walk between worlds & a unit that has failed a charge

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

sparkytrypod

walk between worlds & a unit that has failed a charge

#1 Post by sparkytrypod »

this question will blur the lines a bit between rules forum and tactics depending on the answer so mods can decide its eventual home.

so this situation arose today when my star dragon failed a simple charge leaving him exposed to a counter charge.

so onto the magic phase, in comes boosted walk between worlds and my star dragon general is now 20" away and free from danger.

myself and my opponent both agreed this was ok.

I have 2 questions:

1: is this legal as normally a unit that fails a charge may not move again that turn? RAW on the spell it should be.
2: Can a flyer or dragon in this case use his fly rule in conjunction with this spell to fly over units etc? again RAW it seems ok.

on a side note, I played a star dragon list V a standard high elf foot sloggin list today and I found the high magic quite usefull in this match up.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Wicksi

Re: walk between worlds & a unit that has failed a charge

#2 Post by Wicksi »

I'm very certain that you would be able to use your fly move as it says that you may move as if it was remaining moves and since you can fly in remaining moves no question about it.

However if you can use it after a failed charge?
One side of me wants to say yes as I think they only put the "as if it was remaining move" to clearify how it should be done instead of writing a 3page description of how you can and cant move in the spell.
The other side would say no you cant because failed charge strictly forbids you to move in remaining move.

My guess would be that RAI you can but RAW you can't.
So this probably all depends on who you meet.

This is my interpretation of the matter however :)
Sinsigel

#3 Post by Sinsigel »

Here is what I think : while spell allows the target to move as if it were in the remaining moves-sub phase,
strictly speaking it is done at the magic phase, not the movement phase. So it is allowed for a unit which has failed to charge to
'move' by using walk between worlds.
Eirik

#4 Post by Eirik »

I mean, a unit that reforms can't move again during the remaining moves phase, but no one argues that they cannot 'walk between worlds' that turn. The spell allows you to make a move when you normally couldn't so doesn't it count as an exception, whether you charged or not?
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Question this raises foe me then is: can you also use it to move a unit that is fleeing? It feels a bit like bending the rules. But it amounts to the same thing.

a unit reforming is not the same thing though. Not being allowed to move and not being allowed to move again are very different. After all, the reform is done in the remaining moves phase. It's a bit like saying a unit that has marched is not allowed to move again in the remaining moves phase.

I would go for not allowed. If you are fleeing or failed a charge, you are not allowed to move in the remaining moves phase. The spell lets you move as in the remaining moves phase, which you are not allowed to do.

but that's more gut feeling then anything else. Is there a ruling for this for some of the other movement spells?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Vinke

#6 Post by Vinke »

Hahaha using it on fleeing units :P

"chasing me off the board eh? I think not!" it would be a super way to se that your now under 25% unit wont become a casualty for running off the board :D

Altho I doubt you are allowed to do that :cry: