Help with choosing lores

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

elthran

Help with choosing lores

#1 Post by elthran »

Can someone help a new player with choosing which lore to use? Maybe a few sentences on what each lore is for, which army it is best against, and which spells I should choose if I get a choice? Any feedback would be great, I pretty much just randomly choose a lore each game and never know what spells to take.
Loremaster Avarael

Re: Help with choosing lores

#2 Post by Loremaster Avarael »

It depends on what you want magic to do. Shadow and High are always good choices. Shadow for Pit of Shades, Withering, and Mindrazor.
High has a little bit of everything present in the lore as well as what may be the best lore attribute in the game. There are a ton of threads on here about this very subject that have a great deal of useful information.
pk-ng

#3 Post by pk-ng »

It's very hard to tell you what is a good lore and what to type as there are a number of factors to consider
a) what is in your army?
b) what army are you playing against?
c) what comp system are you playing?
d) how many points are you playing?

I'll give a very general and vague overview. This is just my opinion and will vary from person to person
Fire - Good lore for a support mage mainly for fireball. Fire-cloaks is probably the weakest spell in the lore
Beast - Better on a Lvl 4 than a Lvl 1/2. Good spells are Wildform, Flock of Doom (mainly against war machines, skirmishers or lightly armoured units), Curse of Anraheir, Amber Spear. Savage beast is good if you have multiple combat characters. Pann's is probably the weakest spell in the lore.
Metal - Quite good for Lvl 4 and Lvl 1/2 as it's signature (Searing Doom) is very powerful against armoured troops which currently dominate the meta. Final Trans is probably a must as it's an auto-kill spell. Other spell in the lore are buff / hex. Gehenna's is probably the weakest spell in the lore.
Light - A very good lore as it has other offensive spells and buffs / hex. You'll hear people referring to "Light Council" and this means 1 Lvl 4 with 2 to 3 supporting lvl 1 light mages to increase the strength of Banishment. The most important spell for this lore is probably banishment. All the other spells are quite useful.
Life - Use to be a top tier lore but it's drop quite a bit. But with the meta shift to Elves you can bet this lore will be good. Must have spell is Dewellers as it auto kills units. Shield of thorns is the weakest spell in the lore. Other spells are good but base of preference. Throne of Vines is not an auto-pick as we have BotWD.
Heavens - Good support lore...comet is the most important spell here. Comet is one of the best board control spell and very threatening. It's signature Iceshard in my opinion the best hex in game. -1 to-hit and -1 Ld is very cheap to cast on 7+ or 10+ for 48". Wind blast is probably the weakest spell in the lore.
Shadow - Use to be very good lore but it's fallen out of favour because its offensive capabilities isn't great because it's base on I stats. If you very say Dwarves / Lizardmen yeah it's great but if you vs Elves no so great. Mindrazor, Withering, Pit, Misma are all good spells
Death - Probably the best lore to-date. Spirit Leech and Cariess are used to "snipe" characters out. Fate does the same but hte range is too short. Doom & Darkness and Soublight are decent hex. Purple Sun is good against most armies as its also another insta-kill spell. There's a saying: Purple Sun is lots of fun!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Great summary pk-ng.

Agree with almost all of that.
elthran

#5 Post by elthran »

I mainly play VC, WoW, or Skaven. So it seems light or shadow vs. VC, metal vs. WoW, and something vs. Skaven would be good choices. If I play Skaven and use a death snipe spell, is his leadership modified by his rank bonus? If not, it seems really easy to snipe his characters as they all have leadership 7 or less.
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

WoW = Warriors of??? Warcraft?
VC and Skaven I would take Death.
Correct that it's base on his Ld 7 and not Ld10 with SiN.
Purple Sun rapes VC so do the snipes.
Skaven are scared of snipes
WoC (which I assume this is what you mean) Metal is decent....beast as well...depends on your army.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Amber Spear is great against the single models of WoC. Wildform helps you chew through toughness and armour. Curse is helpful. Savage Beast is epic if you can get it off.
elthran

#8 Post by elthran »

Would you ever take High Magic? It is so tempting for the +1 to all spell attempts, making it harder for them to dispel. But I feel half the spells in the lore are useless.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

You need an army build to suit it elthran. High mages tend to be better in combat units, where Shield of Saphery makes a difference and you get close to overcome the short range of some of the spells. Because it's a utility Lore it favours lists with plenty of killing power built in. It's very good for board control.