Best level 2 back up caster for loremaster?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

MartinElf

Best level 2 back up caster for loremaster?

#1 Post by MartinElf »

Hey up

so i deciding to run the loremaster for the very first time !!! next weekend

and need to work out what level 2 as a backup caster ( scroll Caddy ) i should have.

my list is a all round list.

Loremaster
Mounted BSB.
2 units of 15 archers,
10 helms
26 swordmasters
23 phoniex guard
2 bolt throwers
9 sisters
2 eagles

i think this is a fairly stand off list, put pressure on at the end of the game type list, as i have invested in shooting, i need to make the most of it really.

so the options for the lore i think are.

Shadow - Miasma, and then hopefully get either withering, or enfeebling foe.
Heavens - a lot of useful spells vs elves,
Light - try and get the 2d6 strength 5 banishment.
Death - snipe out the moonstone character

High - I really like the lore, but i find the ranges are too short for what i need them to do the back up caster, going be chilling with a unit of archers near the back of the board , so i need spells with pretty good range

if you can think of a one of the other lores to viable please post, i was contemplainting metal, but i really dont think there much 1+ stuff around, and i already have searing doom in there if i need it.

I am anticipating playing wood elves a fair few times, as they are super popular right now, where i am so i need to keep this in mind

first lore to get 3 votes wins :)
Cold Phoenix

Re: Best level 2 back up caster for loremaster?

#2 Post by Cold Phoenix »

What about lore of Beasts? Amber Spear, Curse of Anraheir and Wildform are all useful. I know that you've got Wildform on the Loremaster already, but it's a really good spell for the Swordmasters and Phoenix Guard. Most of the time it's hard to get off because the other player knows how good it is, so having a second cast is nasty.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

I'd go for heavens - Iceshard is a wickedly useful spell, having 2 is great. Beasts and Shadows are good options as well - likewise because of the signature spells.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Tethlis

#4 Post by Tethlis »

I very much like Heavens as a support Lore. Wind Blast is the only truly unfortunate spell, with a pile of useful utility/direct damage and possible the most useful Signature Spell in the game.

My other vote for your particular list would be Metal. Sometimes it's nice to be able to 6-dice Searing Doom with a "disposable" caster, and not have your Loremaster be the one to take the big Miscast hit.
Warden of Tor Galadh
NexS

#5 Post by NexS »

Tethlis wrote:I very much like Heavens as a support Lore. Wind Blast is the only truly unfortunate spell, with a pile of useful utility/direct damage and possible the most useful Signature Spell in the game.

My other vote for your particular list would be Metal. Sometimes it's nice to be able to 6-dice Searing Doom with a "disposable" caster, and not have your Loremaster be the one to take the big Miscast hit.
I had a bit of fun with wind blast in my last game where I blasted some knights into a marsh. it wasn't game-changing, but was certainly joyous for me
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

With only a lvl2 rolling for spells I would pick whichever lore has the best signature spell for your army. Hoping to get a specific spell out of the 6 isn't the most reliable strategy with only 2 rolls I think. And the fact that it gives you the signature twice is golden as well. It also lets you put a lot of pressure on your opponents dispelling.

The choice also depends on whether you're tailoring to your opponent or not and what armies you regularly run into if you're not tailoring your list.

Fire: fireball is a great spell vs other elves. So if WE are giving you issues, this can be a good choice. flaming sword and flame cage are nice. The rest of the lore not so much.
beasts: probably my favorite. +1S and toughness is great for SM and PG. Having it twice is even better. Most of the other spells have some good use as well.
metal: Searing doom is a pain for high armour units. Especially if you have it twice. Go to lore if you're facing a lot of armour.
light: A S6 MM is nice, but with only D6 hits, it's too random for me to really invest in. On the other hand, all spells in the lore (except for speed of light I feel) are useful and having the option to bubble them is great.
life: earth blood is not the best of spells, for a lvl 2 at least, since it targets his unit. Only useful if you're putting him in a big combat oriented unit. The rest of the lore needs throne, but that means only having 1 other spell and the chance of getting it is not that high with a lvl 2.
heavens: Iceshard is great. And the possibility of giving -2 to hit to something is even better. Rest of the lore is decent as well.
shadow: miasma and a bunch of remains in play spells. And a chance for either pit or mindrazor.
death: spirit leech on a lvl 2 is not great. Only LD8 reduces the effectiveness.

With this in mind, I would rate the lores in order:
beasts
heavens
shadow

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
MartinElf

#7 Post by MartinElf »

Hey

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't realise the army list for the event had to be in tonight
So I went for heaven's

This was mainly due to the range of the spells and casting values.

As my.levels 2 is going be camping out in a unit of archers, or sisters, he is most.proberly going be further then 12 inches from swordmasters or p guard. Which means boosted wildform, which means at least 4 dice off a level 2, which takes dice from the lore masters with the book,

Power of that combo, is how many spells can I cast with 6 or 7 dice phases, and if 4 go on wildform on the lvl 2 its not worth it

I intend to write some more reports I really like doing it. but we will see
Baleanoon

#8 Post by Baleanoon »

For me there are only a few sig spells worth doubling up on, Iceshard Blizzard, Spirit Leech, Searing Doom, and Melkoth's. Only 2 of those have a basic range of 48", Iceshard and Melkoth's. I would consider dropping him to a level 1, and giving him Khaine's Ring though, and chucking him in the PG unit, in that case you could give him High Magic lvl 2 scroll ring if you have the points for 3 spells to cast to bump the PG ward to 3+
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.