Are Swordsmasters viable @ 500 points?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

lost user 12

Are Swordsmasters viable @ 500 points?

#1 Post by lost user 12 »

I love the Swordsmasters, and we do a lot of 500 point tournaments at my local shop. I know, at T3 and 5+ armour they are as tough as tissue , but I'm wondering if anyone thinks they can still be used effectively in small battles. Any ideas?
Alcibiates

Re: Are Swordsmasters viable @ 500 points?

#2 Post by Alcibiates »

What comp restrictions are you using at 500pts? I would think that would guide how effective they would be. A five man unit at 65 puts is effective as heavy chaff in 2500 games, so I would think they would grandly be effective unless people are going crazy all cav lists.
Nagashias

#3 Post by Nagashias »

I would take two units of 5 :).

Remember, most enemy units are very weak too, so a unit at 65 points that can dish out 10 S5 WS6 attacks MUST be taken care of :)

Even tough matchups like Black Knights (T4, 2+ AS) will lose nearly two models before they even get to strike.

Actually, in even numbers, swordmasters stand up to Black Knights nearly perfectly even (the edge given to Swordmasters).

If the swordmasters flank the knights, they win outright.
Last edited by Nagashias on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Moved to Tactics forum.

SA
lost user 12

#5 Post by lost user 12 »

I like the idea of two units of 5. However, if I face a shooty army, I know those two units will be shot down pretty fast. Would it make more sense just to bunker a mage(which I intended to use as my general) in a group of phoenix guard?
lost user 14

#6 Post by lost user 14 »

Balls_of_Justice wrote:I like the idea of two units of 5. However, if I face a shooty army, I know those two units will be shot down pretty fast. Would it make more sense just to bunker a mage(which I intended to use as my general) in a group of phoenix guard?
I've been running a High Magic mage w/ Swordmasters at 500 points and it's been pretty great. Get a couple of spells off and you get a decent ward save up against shooting.

Mage:
-level 2
-High Magic

5 Ellyrian Reavers

10 Lothern Seaguard
-Full Command

10 Swordmasters
-Full Command

Total: 500

This is, obviously, based on the IoB boxset, but it's worked fairly well so far.
Sackree

#7 Post by Sackree »

I think at this low points it's best to split them up and take advantage of huge fact that they can be run in units of 5. At 500 points your opponent should not have too much shooting and it is more than possible for you to easily shoot of his shooters as we have good ranged units. A whipped up this quick list to see what you thought

+++ 500pt HE (500pts) +++
+++ 500pt High Elves 8th Ed Roster (Standard)) +++

Selections:

High Elves 8th Ed (Standard) Selections:

+ Heroes + (110pts)

* Mage (110pts)
Lore of Fire
* Magic Items
(BRB) Ruby Ring of Ruin

+ Core + (150pts)

* Archers (150pts)
15x Archer, Longbow

+ Special + (156pts)

* Sword Masters of Hoeth (78pts)
Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, 6x Sword Master

* Sword Masters of Hoeth (78pts)
Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, 6x Sword Master

+ Rare + (84pts)

* Sisters of Avelorn (84pts)
Bow of Avelorn, Light Armor, 6x Sisters of Avelorn

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

As you can see, it provides you with a lot of firepower to clear away enemy shooters coming from the archers, sisters and mage.
I choose fire on the mage mainly for the increased range over soul squench, but you can swap him to a high mage with khaines ring for the same cost if you prefer that spell and he will still provide you with plenty 2 great magic missiles.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
lost user 12

#8 Post by lost user 12 »

Thanks for the feedback, I really want to try that list now. Until i get the Sisters, do you think a bolt thrower would be a good replacement?
Nicene

#9 Post by Nicene »

18 swordmasters: 234
6 helms: 126
1 eagle: 50
1 mage, ironcurse icon: 90
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]