Enemy of the month: Dark Elves

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sackree

Re: Enemy of the month: Dark Elves

#31 Post by Sackree »

Curu Olannon wrote:Witchelves will murder anything in our list that isn't mounted or a monster, easily. They are incredibly strong vs normal elves, be it WL, PG, SM or core infantry. Looking ahead though, I think it's too early to say what the DE lists will look like as the meta will evolve tons. The peg-avoidance list is still by far the best under the current meta - while Witchelves are strong in certain matchups they are super-weak in others.

Give it a couple of months and everything will be different, regardless. Luckily, we benefit more from this than DE does.
I don't think monsters are the best answer to the witches due to poison. A star dragon is only left with a 4+ save against razor banner witches! and a phoenix only has a 6+ 5++ (maybe 4++). With the amount of rerolling attacks they put out it's quite easy for them to roll 6's.

I still maintain that 3++ PG are the best answer, due to the ease of boosting their save, having ranks and banner, hitting the same time and having an save that cannot be altered.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
pk-ng

#32 Post by pk-ng »

mcmulligan wrote:I've played a similar list (no sisters however).

PG still counter each of those units, WLs are a bad matchup against pretty much anything in the DE list unfortunately.

Its important that the sisters only get their bonus if your base strength is >4, so the PG don't activate that bonus (their base strength is only 3, even though with halberds they strike at S4).

Frostheart supporting PG, or even a decent sized group of archers are pretty strong against WE or sisters (IF you play that we keep our re-rolls). Silverhelms are decent as well, since their armour should hold up, especially if you get into a flank.

The good thing about combat blocks is they create nice targets for Fiery Convocation, and more importantly, Dwellers. Witches and sisters HATE dwellers.
Under ETC comp no infantry list will bring Frostheart. So moot point
And Sisters hit PGs on 3s as they are WS6 and you don't get rank bonus. Which means that PGs will most likely lose 1st round of combat (assuming unassisted).
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#33 Post by Curu Olannon »

Sackree wrote:
Curu Olannon wrote:Witchelves will murder anything in our list that isn't mounted or a monster, easily. They are incredibly strong vs normal elves, be it WL, PG, SM or core infantry. Looking ahead though, I think it's too early to say what the DE lists will look like as the meta will evolve tons. The peg-avoidance list is still by far the best under the current meta - while Witchelves are strong in certain matchups they are super-weak in others.

Give it a couple of months and everything will be different, regardless. Luckily, we benefit more from this than DE does.
I don't think monsters are the best answer to the witches due to poison. A star dragon is only left with a 4+ save against razor banner witches! and a phoenix only has a 6+ 5++ (maybe 4++). With the amount of rerolling attacks they put out it's quite easy for them to roll 6's.

I still maintain that 3++ PG are the best answer, due to the ease of boosting their save, having ranks and banner, hitting the same time and having an save that cannot be altered.
While true on paper, monsters just devastate Witchelves in a combo-charge. If supported by cavalry (which they typically are), the Witchelves just disappear. True, sending in a monster on its own is not that bright of an idea, but SD + FP is worth considering, at the very least.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::