe the key to Mr T is having a good variety of lowish costing spells, and a couple scroll drawing big ones. So the other mage is there for either doubling up on an all important signature spell or allowing Mr T to choose a different spell then wildform or searing doom.

Amber spear and Final T are very tempting IMO but compete against really useful signature spells.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#3 Post by Curu Olannon »

Did you read my NM post-tournament evaluation? The TL;DR version is that you can probably go both ways, I.E. have him alone or with +1/+2 mages.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#4 Post by Ferny »

Curu Olannon wrote:Did you read my NM post-tournament evaluation? The TL;DR version is that you can probably go both ways, I.E. have him alone or with +1/+2 mages.
It was largely that which got me thinking about it...
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support