How to use a dragon mage

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andros123

How to use a dragon mage

#1 Post by Andros123 »

Hi.

I am going to a tournament which is a bit comped. Their is a 100 pts discount for taken a dragon mage, which brings it down to a fair 285 if upgraded to a lvl. 2.
Also, I really love the model, so i figure I'll bring it.

So how would you guys run this model? I was thinking about giving him the gem of sunfire, while using the dragons firebreath and casting fireballs. Then putting the rest of the points in defensive equipment.
My overall list will be very aggressive with no boltthrowers, but dragon princes, frostheart and maybe also silverhelms.

Any advice on how to field and play this guy?
Orien

Re: How to use a dragon mage

#2 Post by Orien »

My typical build is to avoid making him a lvl2 as fireball just isnt needed with all the BS4 shooting we have available, I like that we have flaming sword as a default on the DM. Lvl1 therefore is fine.

My items setup is usually Gem of Sunfire, Enchanted Shield and Dawnstone (Dragon Armour being included goes without saying). I find that a well placed breath weapon, supplemented by sword of rhuin and gem of sunfire is brutal versus any large infantry block whether T4 or T3. Plus if you have a 2+ re-rollable with the armour set-up, you are usually more survivable than an archmage with his 4++ Talisman of pres.

I really enjoy playing Dragonmages. You will also find that they are psychologically superb too, your warmachine hunters are almost free to do whatever they like once dragon fever kicks in with your opponent!
Baleanoon

#3 Post by Baleanoon »

I like 2+ armour, Gem of Sunfire. Leaves lots of room for an arcane item. I would make him level 2 to get the most out of his ability. I also love his flexibility, you can either run him combat or shooty based on the opponent. Fireball and a 2nd dd/mm and breath weapon against people with limited shooting or Flaming sword and fire cloak against lists you want to be in combat with.

I have a Star Dragon, Dragon Mage, Frostheart, Flamespyre lists in my head I would love to play if I can find the spare cash for a carmine dragon.
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
pk-ng

#4 Post by pk-ng »

I've always taken mine Level 2

1) For starters you can't "default" to Flaming Sword. You have to have it.
2) +3 and +4 to cast is a big difference
3) Fireball is a great spell to "default" to as 2d6, 3d6 version are very easy to cast and it's quite threatening to skirmishers and war machines
4) I'm currently running Lvl 2 - Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown + Random Item. It gives him a 2+ with 2++ (once) to protect against cannon . Due to point limits I gave him the Scroll of Shielding but Gem Sunfire is also a decent item.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Andros123

#5 Post by Andros123 »

Thank you for your answers so far :) .

What are your experiences with playing the dragon mage? Is it difficult to keep alive and how much combat do you let it see?

I trying to come up with a list, that supports having a dragon mage. So far it only make sense to me, to bring a hard hitting, fast army that can rush across the board and break enemies first turn (preferably :wink: ).
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Dragonmage is rubbish in combat. With alot of units sporting 1+/2+ AS S5/S3 doesn't really cut it.
Dragonmage is good against low AS infantry unit. Combo charge with frostie to minimise returning damage.
I use him as a mobile platform to cast 2d6/3d6 fireball and breath weapon and not for sustained combat.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Andros123

#7 Post by Andros123 »

Dragonmage is rubbish in combat. With alot of units sporting 1+/2+ AS S5/S3 doesn't really cut it.
Dragonmage is good against low AS infantry unit. Combo charge with frostie to minimise returning damage.
I use him as a mobile platform to cast 2d6/3d6 fireball and breath weapon and not for sustained combat.
I agree. That is also why I think, that the only way to field a dragon mage is beside units it can combo charge with. It is probably going to be difficult to pull of, but would it be sweet so sweet to see it shine on the battlefield.

So when you bring it to the table, what kind of army do you field as well?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

At a 100pts discount I would definitely give him a go. You're basically getting a sundragon as a hero choice with a free mage on top.

As for what to run alongside him I would consider the dragon mage a bit like a chariot on steroids. So you want combo charges, support for him and speed in the list. If you want to go for damage, you could always consider giving the mage the star lance. Yes, the mage only has 2 attacks. But with ASF, S6 and no armour saves it can give him a bit of a surprise in combat.

Options depend a bit on the points level. You could go double dragon and pair him with a SD. Alternatively, a frosty, DP bus and maybe a chariot or 2 could give a nice aggressive list.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
pk-ng

#9 Post by pk-ng »

Target Saturation is the key word
So another dragon, frostie, helms and RBTs to support.
Obviously you'll want BotWD for stubborn dragons :p
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
GrinningB@est

#10 Post by GrinningB@est »

You don't mention the points level, assume 2400-2500? You could run three dragons with that comp. One out of lords, and two from heroes. 2 lvl 2's on Fire isn't a bad magic set up. Not well equipped, but you could run 2 lvl 1's too, double Flaming Sword is nothing to sneeze at (or 1 of each, you could get a dispell scroll in still). Additional target saturation could be well achieved with Frosties. Maybe run your core as a combination of archers and silver helms? Probably not the most effective build, since you couldn't bring a BSB, but fun!

For advice on how to run a dragon (or any gribbly actually) I'm a fan of Da-Warpath's Wyvern Tactica, I'd post a link but the site seems to be having trouble. Effectively though, I says that no matter how bad ass your model looks, you shouldn't be charging it into the front of anything, combo charges and corners and flanks are the way to go. Malorian runs a flying circus build that might be a good place to start your research.
Andros123

#11 Post by Andros123 »

You don't mention the points level, assume 2400-2500? You could run three dragons with that comp. One out of lords, and two from heroes. 2 lvl 2's on Fire isn't a bad magic set up. Not well equipped, but you could run 2 lvl 1's too, double Flaming Sword is nothing to sneeze at (or 1 of each, you could get a dispell scroll in still).
Yes, it is 2400 pts. Hehe, I actually didn't even thought about that. I don't have three dragons, and I find it a bit expensive to buy one, for this one tournament. However it would definitely be a fun list to try out!
Effectively though, I says that no matter how bad ass your model looks, you shouldn't be charging it into the front of anything, combo charges and corners and flanks are the way to go
I lost my Frosty a lot of time to static combat res, so I will be very aware of this. Actually I see the dragon mage more as going after my opponents chaff. That lvl. 2 mage is not going to survive many attacks back, even with a 2+. I'm not planning on bringing any bolt throwers, so their should be lots of chaff to eat.
Malorian runs a flying circus build that might be a good place to start your research.
Yes, I have actually seen a couple of his vids. There is definitely some material to go through:).