How do you keep Teclis alive?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Marshal

How do you keep Teclis alive?

#1 Post by Marshal »

As the title states, I'm planning on using him for the first time against a TK army at 3000pts in a couple of weeks. He sounds awesome on paper apart from the no saves or ward save which i see as strange...

I'm planning on taking a PG bunker and placing him in there and avoiding combat unless necessary.

Thoughts?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: How do you keep Teclis alive?

#2 Post by Ferny »

Marshal wrote:avoiding combat
Anything you can do to avoid combat with him will be key. Whether that's lots of chaff to keep the enemy at bay, or a small bunker unit behind a solid line, or whatever. Also, don't forget smoke and mirrors if things get too saucy.

The other thing to be wary of is deathsnipes. There's not a lot you can do about things like dwellers, but luckily against death we have the BotWD, although it is partly wasted on PG.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Giladis
The Merlord

#3 Post by Giladis »

Apart from avoiding combat I keep him in a unit 8 Swordmaster with musician in 3x3 formation.
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#4 Post by Ferny »

Giladis wrote:Apart from avoiding combat I keep him in a unit 8 Swordmaster with musician in 3x3 formation.
Aside from the obvious - that a small unit isn't a huge points sink a bodyguard - what's the particular benefit of this? Why not use full command (to keep him off the front rank) or at least a champ to absorb flying characters? Wouldn't lions be better with their stubborn? Or if you're keeping it on the cheap side why not use core spears?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#5 Post by Curu Olannon »

It depends. A bodyguard pushing him into rank 2 is usually a good start. Also, have one dude ready for Smoke and Mirrors in emergency situations ;)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Grenic

#6 Post by Grenic »

Marshal wrote:As the title states, I'm planning on using him for the first time against a TK army at 3000pts in a couple of weeks. He sounds awesome on paper apart from the no saves or ward save which i see as strange...

I'm planning on taking a PG bunker and placing him in there and avoiding combat unless necessary.

Thoughts?
I've used Teclis a lot. Any bunker for Teclis needs the Banner of the World Dragon and needs to avoid combat in almost all cases.

My preferred bunker is a 19 model unit of White Lions with the Banner of the World Dragon. The benefit of this unit is that it is stubborn and can be run in a two file formation so Teclis is in the second rank.

I've also had success using a 15 model unit of Shadow Warriors with the Banner of the World Dragon on the BSB, but this is not a good choice against Tomb Kings.

Since you will be facing Tomb Kings, I would just go with a Teclis based Light Council list so you end up with dual S7 Banishment and two dispel scrolls.
Mist

#7 Post by Mist »

If your opp wants to kill him there is nothing you can do to stop him in the end, but the same can be said for any character. You know this and if he is hell bent on killing him then you can use it to your advantage.
The best ways are smoke and mirrors, keep him on the edge of a unit or in the second rank or bunkering him in a unit at the back of the field (as you would for any mage, but this restricts your spell choice).
I will still run him in a combat unit, at the side of the unit, with the banner. Get the most out of him for the first 2 to 3 turns and anything after that is just bonus. Always run him with a 2nd level (not in the same unit) to back him up when he goes down. He has one of the best swords in the game with ASF, so savage beasts of horrors is your best friend. Use his abilities early, try to get rid of one of your enemies spells with the scroll as soon as you can, break the staff to avoid a miscast or if you get a low winds roll on the 2nd or 3rd turn.
John Rainbow

#8 Post by John Rainbow »

I second Grenic as I know he has a lot of experience with this kind of list.

The theme of all the comments (and what mine would be) here is a bunker unit and keeping that bunker safe.