Tyrion or Teclis

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

D-4QP

Tyrion or Teclis

#1 Post by D-4QP »

Hello, everybody.

This question has probably been asked dozens (perhaps hundreds) of times already, so please forgive me if hearing it again has become annoying, but I would very much like to hear about what other High Elf players think of Tyrion and Teclis, and of which of the brothers they would use if able.

In my opinion, they are both fairy priced for what they do and are viable options. However, they serve entirely different roles. Where Tyrion is more oriented towards close combat, Teclis is a monster in the magic phase. As such, I feel that Tyrion would perform better in a more offensive list inside a unit of Dragon Princes or Silver Helms, while Teclis would be a better option for defensive lists.

I have heard people say that the brothers could be exchanged for generic characters who are able to deliver a stronger punch(i.e. Prince on Dragon vs. Tyrion/Lvl. 4 Archmage w. Book of Hoeth vs. Teclis). However, I do feel that there are some significant advantages to taking Tyrion/ Teclis over the generic characters (if the points allowance permits). For example, since Tyrion is no longer Monstrous Cavalry, he can now join a unit, which means he doesn't have in "go in alone" like a Prince on a Dragon. Another big advantage Tyrion has over a Dragon-mounted Prince is that while Dragons are large targets, and are therefore more exposed to ranged attacks, Tyrion is not. Teclis, meanwhile, provides a magical versatility that even a Lvl. 4 Archmage simply lacks. Being able to take ALL the High Magic Spells or choose spells from the other Eight Battle Lores is nothing to sneeze at, and with a Wizard Level of 5, he is VERY likely to get his spells off even without the Book of Hoeth.

But that's enough from me. What do you other High Elf players think? Do you believe the twins are still a viable option? If so, which of the twins do you find yourself using most often, and why?

Thanks
Danidude

Re: Tyrion or Teclis

#2 Post by Danidude »

Well, I would take Teclis of the two.
He is a monster in the magic phase, I would say even better then any generic wizard we can build. He do not have any defence, so you need to place him well inside your army(Archer bunker in the back f.eks). Then he will just wreak face to your opponent. Also if you take a lvl2 you may have 2 dispel scrolls, not many armies can do this ;)

Tyrion on the other hand makes you most likly not able to take an lvl4 wizard with you with book. And then your going to strugle in the magic phase. He do not give a lot to the army that Teclis will do as he might kill stuff in melee but other then that meh. Any generic price might as well do the same job cheeper. So thats the reason behind not takim him for me.
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No
the shalafi

#3 Post by the shalafi »

Well,

I would always choose Teclis of the two. With the possibility to choose some army devastating spells, I think he is far better
then Tyrion. Tyrion may be a amazing warrior, but if you can't have a lvl. 4 with book of Hoeth, you realy weaken your army.

Tough i would propably go for a lvl. 2 with forbidden rod rather then the dispell scroll: you already have a dispell scroll, and with forbidden rod you make sure then you can dominate in one magic fase.
by High elves plog: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/high-elves-of-caledor.29197/
my Vampire Counts plog: http://www.vampirecounts.net/threads/what-is-dead-many-never-die-but-rises-again-shalafis-plog.29205/
Rexhavoc

#4 Post by Rexhavoc »

I love Tyrion but he's a little bit too expensive for what you get. My main issue is that he has flaming attacks. Great vs regen but one Dragon Helm...etc and your sunk.

I haven't used 8th ed Teclis yet but a Teclis DeathStar/light council list kicked butt at Brawlers Bash 2014. The list was favored to take the tourney and was beating the 1st place WoC player when he blew a leadership 10 rerollable and ran off the table.

Tyrion is slightly too expensive and is a good support character for a strong list.

Teclis is priced right and is game changing enough where you would build your whole list around him

Vastly different roles and uses but if I had to pick I'd vote Teclis.
Browncastle

#5 Post by Browncastle »

Hey I just ran a list with Tyrion and Dragon Mage vs Skaven. I have to say they compliment each other very well. Dragon mage had sunfire gem and lvl 1. you can possible put to 40+ slaves/clanrats In one turn by using the sunfire gem and boosting tyrion with flaming sword of rhuin, then both templates are wounding on 2+. Just make sure to have BotWD within 12" I ran 24 Whitelions, with a BSB with banner of swiftness to get BotWD into range. Adding a flamespyre you got a very fast and hardhitting list, vs hordes.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
finreir

#6 Post by finreir »

Tyrion has been made worse over editions and has a flaming sword which most characters have a 2++ against so is not that good.
Teclis is the second maybe third best wizard in game certainly top 5 no matter who's opinion you have

Although alarielle is not as good a wizard as teclis she brings loads more to the party out of the 3 for me it's between her and teclis depending on build
Ian Sturgess playing high elves and wood elves since 1990 ish
Twitter @chaffmaster1
Râstë

#7 Post by Râstë »

I'd say Teclis in most cases. With him you're almost guaranteed to always get off 1-2 critical spells per turn (well, all of your spells will be critical with him around;)). In a magic phase where you have alot of dice just 2 dice flaming sword followed by 2 dicing enchanted blades of aiban on an archer horde, and your opponent will be hard pressed what to dispel. Those Archers will wreak havoc in the shooting phase and you still have up to 6 critical spells left to cast.

Don't compare Tyrion to a Dragonlord, compare him instead to a Prince with Giant Blade. He's just that but helluva lot tougher to take down.
One by one the Daemons fell and Elf Lord he stood tall
For should he fail upon his task then mortal world would fall
And on this day we bow our heads to he who world did save
Aenarion the Proud Defender, Aenarion the Ever Brave
mcmulligan

#8 Post by mcmulligan »

Teclis.

Teclis basically combines a lvl 4 with a lvl 1 scroll caddy. (And when you think about it that way, he actually isn't that expensive either)

Tyrion is just a slightly better Giant Blade prince for a lot more points, with the negative aspect of having flaming attacks (which IS a drawback far more often than a bonus in the types of fights he'll be in, i.e. against characters).

To somebody else's point earlier, I would, and do, take Alarielle over either of them, since for a significantly lower point cost, she brings a TONNE to the army.
SPARTAN114

#9 Post by SPARTAN114 »

I like teclis but that might be me cause with him were i play i have the entire table during magic like not even contested and with the right spells you can tear up the opponent's army, then run a lvl 2 or something for support with like a dispel scroll and you'll be good or aleast thats my view
Man of Chrace
pk-ng

#10 Post by pk-ng »

I'll bring both Teclis and Allarielle
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support