Do you find Shadow Warriors useful against wood elves?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sinsigel

Do you find Shadow Warriors useful against wood elves?

#1 Post by Sinsigel »

I decided to take a unit of 5 shadow warriors again, after new Wood Elves book was released on early May.
The main reason was the abundance of WE scout units with lethal arrows.
Deepwood scouts using hagbane shots are deadly to bolt throwers, while waywatchers are the bane of S3 elven cavalry.
Waywatchers were more threatening to me as I was running predominantly cavalry army.

That's why I thought shadow warriors could mitigate the threats WE scouts possess.
Not that Shadow Warriors are particularly strong against WE, but because they are also scouts.
Should I get to deploy scouts first, I can deploy shadow warriors so that WE scouts are quite far from my units.
Even if WE scouts get to deploy first, it's only a single units.
After WE player deploys his/her first scouts, I can at least go second and make sure no other WE scouts approach any closer to my vulnerable units.

However, even at 2,500pts I struggle to fit in 5 shadow warriors and other elements which i consider to be good in other areas.
5 Shadow warriors cost same as another bolt thrower, or another great eagle with some spare points.
There might be matchups where one of these options fare well than the others.

As I've forementioned, I've been running cavalry heavy 2.5K list for a while.
The one below is the list I'm using now.

Lords : 619pts
Prince(Halberd, Heavy Armour, Shield, Elven Steed - Ithilmar Barding, Giant Blade, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance)
Archmage(Level 4, Elven Steed, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation) - High Magic

Heroes : 425pts
Noble(BSB, Dragon Armour, Elven Steed - Ithilmar Barding, Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Potion of Foolhardiness)
Handmaiden of Everqueen(Reaver Bow, Charmed Shield, Potion of Strength)
Noble(Level 1, Dispel Scroll) - Lore of Beasts

Core : 631pts
10 Archers(Standard Bearer, Musician)
11 Silver Helms(Shields, Full Command)
6 Silver Helms(Shields, Musician)
5 Ellyrian Reavers(Musician)

Special : 439pts
11 Dragon Princes of Caledor(Full Command, Ogre Blade, Banner of the World Dragon)

Rare : 386pts
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle
9 Sisters of Avelorn

2,500pts

Of course, I never intended to use this list to counter wood elves. More or less all-comers (cavalry) list, or so I tried to.
High Magic and shooting units can punish T3 wood elves, but I'm still worried that I might gravely miss the presence of shadow warriors should I face WE.(Number of people starting WE seems to be increasing in my 'meta')
Even more so when I play #2 scenario from BRB, which involves random deployment.
If Dragon Princes get isolated from other cavalry units(which could act as hard cover in other scenarios), and with 2 units of waywatchers right in front of them, thing will turn gory to me.

Of course, there is more than list developing and deployment in playing WHFB, and I might as well be overthinking the issue.
But I suppose It's a good idea to ask advice from those with experiences.
sparkytrypod

Re: Do you find Shadow Warriors useful against wood elves?

#2 Post by sparkytrypod »

comment removed, incorrect information in it.
Last edited by sparkytrypod on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#3 Post by Prince of Spires »

sparkytrypod wrote:get an extra unit of reavers in there, vanguards happen before scouting so use them to block of the space u need for your cavalry.
Actually, vanguard is after scouts: "After both sides have deployed all their forces (including scouts), move vanguard units", p79

It depends a bit on what you are looking for. A unit of scouts can be useful. Especially in a scout heavy environment. See Shadow Warriors -- Welcome back to the Meta for an excelent tactica on scouts.

As for the list, there are a fair few ways you can fit them in, depending on what you want and need.

One option is dropping the handmaiden. Assuming the handmaiden usually ends up in the sisters. This turns the sister from a relatively low cost annoyance unit into a price worth going after. Yes, the sister delivers some excellent shots. But does she really add that much to the list?

Another is to get a few points here and there. For instance, drop the champion + ogre blade on the DPs, potion of foolhardiness from the bsb and the charmed shield from the handmaiden and you have your SW unit.

As for the Eagle + spare points, do keep in mind that after you have deployed your scouts you can use them in roughly a similar role. No flying 20'' moves. So positioning is more important. But they can still redirect, stall overrun and be a general nuisance. Also, with the ability to start in most places on the board, they can get to some places faster then an eagle does at the start of the game.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
sparkytrypod

#4 Post by sparkytrypod »

whoops got it backwards, apologies.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Sinsigel

#5 Post by Sinsigel »

Prince of Spires wrote:As for the list, there are a fair few ways you can fit them in, depending on what you want and need.

One option is dropping the handmaiden. Assuming the handmaiden usually ends up in the sisters. This turns the sister from a relatively low cost annoyance unit into a price worth going after. Yes, the sister delivers some excellent shots. But does she really add that much to the list?

Another is to get a few points here and there. For instance, drop the champion + ogre blade on the DPs, potion of foolhardiness from the bsb and the charmed shield from the handmaiden and you have your SW unit.
You are spot on. In this 2.5k list, I'm basically choosing between two options : handmaiden or a uni of scouts plus additional bolt thrower.
(I can fit more things at 3k lists, as shown in http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=67207)
I found handmaiden's 3 S8 shots(which almost always hits on 2+) to be very usefull for chipping off wound from steam tanks, sphinxes and other tough, flying monsters.
(Or other T6 models such as ironblasters)

The fact that those S8 shots were one-use only wasn't much of a problem, since even bolt throwers could effectively shoot only in early turns.
Cavalry units usually wants to get into CC as soon as possible, while enemy chaffs are approaching my bolt throwers.
And during those crucial turn 1~2 shooting phase, even multiple bolt throwers fail to reliably hit and wound T6 monsters, hence the value of handmaiden combinations.
I still need more test playing, but the first option you suggested also suits me. Then the list would be tweaked like below.

Lords : 619pts
Prince(Halberd, Heavy Armour, Shield, Elven Steed - Ithilmar Barding, Giant Blade, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Endurance)
Archmage(Level 4, Elven Steed, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation) - High Magic

Heroes : 280pts
Noble(BSB, Dragon Armour, Elven Steed - Ithilmar Barding, Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Potion of Foolhardiness)
Noble(Level 1, Dispel Scroll) - Lore of Beasts

Core : 631pts
10 Archers(Standard Bearer, Musician)
11 Silver Helms(Shields, Full Command)
6 Silver Helms(Shields, Musician)
5 Ellyrian Reavers(Musician)

Special : 514pts
11 Dragon Princes of Caledor(Full Command, Ogre Blade, Charmed Shield, Banner of the World Dragon)
5 Shadow Warriors

Rare : 456pts
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle
9 Sisters of Avelorn

2,500pts