What size to take of phoniex guard

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SPARTAN114

What size to take of phoniex guard

#1 Post by SPARTAN114 »

I dont know if there is already a thread like this but I think I'll make one any way here is my question

how many PG are needed for a reliable unit
Man of Chrace
popquq

Re: What size to take of phoniex guard

#2 Post by popquq »

Hi there!

Phoenix guard are my go to special unit. Depending on how many characters you bring with them, but I would not go lower then 20, depending on how big the game is of course.

popquq
HERO

#3 Post by HERO »

6x4, 5x5
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

For 2400-2500 points
20-25
always 5 wide 4 deep.
If I'm going to charge something weak like Night Goblins or something similar then 7 wide 3/4 deep.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

It's an unusual number, but I almost always run them in 15. 3X5, FC and the razor banner. Comes in at a nice 300 points. Cheap enough to allow more stuff in the list. But every time I run this unit it performs above and beyond expectations.

It manages to outfight most things thrown at it. 16 s4 AP ASF attacks is tough on anything without a 1+ AS. It's durable (I've had it take 2 direct stonethrower hits and only lose 4 models for instance). And I've never felt they needed to be bigger

Try it out and you won't be disappointed.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
finreir

#6 Post by finreir »

Most comp says max 450-500 points
Due to this and the fact they need yo be able to vary formation but always use their statice I take 21-24 somewhere, and I would never leave home without the razor banner
Ian Sturgess playing high elves and wood elves since 1990 ish
Twitter @chaffmaster1
Orien

#7 Post by Orien »

I take a unit of 20 and include a champ and razor banner, I usually run them 3 x 7 as I always include a character, typically my Archmage with Talisman of Pres and High magic. 3++ all round makes a decent unit (provided I get one spell off!)

I dont bother with BOTWD or Book of Hoeth.

Talisman of Pres, Scroll and Ring of Fury is my go to build. In my meta we try to play to swedish comp with a comp score no lower than 10 so we see some good builds and lots of variety.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

A decent unit with the 3++?

Bloody awesome unit from what I'm told!

:)
finreir

#9 Post by finreir »

SpellArcher wrote:A decent unit with the 3++?

Best unit in the book, without assistance from spells or cheeses items anyway, can fight nearly anything warhammer has to offer except thunderstomping t6 it does not like that
Twitter @chaffmaster1
Orien

#10 Post by Orien »

SpellArcher wrote:A decent unit with the 3++?

Well I know that, but I don't want them to start getting all big headed....!

:lol:
bloody nunchucks

#11 Post by bloody nunchucks »

I usually use around 25 with Razor standard. This unit, backed by some shadow magic or beasts is awesome. I rarely give up the victory points from it dying, and it usually is a major cog in my machine. It functions as an unparalleled anvil, that can also dish out some mean damage against the right targets or with the right magical support.

That being said, I do want to try out the 15 man strong unit with a full command and razor standard like the prince was saying down below, for a cool 300 points. It seems like that would make a good supporting unit.
I used to play:
High Elves
Tau
Retribution of Scyrah
finreir

#12 Post by finreir »

bloody nunchucks wrote:I usually use around 25 with Razor standard. This unit, backed by some shadow magic or beasts is awesome. I rarely give up the victory points from it dying, and it usually is a major cog in my machine. It functions as an unparalleled anvil, that can also dish out some mean damage against the right targets or with the right magical support.

That being said, I do want to try out the 15 man strong unit with a full command and razor standard like the prince was saying down below, for a cool 300 points. It seems like that would make a good supporting unit.
The reason to take Phoenix guard is to grind and make use of MP in that grind. By taking 15 you likely can't grind and also lose static and steadfast in early rounds and they really need that to make them work, in my opinion anyway.
Twitter @chaffmaster1