Death star unit?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

grandalf

Death star unit?

#1 Post by grandalf »

Hi!
I'm planning my list for a mini tournament this Sunday and I have a question: would a PG unit with a Banner of the world Dragon be considered a death star unit? Just to know how much whining I should expect. ..

/g
RE.Lee

Re: Death star unit?

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

On its own? Hell no (unless its, like, 40-50)!

If you put 3-4 characters in it, it might.

How many PGs and whats the point limit?
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
grandalf

#3 Post by grandalf »

I'm planning to have a BSB and a lvl 4 lite of Light in the unit. The swedish comp system doesn't allow me more PG's, unfortunately..

It's a 2400 p, 15-18 comp tournament.
grandalf

#4 Post by grandalf »

24 PG's...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

It's on PG, it's fine.

Daemons have nothing to complain about anyway.
Dalamar

#6 Post by Dalamar »

Why would you waste a banner of the world dragon on them though?

Anointed with Khaine's Ring and you have 2++ against magic and 3++ against everything else.
RE.Lee

#7 Post by RE.Lee »

24 PGs with a BSB and a Level 4 is no deathstar, you're fine :) I agree that putting the BotWD on PGs is not the best option - they might benefit more from any of +1M/+1Ld/AP.

Good luck!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#8 Post by Curu Olannon »

You should probably take a look at this thread: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63023
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

No deathstar != no complaining.

Just because something can be beaten does not mean you will not receive any complaints about it, especially in a friendlier setting. BotWD will get you complaints against some people when it's on any half powerful unit. There is nothing you can do about that. So if that is your worry, then either accept you will get some complaints from someone or just don't take it.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Bashtrigger

#10 Post by Bashtrigger »

My friends always whine if I take it, even if it doesn't hurt them at all (I think they just do it out of principle, because they believe it should never have been invented in the first place).

Then again, I tend to make soft but enjoyable lists for friendly play to start with, so if I want to take the banner, they can whine all they like but I'll still be fielding it.

The only thing one should be carefull about IMO is not to try to field 'the best' list, as this tends to narrow your games. Playing friendly is best done by trying out lists nowone else ever thought about (at least not to your knowledge), that way all games will be interesting, and nowone can complain about overpoweredness.

In my group we strictly separate competitive from friendly. If we fight battles, the first things we ask to eachother will always be: friendly or competative? If, in a friendly game, you're playing the kind of list every other player with the same army would field, you'll get boo'ed for lack of imagination. In competative games, all is fair though :wink:

To clarify, my Dwarf friend would never take an all out gunline to a friendly game, you would face a single cannon and an organ gun at most. In a competative game, you shouldn't be surprised to see a pair of either at the very least.

It keeps your games fun to switch off between competative and friendly games, that way you'll get to go all out at some times, while having a good shot with bizarre lists at other times.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#11 Post by Curu Olannon »

By the way: Whining and tournament? Makes little sense to me... If the tournament wants to stay clear of these lists the organizers can simply introduce comp!
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Bashtrigger

#12 Post by Bashtrigger »

Ha, it's for a tournament :shock: , in that case don't worry one little bit about whiners, everybody takes the best they can to those. You're bound to see worse than PG with BotWD. And remember what I said about all is fair in competative play? Well a tournament is competative :evil: