Tactica: Mage on dragon

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mylle

Re: Tactica: Mage on dragon

#31 Post by Mylle »

I agree with Rod, except I'm not sure savage beast also work on the dragon, if so that'd be epic though :twisted: . Besides that, the way I see it, the MSU unit would die for sure, the bus ofc wouldn't. Still I don't understand how you wouldn't win combat though? What do you expect will make them lose combat? Return wounds, static combat res? If you don't charge from the front, combat res can be ignored (which is always a smart thing to do).

Steadfast is a bummer in the case of a bus, so you will obviously need a support unit to counter the ranks if you want them to break, but that's always the case with that type of enemy troops. Otherwise it'll turn into a grind match which unsupported on both sides, I think you will win in the end with your dragons unless they get the reform and we are talking about really big bus. You should ofc try to prevent this. (charge both flanks with a dragon each?)

I do agree that against AS1+ troops s7 is the tipping point where you actually start to really slice through them, no doubt. I wonder however, how often do you encounter those? That's what I meant with in general s7 is overboard. For this theoryhammer I find it interesting though, what units are we talking about exactly and how often and in what size do we encounter them? Those I know that have AS1+ are empire knights, demigryph knights and chaos knights.

Empire knights I don't expect to deal too much return damage on your dragons, IC maybe a bit more but you should be able to cope with it I think. They are the cheapest of the 3 I mentioned (I think) and probably fielded in bus formation.

Demigryphs, I have only encountered in MSU of 3. Still I guess 6 are possible. A buss of those seems like a really huge point sink, in which case you might consider feeding it a small unit or 2 and destroying everything around it.

Chaos knight can be a pain, especially chosen, but again a bus of those is like an immense point sink.

Also an interesting note is, when you take lore of the beast you might also have the amber spear or curse of anraheir. Both can potentially cause large damage on a AS1+ cav bus. I would be in favor of the amber spear for demigryphs and anraheir for regular cav bus.
Mylle

#32 Post by Mylle »

I read the text of SBoH and it indeed states you can cast it on a friendly character and the MODEL gains +3 A & S. I would assume if only the character itself would gain the benefit, they would explicitly say character instead of model? Woah.This would take my setup to a new lvl of pain :) :twisted:

After some googling I see a lot of arguments pro and contra and no FAQ. I think I officially entered the danger zone :). I can't imagine why they haven't FAQ this one yet.
pk-ng

#33 Post by pk-ng »

Mylle wrote: I do agree that against AS1+ troops s7 is the tipping point where you actually start to really slice through them, no doubt. I wonder however, how often do you encounter those? That's what I meant with in general s7 is overboard. For this theoryhammer I find it interesting though, what units are we talking about exactly and how often and in what size do we encounter them? Those I know that have AS1+ are empire knights, demigryph knights and chaos knights.
Really dependent on Meta / Comp system.
Units
Empire Knights
Demigryph Knight
Chaos Knights (yes seldom seen)
Skullcrushers

WoC heroes on mounts (usually Daemonic Mounts)
Empire Combat heroes
DE heroes on any mounts
Most combat heroes
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Mylle

#34 Post by Mylle »

Ah yeah skullcrushers too and ofc lots of heroes. They are in general the enemy of elves aren't they. :) Well in that case metal magic or okkams mindrazor from shadow are perhaps better. I do think the amber spear or curse of anraheir could help though.
pk-ng

#35 Post by pk-ng »

Mylle wrote:Ah yeah skullcrushers too and ofc lots of heroes. They are in general the enemy of elves aren't they. :) Well in that case metal magic or okkams mindrazor from shadow are perhaps better. I do think the amber spear or curse of anraheir could help though.
Relying on magic is not the best way to approach things.
IMO magic is there to assist / give boost as a redundancy not something to rely on.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support