Handling Dark Elves (& their Corsairs)

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Asur Fire

Handling Dark Elves (& their Corsairs)

#1 Post by Asur Fire »

Hey guys, I did a search in hopes for some help but it doesn't seem like anyone is having to deal with Corsairs (maybe I should be happy I'm not having to deal with lots of RXB's). Out of the small group I've began playing with I keep facing a Dark Elf player who fields Corsairs. The Special units like White Lions & Swordmasters suffer from taking a load of hits which wound due to all the re-rolls before they get to hit. I've been thinking about using cavalry, but Silver Helms don't seem like they'll have enough attacks to win combat & Dragon Princes seem like they should be used elsewhere.

That brings me to magic. As a new player I know I'm not good about getting the Mage where he needs to be all the time, but there's also the issue of a bad phase or getting dispelled. Additionally, in games of Triumph & Treachery, when you get to cast magic changes every turn.

I haven't seen a lot even on how to deal with Witch Elves, which I realize can get pulled around from Frenzy. Is anyone else dealing with this problem?
Cold Phoenix

Re: Handling Dark Elves (& their Corsairs)

#2 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Dark Elves are a bad matchup for White Lions and to a lesser extent Swordmasters. I deal with this by using Swordmasters with a High Magic Archmage. Alternatively, Pheonix Guard with the Razor Banner are very good at dealing with Dark Elves. They tear through Corsairs because they have higher weapon skill, S4 AP, Martial Prowess, Heavy Armour and a 4+ ward save.
endontoddy

#3 Post by endontoddy »

Asur Fire wrote:which wound due to all the re-rolls before they get to hit.
Do they get to reroll to wound? Unless they are in the bubble of a Cauldron of Blood Dark Elves only get to reroll failed to wound close combat attacks do they not?
Asur Fire wrote:I haven't seen a lot even on how to deal with Witch Elves, which I realize can get pulled around from Frenzy. Is anyone else dealing with this problem?
Witch Elves are nasty, but suffer from all the classic elven weaknesses: Low toughness and poor armour (none in their case). Bowfire will cut them down, or if available something like Fiery Convoocation will tear through them.
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

Witch Elves are best left alone and chaffed out or redirected with frenzy overruns.

Corsairs can actually be taken on pretty well by a Frosty if you have one and some other CC units. They are nowhere near as good as Witch Elves. If it is a big bunker with caudron though, again just leave it alone and kill the rest of the army.
Dalamar

#5 Post by Dalamar »

Witch elves can win games on their own, I've seen it happen and I've done it. Corsairs are a sub par choice compared to other dark elf core (but not as bad as swords or spears)
Nicene

#6 Post by Nicene »

Do witch elves have any defense available vs. shooting and magic?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
John Rainbow

#7 Post by John Rainbow »

Nicene wrote:Do witch elves have any defense available vs. shooting and magic?
If they are in a unit with the cauldron they have a 5++.
Dalamar

#8 Post by Dalamar »

And 4++ against magic.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

The other thing is, that if you're shooting the Witch Elves, you're not shooting the Warlocks, Shades, DR's etc, so board control suffers. But I guess it depends who's got more shooting.
Asur Fire

#10 Post by Asur Fire »

Thanks for the replies guys. Currently I'm playing in an escalation league & we're only at 1,500, so I kinda think Corsairs might appear to be stronger than they are (the player also uses a Karybdis which attracts my attention). Against Witch Elves I could use missile fire, but the Corsairs have that 4+ AS which seems to really block my puny arrows. I think a mistake I've been making is sending the White Lions in, when I should send the Sword Masters in (but I've been using them against the Cold One Knights).
Dawnstrider

#11 Post by Dawnstrider »

I think this situation could greatly benefit from having a loremaster instead of an Archmage. (Assuming you were using an Archmage) In any of the matchups you listed, between Wyssans and Earthblood on your unit and Miasma and Iceshard Blizzard on his unit, you could make in pretty one-sided. You will not likely get all of these off at the same time but even if you get half of them, it wouldn't matter which, would help greatly. Also, it would help with the issues you were having with your mages' positioning. Wyssans can be extended to 24", Iceshard can be extended to 48" and Misasma comes with a base 48". Earth Blood, however has no range. Also the Lore of Shadow attribute can help you move your Lormaster around the battlefield povided you have another character within 18" If you had a Reaver Bow wielding BSB within 12" or 24" if boosted of your Loremaster, He can benifit from Wyssan's too and either harass the witch elves or pop a potion of strength and help with the Hydra.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#12 Post by Curu Olannon »

SpellArcher wrote:The other thing is, that if you're shooting the Witch Elves, you're not shooting the Warlocks, Shades, DR's etc, so board control suffers. But I guess it depends who's got more shooting.
This +1000000

The one saving grace for facing WE is their frenzy. Corsairs don`t have this problem but they are far inferior to WE. True, they are hard for our elites to face, but we have other solutions available. Cavalry + characters will slaughter them no end, for example.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#13 Post by SpellArcher »

I've noticed that if you have a strong shooting phase backed up by good magic and knights etc you have a decent chance of clearing the chaff early and then shooting up the blocks. Otherwise you tend to have your hands full and never enjoy this luxury.