Friendly tournament: what about Lizardmen?

Discuss your tactics for the 8th Ed army book here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mathias

Friendly tournament: what about Lizardmen?

#1 Post by Mathias »

Hi people,

I'm in to Warhammer for about half a year now, and I don't get to play verry often nor do I get to play many people (and thus not many armies). 2 of my friends play WoC (kinda ironic, since my playgroup consists of 3 people) and the third one plays mostly Dark Elves and Ogres (but he has a VC army as well). So my list is created to face both WoC and DE (his main army).

Now, this saturday we will be having a friendly tournament, and I've invited someone from my LGS who was looking for people to play. I know he plays Lizardmen, but I have no clue what to expect of that army.
Mathias wrote: Lords (320):

Archmage Lvl 4 (High) (320)
  • Boek of Hoeth
  • Talisman of Preservation
Heroes (300):

Noble BsB (145)
  • Longbow
  • Dragon Armour
  • Sword of Anti-Heroes
  • Enchanted Shield
Mage Lvl 2 (Metal) (155)
  • Dispel Scroll
  • Golden Crown of Atrazar
Core (502):

9 Silver Helms (237)
  • Shields
  • Full Command
5 Ellyrian Reavers (95)
  • Bows
  • Musician
16 Archers (170)
  • Musician
Special (560):

5 Dragon Princes of Caledor (210)
  • Full Command
  • War Banner
18 Phoenix Guard (350)
  • Full Command
  • Banner of the World Dragon
Rare (310):

Frostheart Phoenix (240)

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower (70)
All characters are in the Phoenix Guard unit. High Magic, because I love it, and Metal because it rapes WoC and is pretty ok against DE.

My 2 main questions:

What can I expect at 2000 points Lizardmen?

Can this list be optimised baring in mind I would like to keep my good match-ups vs WoC and DE?
pk-ng

Re: Friendly tournament: what about Lizardmen?

#2 Post by pk-ng »

BSB - If you are going to keep him infantry you should get him Shield of the Merwyrm to at least give him a 4++. Longbow is a useless investment unless you have points left over.
Lvl 2 - TBH I wouldn't bother with the Golden Crown. He's relatively cheap and won't be an issue if he dies.

DPs - Drop the champion. He provide no value and can be cannon sniped. I would also drop the SB and the War Banner as it just isn't worth investing. 5 man team DPs are fast shock troop to be used to kill other shock troops and chaff. You don't need a war banner for that roll. Keep them cheap.

PGs - 18 isn't bigger enough imo. You need at least 20+....25+ is preferred. Why BotWD? PGs already have 4++ adding in the BotWD doesn't add that much value for 50points. I would give Razor Banner to give them more combat punch.

Overall you list doesn't have much combat punch which you may need when versusing LM and WoC.

You typical LM list will have Slaan, 1 skink priest and as many Scar Vets on Cold Ones he can fit. Core you probably have some skink skirmishers are chaff and whatever he fancies. He will probably also have a Steg and whatever toys he wants. LM will have alot of chaff which you army should be able to handle with your armoured shock troops.

FYI Scar Vets are usually AS1+ T5 S6 A4
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support