Special Unit Formation

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Spartoi81

Special Unit Formation

#1 Post by Spartoi81 »

When putting together a unit of Swordmasters, Phoenix Guard, or White Lions of about 20 or so models, would you try and maximize offensive output, by making the unit as wide as possible while still keeping the unit 3 deep, or try and maximize ranks by only going 5 wide in order to keep a few ranks after we sustain casualties?

Thanks for any and all input!
Teledor

Re: Special Unit Formation

#2 Post by Teledor »

WLs and SMs I usually always go as wide as keeping them at max three deep would allow. PG it's really up to you the static CR from 5x4 is nice, but bringing 20 attacks vs 15 will likely boost CR too. Kind depends on how you're planning on utilizing the unit.
Eirik

#3 Post by Eirik »

Always remember that you can determine your unit shape while deploying, AFTER seeing what your opponent has to offer.

Against a block of 50 skaven slaves, empire halberds or night goblins I prefer to deploy 5-wide and deep, to break them with ranks and minimize their attacks. Against many other threats I want to deploy a bit wider.

For White-lions, I find that it usually makes sense to have as many models attacking as possible, so I deploy them 10-wide if they have enough numbers, though units of 3x7 are good. With PG I prefer to deploy thinner to take advantage of static combat resolution which synergizes with their ward saves. For swordmasters I can go any which way.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
iamchrisatkin

#4 Post by iamchrisatkin »

i've found 7 across for all special choices to be really effective. it maximizes your attacks, while keeping narrow enough to reduce attacks against your from most hoard formations.
[color=#FF0000][b]FOR SIGMAR[/b][/color] wait.....who do we fight for again?
Eirik

#5 Post by Eirik »

iamchrisatkin wrote:i've found 7 across for all special choices to be really effective. it maximizes your attacks, while keeping narrow enough to reduce attacks against your from most hoard formations.
This will only really prevent 1 file of attacks from a horde, or about 10% (less counting characters and champs).
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
pk-ng

#6 Post by pk-ng »

Generally speaking it depends on the enemy and how they deploy their blocks

If I have SM I always deploy them as wide as possible so
Models with 20mm @ 5 wide - 7 wide
models with 25mm @ 5 wide - 8 wide
this is to maximise their A2 profile

If I have PGs I usually deployment them 5 wide to maximise their SCR.

If I have WL it really depends what I'm going to fight against so it varies from army to army.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#7 Post by Prince of Spires »

I follow pk-ng's idea as well.

SM benefit from going wider, since only the front rank gets 2A while the back ranks only get 1 attack. This generally means 7 wide, though if there is room and no other unit to join in the fight from the front I wouldn't hesitate to make them 12 wide against a horde of something.

PG I generally run 5 wide (I often take a unit of 15 with the razor banner). 15 ASF attacks does enough hits and the static combat resolution starts counting here.

WL I usually take in 3 ranks and go from there. Stubborn means ranks are less important. 3 deep means all get to attack. And you reduce attacks back a bit. Generally not wider then 7, since file # 8 doesn't get to attack anyway.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.