Why the Hate on Spearmen and Core Units?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eltherion2

Re: Why the Hate on Spearmen and Core Units?

#61 Post by Eltherion2 »

One thing I haven't mentioned is Swedish Comp.

The HE's are capped at 50 archers under this system then you get hit pretty hard over this limit. I have tended to use Sisters, Shadow Warriors (higher BS) and RBT's on the table rather than core archers due to the archer Composition Cap.

So my current list (Swedish 13) I have been using has Spearmen and PG both of which go ok vs WE's due to the number of bodies on the table. The extra rank fighting is also pretty good vs low toughness low armour save troops.

Also the Banner of Eternal Flame is good to help vs. Trolls, Hellpits , Ogre buffs, etc....
Last edited by Eltherion2 on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highest Australian Ranking 31
2015 Club Championship (Runner Up)
2014: 2nd Place Barglecon II, 2nd Place Conviction (High Elves)
2013 Barglecon I Best General (High Elves)
2011 M.O.A.B 10th Place (Dark Elves)
2010 Devilcon 4th Place, Blood on the Reich 2nd Place (Skaven)
MartinElf

#62 Post by MartinElf »

I would like to add one major point, this is a 3000 point game.

Change it back to 2400. Then run say 750 point core. You can say bye bye too two large blocks of elites which is far better. And archers and helms and reavers are all better core units than spears.

The larger the games get I think 50spears would be great especially in a teclis list with mindrazor
Rabidnid

#63 Post by Rabidnid »

MartinElf wrote:I would like to add one major point, this is a 3000 point game.

Change it back to 2400. Then run say 750 point core. You can say bye bye too two large blocks of elites which is far better. And archers and helms and reavers are all better core units than spears.

The larger the games get I think 50spears would be great especially in a teclis list with mindrazor
Given that there are about 30 posts why spears are different to archers, you might like to read the thread.
"Luck is the residue of design"
MartinElf

#64 Post by MartinElf »

Really a spearmen is different to an archer. Wow I never noticed that thanks :).

If you read my post I say in larger games they work well but when you lower the game size helms.and archers come a lot Vetter then spears...in my oppinion
Rabidnid

#65 Post by Rabidnid »

MartinElf wrote:Really a spearmen is different to an archer. Wow I never noticed that thanks :).

If you read my post I say in larger games they work well but when you lower the game size helms.and archers come a lot Vetter then spears...in my oppinion
Which is wrong.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Wicksi

#66 Post by Wicksi »

Eltherion2 wrote:One thing I haven't mentioned is Swedish Comp.

The HE's are capped at 50 archers under this system then you get hit pretty hard over this limit. I have tended to use Sisters, Shadow Warriors (higher BS) and RBT's on the table rather than core archers due to the archer Composition Cap.

So my current list (Swedish 13) I have been using has Spearmen and PG both of which go ok vs WE's due to the number of bodies on the table. The extra rank fighting is also pretty good vs low toughness low armour save troops.

Also the Banner of Eternal Flame is good to help vs. Trolls, Hellpits , Ogre buffs, etc....
As a frequent user of swedish comp I'm fairly sure the cap is 50 "shooters" where bows (not longbows) and archers count as 2for 1.

So you could get 100 archers before you reach that cap if you dont go with RBT/sister/shadow warrior unit.
pk-ng

#67 Post by pk-ng »

Wicksi wrote:

As a frequent user of swedish comp I'm fairly sure the cap is 50 "shooters" where bows (not longbows) and archers count as 2for 1.

So you could get 100 archers before you reach that cap if you dont go with RBT/sister/shadow warrior unit.
Then you must be frequently wrong? because as I'm looking at it bows are 2 for 1 but but longbows and bows of avelorn are 1 for 1...you do know archers carry longbows while sea guard carry bows....
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Wicksi

#68 Post by Wicksi »

pk-ng wrote:
Wicksi wrote:

Then you must be frequently wrong? because as I'm looking at it bows are 2 for 1 but but longbows and bows of avelorn are 1 for 1...you do know archers carry longbows while sea guard carry bows....
Currently looking at version 1.12.2 it says
Shooting each model* with one or more bows**/Longbow/Bows of avelorn in the army after 50
*each eagle claw bolt thrower counts as 12 models
**Only count every 2nd archer or model with bow

So unless I missunderstood the term "archer" you seem to be mistaken or be looking at an older version.
pk-ng

#69 Post by pk-ng »

Wicksi wrote:
pk-ng wrote:
Wicksi wrote: As a frequent user of swedish comp I'm fairly sure the cap is 50 "shooters" where bows (not longbows) and archers count as 2for 1.

Currently looking at version 1.12.2 it says
Shooting each model* with one or more bows**/Longbow/Bows of avelorn in the army after 50
*each eagle claw bolt thrower counts as 12 models
**Only count every 2nd archer or model with bow

So unless I missunderstood the term "archer" you seem to be mistaken or be looking at an older version.
interesting. essentially shadow warriors are the exclusion.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
RedPanda

#70 Post by RedPanda »

100 archers? :-k

Not too sure that is enough [-X